The MT-07 Forum

Plasti dip Color Change

red93093

• Premium Member

Nice way to change things up and man did you ever!

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

@magsz18 I like the look of doing the tail pieces too. Looks good!

@rmdet I went with the grey, going for a stealth fighter look. I really like the way it turned out.

• Like 1

@recurveshooter Its a rubber coating that comes in an spray can. Easy to put on and if you change your mind it peels right off. Only downside is I've heard is if you spill gas on it it turns to a mess.

• Premium Member

The camo green is really grayish looking with a dull green undertone... Gray or black were the other colors I was strongly considering. I will likely do it again later this summer to try the another color on for size. (If I could find the FZ09 orange, I would definitely try that!)

@recurveshooter - Plasti dip is a peel-able paint (like a spray on rubberized paint). Check out DipYourCar vidoes on youtube or their website. I hadn't heard of it until last year, and it seemed too cool to not try it. You can get it in rattle cans (spray paint) or gallons to use a sprayer for more professional looking results and custom color options. The selling point to me is there is no prep/no damage to the original paint. Spray it on, and when you want to remove it or change it, just peel it off.

The camo green is really grayish looking with a dull green undertone... Gray or black were the other colors I was strongly considering. I will likely do it again later this summer to try the another color on for size. (If I could find the FZ09 orange, I would definitely try that!) 
@recurveshooter - Plasti dip is a peel-able paint (like a spray on rubberized paint). Check out DipYourCar vidoes on youtube or their website. I hadn't heard of it until last year, and it seemed too cool to not try it. You can get it in rattle cans (spray paint) or gallons to use a sprayer for more professional looking results and custom color options. The selling point to me is there is no prep/no damage to the original paint. Spray it on, and when you want to remove it or change it, just peel it off.
I had a 2012 MazdaSpeed 3 that had black plastidip on the wheels for over TWO years without any issues.  It faded but it actually held up and the only time i had a single issue was when my stupid ass hit a curb parallel parking...woops. :P

A few tips for application:

1.  Prep your surface well.  Make sure there are no finger prints, hair or other crap on your intended surface.

2.  Lay down ONE misted base coat.

3.  After that first misted base coat, start a much heavier coating process.  If you lay down too many misted base coats you will end up with a pebbled surface.

4.  Make sure you coat the SIDES of the project so that the plastic wraps around and creates a "seal".  If you dont coat the sides/edges of the piece you are coating, the plasti dip can get "caught" on things and can get peeled off.

5.  Make sure you fully coat the FRONT and BACK of the screw holes otherwise the screw threads can get caught on the dip and can pull it up when you're attempting to reattach your plastics.  A good, solid coat front and back will root the plasti dip down and prevent peeling.  Also, insert your screw fully THEN find the hole, trying to screw the screw INTO the actual hole can cause the screw threads to grab the plastidip.

Other than that, its easy, fun and cheap, especially on a bike with so many detachable panels.  I think i coated my entire bike for 40 bucks and its been on there since i believe February.
  • Like 1

I had a 2012 MazdaSpeed 3 that had black plastidip on the wheels for over TWO years without any issues.  It faded but it actually held up and the only time i had a single issue was when my stupid ass hit a curb parallel parking...woops. :P 
A few tips for application:

1.  Prep your surface well.  Make sure there are no finger prints, hair or other crap on your intended surface.

2.  Lay down ONE misted base coat.

3.  After that first misted base coat, start a much heavier coating process.  If you lay down too many misted base coats you will end up with a pebbled surface.

4.  Make sure you coat the SIDES of the project so that the plastic wraps around and creates a "seal".  If you dont coat the sides/edges of the piece you are coating, the plasti dip can get "caught" on things and can get peeled off.

5.  Make sure you fully coat the FRONT and BACK of the screw holes otherwise the screw threads can get caught on the dip and can pull it up when you're attempting to reattach your plastics.  A good, solid coat front and back will root the plasti dip down and prevent peeling.  Also, insert your screw fully THEN find the hole, trying to screw the screw INTO the actual hole can cause the screw threads to grab the plastidip.

Other than that, its easy, fun and cheap, especially on a bike with so many detachable panels.  I think i coated my entire bike for 40 bucks and its been on there since i believe February.
How many cans (and what size cans) did it take to coat your front and rear plastics?  How many layers did you apply?

I used five cans BUT i had to re-do one panel.

I also used a black base coat and then a clear "metalizer".

So in total, if you just want to do a solid color, two cans should be fine to coat the entire set of plastics.

I did five coats with the first one being a misted covering. The other four coats were laid on pretty thick.

• 4 years later...

Let's see if this thread can be revived.  Has anyone plasti-dipped their wheels?  I'm considering it