The MT-07 Forum

Tucking on a Naked Bike

Tyler Jane

So I've started riding more often on the freeways, and in the area I live it can get pretty windy in the evening. Riding west around sunset means I'm going to get hit with some massive wind blasts as the cold air moves in off the pacific. It isn't really a huge problem for the short distances I ride; it's actually kind of exhilarating.

But if I'm moving along pretty quick, I find I feel a bit more stable if I kind of tuck down and plant my head a little lower. I scoot my butt back towards the rear of the seat, and lower my chest so it's a bit more horizontal, and squeeze my knees against the tank. But it feels SO awkward, like I'm worried I look like a complete idiot, especially because I don't actually have a windshield or anything else that I'm tucking behind. I'm just kind of tucking to have a smaller profile.  And this seems to make me feel a bit more stable against the wind.

I guess I don't know how to phrase my question other than, Do I look silly doing this on a naked bike? I'm worried people are next to me on the freeway thinking "what the hell is she doing..."

yamobethere

Funny, I was just experimenting with this on my commute to work this morning, it definitely helps to tuck! That said, you might look silly, but anybody who's not on a bike has no right to judge

• Premium Member

We all have our own riding styles...I myself slid back in the seat when I'm on the freeways and when I'm not on the freeway I ride as far forward as I can get...and yes if I was to do a lot of freeway riding I would use a handle bar that Sat lower and a tad more forward for comfort...I'm even known to throw a leg out like a dirt biker railing a rut outta habit instead of putting my knee out  when I take a sharp corner...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

My only problem with tucking on the freeway is that it makes the mirrors useless. As opposed to nearly useless in the stock configuration. Tucking does help reduce the wind blast. I move in and out of a more tucked position when freeway riding, as campared to riding the streets or canyons.

My only problem with tucking on the freeway is that it makes the mirrors useless. As opposed to nearly useless in the stock configuration. Tucking does help reduce the wind blast. I move in and out of a more tucked position when freeway riding, as campared to riding the streets or canyons.
Definitely true, I've noticed that. If you leave your head planted in a tuck, the mirrors provide pretty much no information. Have to move your whole head pretty far to see anything...

This is timely. I was tucking this morning. Sometimes a head wind will make my jacket flap like a kite at the shoulders to the point where it's distracting and annoying. I think it's when I'm riding into a headwind. The tuck does help and I wonder how funny I looked too. Other times the wind does not affect the ride. I have the ermax sport shield and that deflects the wind a bit but does not eliminate it.

I have the Givi windscreen. Upright, the windblast hits me right across the top of the chest. Tucked, the windscreen really helps. I find tucking becomes much more important at higher speeds, say 70mph and above.

• Premium Member
I have the Givi windscreen. Upright, the windblast hits me right across the top of the chest. Tucked, the windscreen really helps. I find tucking becomes much more important at higher speeds, say 70mph and above.
this ^

• Premium Member
So I've started riding more often on the freeways, and in the area I live it can get pretty windy in the evening. Riding west around sunset means I'm going to get hit with some massive wind blasts as the cold air moves in off the pacific. It isn't really a huge problem for the short distances I ride; it's actually kind of exhilarating.

Yeah -- totally jealous about that BTW. I'm in the desert with blasts of superheated air. However, the company I work for is HQed up in Walnut Creek, so perhaps I can finagle a way to take my bike up there sometime. I would love to ride that area...

...But if I'm moving along pretty quick, I find I feel a bit more stable if I kind of tuck down and plant my head a little lower. ...
But it feels SO awkward, like I'm worried I look like a complete idiot, especially because I don't actually have a windshield or anything else that I'm tucking behind.

It would definitely help to have a windshield of some sort (I have and can recommend the Givi), but hey -- if it makes you comfortable then do it, and who gives a crap what others may think!

this ^
Yep, same here 'cept with the Puig screen.  

suspiciouspackage

I have aftermarket bars and well, tucking makes a big difference. On lower bars, it's easier and more comfortable to tuck, plus you get better mileage from the reduced drag. But on stock bars, I just felt moronic. I do it any time I hit a highway. May not be completely protected from the wind (I don't have a windshield nor do I want one) but you'll be more aerodynamic.

Why do you care what you look like?

That's ridiculous.

You answered your own question with your own words...

I guess I don't know how to phrase my question other than, Do I look silly doing this on a naked bike? I'm worried people are next to me on the freeway thinking "what the hell is she doing..."
They say that you look like all the dualsport riders who took the freeway. ;) 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I've been known to tuck for a little while on a freeway run. It does take some air pressure off and I don't care what I look like. Hey, maybe people notice us more "what the hell is she doing..." and won't hit us. I really don't think it looks stupid at all, most cagers wouldn't know a cruiser from a sport bike from a touring bike, so they don't know what position we are supposed to be in. Just the fact that we are on a bike makes us way cooler than any cager.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I find with a Givi windscreen, I really only feel the need to tuck when I'm going faster than I really should be. But my advice, if you feel better tucking in, it doesn't matter how it looks.

• Premium Member

So I have the Givi screen too (seems to be the popular choice), but I really don't tuck at speed (unless I'm going over 90, or trying to hit max).
The nice thing about the Givi (and probably the Puig too) is that it cleans up the front end of the bike, both cosmetically, and aerodynamically.
I don't feel like I need to tuck because the wind that is hitting me is a little higher and a little smoother than with no screen at all.
Some of it is just adapting to what you have (which is exactly what you are doing). I see the Harley guys with Nazi helmets and ape hangers cruisin' down the freeway at 85. Doesn't seem to bother them.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

We rode our bikes to a lake to go swimming. I put my inflatable dinosaur around my waist and got in the bike.

Sorry I don't think tucking looks silly, relatively speaking.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

I tuck sometimes. nothing wrong with it IMO. I ride with a lot of bigger bikes and keeping pace on an open road leads me to needing to tuck up. Honestly, if it helps, do it.

If it makes you feel better, even super sport bike riders tuck. It's just part of the game.

The Fabbri Gen-X Sport Screen is pretty great. It's what I use and helps a bunch.

This exact thing happened to me the other day, and I was wondering the same. Thanks for posting about it, all the tips given help

• Premium Member
I have aftermarket bars and well, tucking makes a big difference. On lower bars, it's easier and more comfortable to tuck, plus you get better mileage from the reduced drag. But on stock bars, I just felt moronic. I do it any time I hit a highway. May not be completely protected from the wind (I don't have a windshield nor do I want one) but you'll be more aerodynamic.
^ This 
- Paulie

• Premium Member
But if I'm moving along pretty quick, I find I feel a bit more stable if I kind of tuck down and plant my head a little lower. I scoot my butt back towards the rear of the seat, and lower my chest so it's a bit more horizontal, and squeeze my knees against the tank. But it feels SO awkward, like I'm worried I look like a complete idiot, especially because I don't actually have a windshield or anything else that I'm tucking behind. I'm just kind of tucking to have a smaller profile.  And this seems to make me feel a bit more stable against the wind.

I do the same thing for the same reasons, and I'm having so much fun I don't give a damn what anybody thinks. But I'm pretty sure anyone paying attention would GET that you were lowering wind resistance. 
I for one am THRILLED that the FZ-07 is so versatile that you CAN adopt a crotch rocket posture if you want to, or sit upright. It's the best of both worlds. And for me, when I am going 65+ it is way more comfortable, and kind of exhilerating to plant my belly on the tank and squeeze my legs up tight. I feel like I am riding a TRON bike.

Don't worry if you fit normal trends. Be a trend setter.

Databyter

Archived