The MT-07 Forum

Survey: Preload-adjustable fork caps

pattonme

The poll is to gauge color preferences or even interest of the community.

This is not a for-sale posting. Current estimate offering price would be $60/pair. Several votes have indicated that is too high. In the comments, I would appreciate you leaving a message as to what you think it fair. If you have an opinion on what a colored set should cost (vs current offerings on ebay at $99), feel free to opine.

They would look just like the GSXR retrofit caps sans color and no little adjuster in the center. If you want a splash of color, on eBay there are lots of "manual preload knobs" in all kinds of shapes. You would look for an application for 2001-2003 GSXR600. The flats are 14mm across and the rod is dia=18mm.

zAT91dd.jpg

Any interest?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

150+ views and 3 voters? Voting is free guys, no commitment to buy.

I might be able to make them for $50 without losing my shirt. maybe. 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

You can still register your color preferences. What I'm looking for is does anybody care, and if so what colors are popular so that IF I'm able to offer colored, what is in demand.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I voted, seems like a great deal to me. Would these combined with some properly sized springs be a decent upgrade over stock? Im a newbie and not out carving corners every weekend, mostly riding to,from work. Thx

• Premium Member

Voted for silver or black as an alternate (for what is it worth)... I am assuming these are only added after the springs are upgraded, but I dont know enough about spring upgrade options and related costs/effort/skillset to determine if I would opt to do that at this time, so I can't comment on my opinion of a good price point for these parts. I have read a few threads on here about it, but just dont fully know the in's & outs of it all yet. I am wondering if that is the same issue for the many people who did not vote.

Anyway, if/when I bought something of this nature, I would prefer to keep it as close to the stock look as possible.

unless you're ~140lbs the stock springs aren't for you. But you can change the caps any time you like.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I voted, seems like a great deal to me. Would these combined with some properly sized springs be a decent upgrade over stock? Im a newbie and not out carving corners every weekend, mostly riding to,from work. Thx

There are a few threads over in the suspension board that complain about excessive fork dive as delivered. Yes, the right fork springs make a significant improvement in stability and feel. Preload-adjustable caps allow you to dial in the needed amount of preload to arrive at optimal sag numbers without taking the cap off, adding more washers or cutting a longer spacer, putting it back on, and re-measuring. Repeat.

It's also rather handy if you go 2-up, you can add in some extra to handle the weight and back it right out when you're done.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
There are a few threads over in the suspension board that complain about excessive fork dive as delivered. Yes, the right fork springs make a significant improvement in stability and feel. Preload-adjustable caps allow you to dial in the needed amount of preload to arrive at optimal sag numbers without taking the cap off, adding more washers or cutting a longer spacer, putting it back on, and re-measuring. Repeat. 
It's also rather handy if you go 2-up, you can add in some extra to handle the weight and back it right out when you're done.
Cool, thanks

pantheraleo

I don't see how to vote. Is it because I'm on Tapatalk? I'm interested FWIW. Black & Silver.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

howlinhoss
I don't see how to vote. Is it because I'm on Tapatalk? I'm interested FWIW. Black & Silver.
I couldn't vote from the app on my phone. Had to go on the computer.

I voted. I love the natural color, and gold looks great too. I'm planning on getting the fork mod from you so I presume that I will be getting a pair of fork caps like these?

presume that I will be getting a pair of fork caps like these?
The fork mod comes with the gold+blue as pictured. If I get/make silver parts then I'll offer you a choice. but I don't have a schedule for that.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

have to use the web-site to vote, apparently. Come on people, be like the Greeks.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Voted. To be honest, I am not sure what purpose the preload cap really serves by itself. If you put these in by themselves, the stock springs and damping are poop. If buy different springs, the damping is still shiet. If you buy a new rod with springs, then it usually comes with an adjustable cap already.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

~80% of the problem is wrong spring. Obviously adjustable preload is much more convenient when trying to set sag or deal with different situations (loaded up, 2-up, track vs street) than having to live with whatever setup you chose (by guess and by golly) when installing said springs.

You are correct, fork caps+spring alone does nothing to address poopy damping. For that there are, well, various solutions. If you go there, then of course proper fork caps are part of the solution.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I agree with pattonme that MOST of the problem can be solved changing springs and oil, that's what I did. I still might decide to have pattonme do a full cartridge replacement when I can be without the bike for a time. It is definitely much better now though, especially with a new rear shock.
The fork caps would be great if you need to play with sag, but my sag is right on now, and I only ride 1 up, so I'll probably just keep as is for a while.

Why can't left turners see us?

I can't do them for even a dollar under $55 unfortunately.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived