The MT-07 Forum

Tucking on a Naked Bike

Tyler Jane

• Premium Member

I have found that as you get comfortable at higher speed you don't need to tuck as much I'm riding 80+ on a regular basis. I do have a genX tall screen (not sure it does much) but I found as I ride more I get accustom to it.

Its not dumb to tuck, comes with the territory of owing a bike with no protection.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Aesthetically, it might look a little odd because it's not a true sport bike, but if it helps, it helps. I did it on the way in to work this morning. 75mph in the carpool lane? Yes, please.

I do the same thing even though I only have a small cowl right now. Sitting upright only catches more wind like a sail so if it helps you or makes you feel safer it probably is safer. Don't worry about how you look, really!

[attachment id=609" thumbnail="1][attachment id=610" thumbnail="1][attachment id=611" thumbnail="1][attachment id=612" thumbnail="1]

I especially tuck at high speeds when an 18 wheeler is coming toward me and I hope you do, too!

Beemer

I have aftermarket bars and well, tucking makes a big difference. On lower bars, it's easier and more comfortable to tuck, plus you get better mileage from the reduced drag. But on stock bars, I just felt moronic. I do it any time I hit a highway. May not be completely protected from the wind (I don't have a windshield nor do I want one) but you'll be more aerodynamic.
^ This 
- Paulie
+1.  These guys beat me to it.  All three of us have the same bar/rear-set setup now.  So, keep that in mind.  With our setup, I'd say getting in a tuck feels perfectly natural.  Before, with the stock bars, the bars just felt too high.   
See if you think this looks silly.  It's Paulie in a tuck (or as much of a tuck I could scavenge up from his photos) on the track.  Other than where you can see his ugly mug, I don't think it looks silly at all on a naked bike.  ;)

P.S. Good form, Paulie!  Get your head up more and get your eyes around the corner though! :P

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

I just took off my puig screen and put on the mra double bubble and there is a noticeable difference. Looks better too. So that's always an option :) But as for the mirrors, aim one for upright riding and one for tucked riding, it's all the rage these days ;) Also, to heck with what other people think. Enjoy your ride!

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

I just took off my puig screen and put on the mra double bubble and there is a noticeable difference. Looks better too.
I was really considering pulling the trigger on the double bubble. I don't suppose you have a pic or two? My main concern is whether or not I can use my RAM phone mount with that windscreen installed. I can't tell from the marketing pictures.

• Premium Member

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

I snapped a few.
Thank you!  
Or I should say, curse you for convincing me to spend another $100.

Yes you look silly and yes I do iit all the time. 100mph sitting straight up is not fun.

I test drove a Triumph Sprint. 2001 with 16k miles. Had amazing wind protection and aggressive sport bike ergonomics. I was sweating bullets on this thing. Nice bike but not very responsive and all that wind protection had me sweating. Made me appreciate the FZ07 so much more.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
Where are the full frontal shots? 

• Premium Member
Here ya go

One that's dark below and mostly clear up top like mine:
link

I'm thinking I will try and slip my go pro mounting arm right under the gap in the front/middle over the headlight.

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

I installed the Puig sport screen on my FZ-09. I had the taller touring model but sent it back because it just looked stupid on my bike and didn't block enough wind to justify having a stupid looking bike, lol.

Took the kids for a ride one by one yesterday (they have their own good gear) and took the last one to get candy at the store. When we walked out I discovered that a box of hot tamales, a bag of twizzlers and a bag of M&M's fit perfectly in that little space behind the windscreen.

I installed the Puig sport screen on my FZ-09. I had the taller touring model but sent it back because it just looked stupid on my bike and didn't block enough wind to justify having a stupid looking bike, lol.  
Took the kids for a ride one by one yesterday (they have their own good gear) and took the last one to get candy at the store. When we walked out I discovered that a box of hot tamales, a bag of twizzlers and a bag of M&M's fit perfectly in that little space behind the windscreen.

And also a small bag from any fast food joint. Possibly the best feature of this windscreen!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

I often cruise with my left elbow hunched over on the top tank plastic during long freeway trips.

If any of you actually throw your legs up on passenger pegs, im gonna go ahead and make the statement that yes.....you do look awkward and people should be looking at your funny.

Around town I'm upright, but for longer stints on the highway I absolutely switch from upright to tuck and back every couple minutes just to not get too fatigued. I also don't care what I look like to anyone while I'm doing it. Though I'm in agreement regarding the mirror placement, always have to sit up to check them periodically. Thinking about trying bar end mirrors, anyone with them notice if the angle works out better?

When I'm on the highway or the PCH it definitely cuts down on the wind if I lower my torso, drop the elbows and bring the elbows closer to the tank.  When it's windy, it just feels more stable.  People tuck on cafe racers all the time - with lower bars. If you're comfortable doing it I'm sure it looks cool.  

When tucking at speed, try putting your feet on the passenger pegs
I used to do that riding from Texas to Ohio and Indiana on my old XZ550RJ. Mine came with a quarter fairing and I would put all the soft things like shirts on the top inside of my tank bag and rest my chest on it while putting my feet on the rear pegs. I was pretty flattened out, very comfortable and what a difference it made in gas mileage and going around semi's with their huge wind blast. I would trade my FZ for that bike.  
Tid bit about it from Wiki:

The Yamaha Vision was originally conceived in the late 1970's when motorcycling was at its peak, and spent three years in development, being overseen by a small group of designers and enthusiasts rather than "committee think". Several high profile external design houses contributed to the design of the XZ550 including GK Design Associates for design, and reputedly Cosworth for the engine and Porsche for the final drive. The initial models were designed to be a performance bike and GK's goal was "to make it into the most advanced super sport bike in terms of both styling and riding performance" To many enthusiasts, the XZ550 succeeded on both fronts, its comfort on long rides and veritable torque-monster engine matched by its distinctive deep V-Twin exhaust beat and endurance race performance. But '82 sales were poor and it was not until the bike was re-invented as a sport-touring bike in 1983 that sales picked up, although not enough to see the bike surviving. The bike was considered "the closest bike to a B.M.W. ever to come out of Japan" at the time, in reference to its touring credentials and reliability on long-distance runs, generally considered "the most European motorcycle from Japan in recent memory." 

Beemer

I often cruise with my left elbow hunched over on the top tank plastic during long freeway trips.  

If any of you actually throw your legs up on passenger pegs, im gonna go ahead and make the statement that yes.....you do look awkward and people should be looking at your funny.
I agree that if making a short trip it's not necessary to do that. When I go out for just an 1 1/2 hour ride my back & butt get to aching and I don't hesitate to stand up on the pegs to stretch out but that's not done in town, just on back roads at low speeds. If on the highway though, it's pretty hard to stand up at 70+ mph. so if you have a 'need' to stretch out and putting your feet on the rear pegs helps then why not? Looks odd to people that don't have a clue about biking and you're back and butt certainly don't give a squirt about what they think so I'll always side with my body parts and take the assumed giggles I never hear. Sticks and stones.

Beemer

Sometimes momentarily I'll scoot back and tuck at lower speeds just to relieve the pressure from the seat. I often tuck on the highway too-helps with the wind. I never feel silly. After all, I'm on a motorcycle and that's just cool!

Where are the full frontal shots?
This is a naked bike ... no full frontal nude shots per forum rules.

Beemer

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Glad someone got the joke. But seriously, why no pics of the windshield from the front?

Archived