The MT-07 Forum

Thinking of purchasing?

vipxxx

Hey guys I have a few questions. At the moment I have a sym joyride 200i and have had the bike for around 10 months now and I've done 12,000km, a few days ago for the first time i rode a cbr 125cc (first time having riden a manuel bike) and was suprised at how easy it is to change gears and take off (i always thought it was very hard) since then I have thought about getting myself a geared bike with a bit more power than a 200cc I have been looking into getting a 2015 mt07 with abs but I'm a bit worried 689cc is overkill and may be overpowered for me. Is the mt07 a good bike for learners and would it be suitable for someone who's 6"1 125kg??

Overkill? No. Not unless you're commuting in VERY congested area's and you never find yourself going over 45 mph.

Given your current taste in bikes im thinking that you're not located in the United States? Here in the States i would say that anything less than a 600cc will be too little in the long run unless you again, live in a city setting. You also mentioned ABS and we dont have that here so again im assuming that you live over seas somewhere.

The FZ07 is not hard to handle, its got a decent amount of torque but i have never even lifted my front wheel on this thing. If you know how to control the throttle the bike is very manageable and fun to ride. The only real downside is that until you get really good at clutch manipulation and throttle control, the engine braking at low speeds gets annoying really fast.

• Global Moderator

Pull the trigger, these bikes are a blast and a half, my little sister just used mine this past weekend for the msf riding course.

She's 5'0 at 100lbs wet, never ridden before. Well shea ridden passenger on mine a couple times

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

I don't think it's overkill. But is is a lot of bike if you know what I mean. Which is good because you won't get bored anytime soon.
The most important thing is that is is light and easy to handle. The engine is torquey but it all depends on how you use it. If you limit your twist of the wrist you'll be good I am sure. And the bike will grow with you while you built up more experience.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

its good bike for anyone. the throttle response is mellow. the bike is fast if you want it to be, but very docile if thats your thing.

ive had a lot of bikes and the 07 is my favorite all-rounder.

-HowWorkClutch

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I'm the same height as you and I way 160 pounds. Bought this bike 5 days ago! I have no riding experience on the road and a very small amount on off road vehicles. It's a great learner bike. You can floor it and it is exciting as hell but won't throw you off or go flying out of control. Now with that being said you should still respect it. There is a fair bit of power but it is manageable. The sitting position is more up right somewhat like a sport touring bike which i find to be comfortable. You can't go wrong with this bike as a learner or even as an experienced rider from what I've read from all the reviews on the inter web. I was in the same boat as you the other week but you won't regret getting this sucker! 

• Premium Member

The fz-07/mt-07 is a great bike to own.owthe bike itself is very responsive to rider inputs...it will do what you want it to do unless one is not fully paying attention to what one is doing...the way the bike behaves reminds me of a yz450f dirt bike minus the suspension...I consider myself a pretty decent experienced rider but I have yet to get bored with the bike...maybe in a 3-4 years I will trade it in for the fz-09...this bike is a great all arounder...put a aftermarket seat on and your good to do some long distance...or if you want take the bike to the drag strip and kick some butt or you can upgrade the suspension by putting correct front springs in and upgrading the rear shock you can have a fairly decent track bike that can take on built r6 track bikes...the best thing is it's fairly cheap to replace the bike plastics and parts if one was to crash...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived