The MT-07 Forum

** NEWS** New Version of the FZ-07/MT-07 coming! FJ-07??

Cruizin

kakusaizou

I'm looking forward to it, I think the FZ-07 has potential as a sports touring bike. I took mine out to Colorado, my only upsets were the piss poor suspension and small fuel tank.

On the suspension, I had to wing it and get soft bags because my GIVI V35 cases didn't arrive in time. Because of the way the back end is canted, the bags partially set above the rear tire. Half way through the trip I noticed streak marks on the rear tire. I look up and see that the bags have been scorched by the tire because there was so much travel on the rear suspension. I cranked up the stiffness to max and it didn't do diddly squat. Problem might have been avoided had I gotten the hard cases that set on the side. As soon we got to the mountain twisty, everyone took off. I didn't push it, bike felt a little unstable in the corners.

Fuel tank, I was the weak link in the group. I was always the first one to get the gas warning light and even one time was pushing it close to drying out the tank when we were stuck in a 50 mile one-way-out-road-out-of-nowhereland. I believe I was sitting at 45 miles after the reserve trip meter popped up. Not a really big deal if you plan your routes ahead and gas up but those unexpected routes can scare you a bit.

On the brighter side, my favorite thing about the bike? It is super light. Two guys on our trip tipped their heavy bikes at low speeds and trying to park.

I certainly hope the presumed FJ-07 improves on 2 things I just mentioned.

2bKrDsp.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I was thinking Ralph. BUT the Versys actually has a completely different frame to put the tank on. If Yammy does the same with the MT we will still be stuffed possibly.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

bmwpowere36m3
If they make a longer range tank that fits on the chassis and uses the same tank panel for the EFI pump, I will get one and put it on this bike ...somehow. I don't care what it looks like . In this country ( Aus) getting to the next major town on a tank is not possible ( OK some just if you ride VERY sensibly and don't have panniers). At least 400km range needed unless you live in coastal NSW, Victoria ( even then can be iffy if going to the west) or Tasmania)

400km... damn my E320 wagon only gets about 320-340 hwy miles under the best circumstances.

I don't think the FZ-07 was marketed or designed to be a long distance cruiser. If you know you'll be traveling that far than you need to carry extra fuel, like a rotopax or look for another bike. In the US, for the most part, it's a non-issue; other than maybe the inconvenience of stopping more often for fuel.

On my last tank, 1 fuel bar, not reserve, I had 150 or so miles. 40% spirited driving and the rest was pretty subdued at 50 or less MPH.

Beats my other bike with a comparable tank, 3-ish gal... It would hit reserve 90-100 miles always.

• Premium Member
I'm looking forward to it, I think the FZ-07 has potential as a sports touring bike. I took mine out to Colorado, my only upsets were the piss poor suspension and small fuel tank. 
On the suspension, I had to wing it and get soft bags because my GIVI V35 cases didn't arrive in time. Because of the way the back end is canted, the bags partially set above the rear tire. Half way through the trip I noticed streak marks on the rear tire. I look up and see that the bags have been scorched by the tire because there was so much travel on the rear suspension. I cranked up the stiffness to max and it didn't do diddly squat. Problem might have been avoided had I gotten the hard cases that set on the side. As soon we got to the mountain twisty, everyone took off. I didn't push it, bike felt a little unstable in the corners.

Fuel tank, I was the weak link in the group. I was always the first one to get the gas warning light and even one time was pushing it close to drying out the tank when we were stuck in a 50 mile one-way-out-road-out-of-nowhereland. I believe I was sitting at 45 miles after the reserve trip meter popped up. Not a really big deal if you plan your routes ahead and gas up but those unexpected routes can scare you a bit.

On the brighter side, my favorite thing about the bike? It is super light. Two guys on our trip tipped their heavy bikes at low speeds and trying to park.

I certainly hope the presumed FJ-07 improves on 2 things I just mentioned.

2bKrDsp.jpg

I got the soft Yamaha bags you can see on their website. I actually wanted the bigger ones that were brand named (forget what) but the dealer didn't get my drift and ordered the smaller ones, which I later found out were slightly expandable so maybe they will work, although they look sort of akward and have egg shaped lines on an angular bike. 
At any rate I only mention it because I received the bags (or the dealer did) a moon ago, but the mounting kit has not arrived yet. Apparently it is being trekked over the himalayas on the backs of llamas and they are snowed in. The mounting kits I have seen for the FZ-07 all have a sort of aluminum rod that goes along the inside of the bag to keep them a bit square to the bike so they don't sag in with weight or G forces. This seemingly is to avoid the very problem you had. I wonder if you could rig something like that up, or even use the Yamaha kit and customize it to your bike.

It all may be academic as you mentioned you had ordered some hard bags and will probably just go that way. Please post pics and a review of those as I might not be happy with the ones I got either. 

I agree it's a great potential tourer, but ideally you should have bags and shields that you can snap off at a moments notice and go have fun running fairly light and clean. I commute so I probably will have my small soft bags and shield on most of the time, so maybe it's a good thing I accidently got the smaller bags. I'm hoping they look better than they do in the pic. The bigger bags had much better lines and looked great.

Longwindedness is complete, peace out.  :)  Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member

If they give the fj a bigger fuel tank that fits under the existing fz body work...I'm gonna order a fj fuel tank and put that sucka on...no more puny 3.5 gal tank...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Pattonme " Plus in most civilized countries there's a decent sized town every 10 miles and definitely within 30. There must be some good reason you want to live in that part of Australia." I now do live in the Civilized part of Queensland. The service stations have been disappearing at an alarming rate. All the small towns that had stations now don't . Even in this medium(ish) sized town I can't get fuel on the way OUT of town to my house (16km), 2 on the way in though, but it's a divided road so you can't just go accross. Only been here 2 years and 2 stations have closed and this is a town with basically no public transport. When we rode to Phillip Island to the MotoGP we actually had to plan where we could get fuel going down the near inland route, because Sally's KTM only gets 240-260 km to the tank ( I was on the Husky with 32litres so wasn't so much a problem for me.
BMW (etc etc),
320MILES is 480 KM. Even my rodeo gets 600+km out of a tank and it is relatively a gas guzzler.

bmwpowere36m3

'95 E320 wagon, 3.2L, the best I've gotten was 24-25 MPG.... Usually 22 MPG averaging 65-70 MPH, and 16-18 in town.

It is what it is... car was $700, 260k miles, with no reverse gear (easy fix for mechanic/myself), otherwise in great shape and runs very well. I don't put on a lot of miles per year... so the "crappy" gas mileage + fuel ~$3/gal I don't sweat it. My '98 M3 gets better mileage if I don't drive it like I stole it ;)

Repeated LOL genuine LOL.... Sounds like a Beverly Hillbillies truck. The Rodeo ( they were always called Colorado in the US) has a turbo 3litre 4cyl diesel and still only gets 28mpg and is getting worse.
$3 a gallong.....( massive sobbing ). Our diesel costs $1.64 a litre or roughly $7.80 a gallon. Petrol is about the same.

They are afraid to make trucks that get good gas mileage because they would lose money in the USA. So many drive trucks here and most take performance steps to ensure that their trucks get even worse MPG than stock.

And yeah, we complain about $3 per gallon of gas.

I would kill for a small ~3L diesel in a pick'em-up truck. But the EPA is hell bent on making that as difficult as possible and it would never sell. 'Muricans would return it to the dealer since the engine was surely defective, making "all that noise". I weep for the common American. Then I get over it and think, if only there was some way to harness the unlimited supply of American stupidity as an energy source...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
I would kill for a small ~3L diesel in a pick'em-up truck. But the EPA is hell bent on making that as difficult as possible and it would never sell. 'Muricans would return it to the dealer since the engine was surely defective, making "all that noise". I weep for the common American. Then I get over it and think, if only there was some way to harness the unlimited supply of American stupidity as an energy source...

This exact thought came to my mind. A small diesel pickup could not be better.

Everything went braap.

bmwpowere36m3

Even with more efficient diesels, the ROI is very long (in the USA). It just doesn't make sense... unless your a heavy, heavy commuter and plan to keep the car for a while OR need the power/torque/durability in heavy duty usage like trucking, power equipment, earth moving machines, etc... They more expensive to purchase, fuel is more expensive and maintenance can be as well (again speaking for those in the US).

For most of the world, small turbo-diesels rule... except Brazil, E85 is dirt cheap there and maybe the middle-east with gasoline.

bmwpowere36m3
Even with more efficient diesels, the ROI is very long (in the USA). It just doesn't make sense... unless your a heavy, heavy commuter and plan to keep the car for a while OR need the power/torque/durability in heavy duty usage like trucking, power equipment, earth moving machines, etc... They more expensive to purchase, fuel is more expensive and maintenance can be as well (again speaking for those in the US). 
For most of the world, small turbo-diesels rule... except Brazil, E85 is dirt cheap there and maybe the middle-east with gasoline.

My folks just went thru this when looking at a new RV.... The diesel pushers are awesome, but they'd likely never see the ROI. They settled for a RV with a Ford V-10. I think it's 6.8L and gets about 8-12MPG depending on average speed and whether we haul our trailer behind. Last RV had a 7.2L V-8 454 carburated... sounded awesome and got about the same mileage, maybe slightly less (it was also a lot smaller).

Guest Ralph

Lot's of small Diesels in the UK only way a lot of us can afford to run a car as fuel well
the tax on it is extortionate, mine a Renault Clio 1.5 lt 84 bhp does 70 mpg UK about 58 US
mpg and will top out at 110 mph but not at the same time though an a recent trip it did
about 75 UK /62 US mpg over 600 miles mostly around 70 mph.

paulibiker

Your wish will come true......the Chevy Colorado will have a diesel option for 2016.

You can thank Fiat for putting a 3.0L diesel V6 in the Ram 1500 as of 2 years ago.

• Premium Member

Your wish will come true......the Chevy Colorado will have a diesel option for 2016.

A hilux would be sweet, but this is a good start.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Rename thread :)

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I had to scroll up to see what the thread was all about. I own a Hilux btw, gas though. Best truck ever.

The newer common rail turbo diesels don't clatter. You think you are driving a petrol motor except the rev range is smaller. The torque and acc is huge. You won't miss your V8 unless you are drag racing. Towed a ton of gear on a tandem axle trailer 1000km to here when we moved and got almost the same fuel economy as unloaded and kept forgetting there was a trailer excepting when braking....
Promise my last post off topic.

Looks like the Aussie Yamaha is releasing the proper MT07 instead of the crap LAMS one so I am selling my neutered one and getting the "HO" version. If the touring version was out I would prob get that instead.

• Premium Member

Wouldn't it be cheaper to install a US ECU instead of getting a new fz-07 @ gregjet???

Looks like the Aussie Yamaha is releasing the proper MT07 instead of the crap LAMS one so I am selling my neutered one and getting the "HO" version. 
Not following you. Linky?
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived