The MT-07 Forum

Rear Tire Slipped, Almost Wet Myself!

ornery

I'm a little late to the party here, but I have to agree with some of what I read. It seemed you were still off the throttle through the turn, so the weight wasn't on the rear tire as much as you'd like. I have watched the Twist of the Wrist II video a few times now. Very good tips in that. I've slipped on my FZ07 a few times, but it's usually tar snakes on the road. So far, they haven't caused enough issue yet. Just stay smooth and traction comes back quickly enough. You'll get used to it after a while and a little tire slippage won't really phase you anymore.

...plus it's 5:00 AM ... morning dew on the road? Was it humid? Dew on a tire snake is a bad combo and it looks like a divot in the corner, just enough to upset the traction.

• Premium Member

That happened to me once on my R6 but once I righted I just treated it like a "hell yes" moment, lol.

Just be safe and lean as much as you have to. If you go around pushing/testing the bikes limitations 'you will' either find them or find debris first which means there's a good chance you and bike will get banged up so is the testing worth that? A manicured race track would be a safer place to test. Be safe.

Beemer

You said that you have been starting to lean more and more right? Well think of it like this. How often do you ride on the side of your tire like that? My guess is not much so that part of the tire isn't scuffed in yet and still leaching mold release compound. What I do with new tires is take the bike into a vacant parking lot and start riding in circles and take the bike lower and lower to get the chicken stripes off the tire so it is completely scuffed in. Then I make up my own little track in that lot and pick up the speed just a little and hit both sides of the tires. I do that for about a half hour and then stop and let the tires cool a bit then do it again. Then after doing that at least a couple days in a row the tires will be good to go into a full lean (once warmed up) and should have better traction. This is JMO and the way I like to do things.

to second @riding4run, you can never practice enough throttle control, counter steering, looking thru corners and such. On a well behaved bike which the FZ07 isn't in the FI department, you don't need to use the clutch so much when doing rings-around-parking-islands, but clutch control is a vital skill so in some ways the crappy FI is a useful training aid. ;-)

I set up a figure-eight and practice powering out of lean, strong braking, tip-in and throttle application, body positioning etc. Keep it pretty tight to get the most out of the exercise. no more than 3 parking space widths and better if you keep it to 2. Office parks are often deserted on the weekends.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived