The MT-07 Forum

Lost a Cylinder?

mwelacha

Hey All,
I have the Akrapovic exhaust and DNA air filter and I installed the PCV on my bike. It seemed to run okay, but I didn't have the exact setup from the maps Dynojet has, so I bought the Autotune as well. After installing the Autotune, I had 1-2 rides where everything was good and I was accepting trims to adjust fueling (Autotune is like tuning without the Dyno. You just "accept trims" based on your last ride over and over again until the computer doesn't need you to change anymore). By the third ride, the bike started missing, so I accepted ANOTHER trim and things got worse. I did the same again, and again things got worse. It had almost no power and would barely move, really. At stop signs I could smell unburnt gas. I switched the map back from the trims I had accepted back to the base map and still, the bike was only firing on one cylinder. I was advised by someone on here to remove the Autotune and go back to the stock o2 sensor, which I did, and the bike ran great again for a month or so. Then the other day, I started having problems again where the bike would occasionally drop a cylinder. I started uploading different maps and every time, the bike would run okay for like 15 minutes and then drop a cylinder, so I'd pull over and change the map, etc. over and over. Well, I finally figured out that if I just kept the throttle at one position once I got to whatever gear I was in, the bike would run okay. I was a ways from home so I just needed to get like 50 more miles but I pulled over to get something to drink and when I went outside, the bike was only firing on one cylinder at all times no matter what I did. So I pulled over and had it towed to my house. Thinking it was spark plugs, I changed them today and even though the ones that I pulled out looked okay, I replaced them since I had everything torn apart. I checked that all the wiring for the PCV was secure, made sure to correctly install the plugs, and when I started the bike again I was only firing on one cylinder again. It SEEMS like I'm only firing on one cylinder but I guess I don't know that for sure. It only sounds like one is firing and when it was more intermittent, it sounded different when it lost power so I assume that I am only firing on one cylinder. Any help at all that you can offer would me SO MUCH appreciated! Thank you

• Premium Member

Pull the PCV and see if the problem goes away...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Wow! Sorry about your luck. All I would know to do is check my connections at the spark plugs and see if a male and female are not connected. Sounds like a pug (lol, I hate pugs!) a plug may not be firing but I think it's more likely something to do with the map since everything started after map changes. Other than that, I would take it to someone that is knowledgeable in the field. Good luck, I hope you find the problem soon!

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

As I mentioned in your other thread… remove the PCV entirely, bring the bike back to stock, and go from there. The issue could be simple, but it also can be complicated. Sometimes is takes a lot of diagnosis to figure things out and maybe you don't have the skills to figure it out (no offense).

If you really think the engine is only running on one cylinder, then pull the coil/connector on that cylinder and see if the bikes runs the same… if the does, then that cylinder is not firing and if it doesn't then that cylinder is.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I tried pretty much every map available from Dynojet for the FZ and I input all zeros in the fuel table to essentially negate the Power Controller with no luck. I finally decided to take the Power Controller off the bike and WHAM! Everything is good again. I have had such a problem with this thing. At first I thought it was bogging down because I didn't have the DNA airbox like the Dynojet map is tuned for, so I bought the Autotune to correct any mapping issues and then it got REALLY bad. But after taking the Autotune and wideband o2 off, it was pretty okay for like a month until last week it went downhill really fast. Like I said, everything is good again without the PCV on it, but Dynojet isn't being very helpful about an equipment return at this point.

Guest Ralph

One question when it was fitted did you have the accelerator pump option active?
if you did that could be your problem.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Ralph his issue was it would only run on one cylinder even at idle even after changing plugs. So it wasn't getting spark or fuel as it should have from the pcv. And accel pump when used properly does help sudden acceleration situations.

One of the problems of these add-on fueling devices is that they are sorta competing with what the ecu wants to do. That it sorta ran OK if you held the throttle constant hints at an issue with the long term fuel trim (LTFT) getting confused by what was happening downstream of the ecu.

The right way to do this is to get your ecu remapped. Sell all that other stuff on fleebay so yer never tempted again.

How do I get the ECU remapped, what does it cost, etc.? Do I take the bike to a Dyno? I've already dumped half the value of the bike into add ons and hopefully I can get some of the money back somehow via ebay or whatever. Dynojet is now communicating with me again and I might possibly get brand new units from them in return for my faulty one.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

sell your powercommander V and auto tune for at least 400 bucks on ebay I sold my PCV for $200 in under 24 hours. Still have my autotune but will place it for sale if you dont want to try to use it. I only paid 330 for the PCV so i wasn't too upset. Then contact Nels at @2wheeldynoworks His flash is $319. I put my ECU in the mail on monday and had it back friday. In is reflash he will smooth out the timing curves, adjust fuel tables, remove or reduce fuel cut for engine braking, bump idle up a bit, reduce fan on setpoints, ect. He also offers free upgrades for life. So if you ever change your exhaust or air filter or whatever he can fix up your flash for free.

My bike runs smoother and is just as powerful as it was with my PCV tune. He was also able to tune out a lot of the decel popping that i had.

Take it to the dealer throw some money at them come back the next day and ride problems free.

Archived