The MT-07 Forum

** NEWS** New Version of the FZ-07/MT-07 coming! FJ-07??

Cruizin

I just got a call from someone who is totally "in the know" of all things Yamaha. No, I cannot tell you who he is.

Next month, Yamaha is going to announce a new version of the FZ-07 platform. Nobody is sure what it is yet, but it is going to be based on the FZ-07.

And then there are these pics of a bike that was spotted recently running around Italy.

yamaha-nuova-mt-07-2016-3.jpg

yamaha-nuova-mt-07-2016-2.jpg

And then there is this article from Visor Down http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/custom-style-yamaha-mt-07-to-be-launched-next-month/27830.html

Thoughts?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch

Kimura's Faster Son custom is interesting in that its not the first custom fz07 yamaha commissioned. And, even more interesting, is each commissioned bike has been a minimalist customization: both are bolt-on customs. I expect Yamaha is fishing for interest in aftermarket makeovers. Wise move.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

It makes sense -- the strongest thing about this bike is the motor, so I can see them wanting to take further advantage as a platform

I can't see a manufacturer releasing a motorcycle without a legal taillight / plate assembly like we see in the second post.

Yamaha probably has 2 niche markets they could go for.. add substantial fairing to go after the sports-touring market. And, to take advantage of the nimble nature of the bike, go for the retro-look / Tenere look with some off-road capability... like this approach:

http://www.visordown.com/image.aspx?url=/uploads/images/Huge/79114.JPG&area=ARTICLES&category=Motorcycle+news%3a+New+bikes&title=Customised%20Yamaha%20MT-07%20at%20Wheels%20&%20Waves%202015&SiteChannelId=2

Yeah, the FJ-09 was out of my price range. I considered a 650 Vstrom. However, I am short at 5'7" so I would still have to see the height of this thing if it really comes out.
I really like my FZ, but I think I would rather have an FJ for long hauls and a project bike for short fun rides.
But I would be happy keeping the FZ. I just bought a tall Ermax screen for it and am looking at saddle bags. I don't know if I want to drop $800 on panniers as their weight will force me to swap out the suspension too.

• Premium Member

The MPG benefit of the twin over the 4 is a no brainer. This doesn't surprise me at all. Yamaha looks like its trying to dominate the market in all categories of bikes. Good for them they have an awesome platform to do so.

Umm yah the 2016 come out in aug they already revealed the two colors. That's the only change same price same specs but just two paint jobs

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
It makes sense -- the strongest thing about this bike is the motor, so I can see them wanting to take further advantage as a platform
zactly.

last weekend i was at a 50's-style drag race. i raced a lot of choppers/bobbers and a lot more bone-stock big-twins. the little twin dominated. it beat out the 103" customs. a lot of folks were very angry.  in the 1/8th mile i romped. even the supersports lost that fight. in the 1/4 the supersports get the advantage but theres plenty of other bikes to beat. i lost to an old kz1000... but only by inches. the pilot says "is that a liter?" i said "no. 700. twin" his mouth falls open and his eyes get big and he says "gawdanmit thats a beast of a twin!"

its light. its compact. it goes like stink. fuel delivery is nice. the motor is compact.  this bike will become the goto-platform for custom bike makers. and yamaha would be wise to drive that process.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Looking forward to the FJ-07. Hopefully it's a more ADV oriented than the FJ-09

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Yamaha WILL definitely release the FJ07 in mid-July, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

I read somewhere that Yamaha was going to used the CP3 & CP2 engines for different platforms, so it makes sense. Honestly, wish I had waited. Don't really care about the fairing but would like a longer range (assuming it will have a larger tank).

Of course if it's priced $2300 more (like the FZ/FJ09) I would have passed. We'll see..........

• Global Moderator

@admin, I would add another section for now. All the tech is the same (I presume) so the shared info is relevant for all.
When we have lots of FJ07 members, we can always decide on expanding by creating a new forum.

• Premium Member

I would add a new section since the platforms are gonna share the same tech and 99.9% of the parts...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

If they make a longer range tank that fits on the chassis and uses the same tank panel for the EFI pump, I will get one and put it on this bike ...somehow. I don't care what it looks like . In this country ( Aus) getting to the next major town on a tank is not possible ( OK some just if you ride VERY sensibly and don't have panniers). At least 400km range needed unless you live in coastal NSW, Victoria ( even then can be iffy if going to the west) or Tasmania)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

hate to break it to you @gregjet but your use case is so off in left field, nobody designs a street bike with it in mind.
You need an external fuel cell. or strategically placed 50 gallon drums by the side of the road.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Nobody designs bikes with tanks that hold enough tank to get to the next bike town?
Most bikes this size except the cruisers style bikes have 17l or more. Some even have 20. Er6n has 17litres. My f800R ( not the ST or S) has 18l. YZfR :17litres. CB600's:18litres. SV650: 17litres. That's mostly another gallon of fuel. Obviously not that left field. The Versys has 19litres.
The worst bit is that the "tank" appears to be useful big but is just a fake shell.
My BMW F800R was not a tourer ( note the R ) and I could go from Townsville to Cairns and back as far as Innisfail ( over 400k from a motorcycle that gets pretty much the same fuel economy as the MT) at road legal speeds.
This tank is too small even for a distance commuter.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

sorry @gregjet, I didn't realize the FZ07 was short a half gallon. Yeah, that blows. But look, Squirrel!! You can change your bodywork for cheap and easily. Plus in most civilized countries there's a decent sized town every 10 miles and definitely within 30. There must be some good reason you want to live in that part of Australia.   :D

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
Nobody designs bikes with tanks that hold enough tank to get to the next bike town? Most bikes this size except the cruisers style bikes have 17l or more. Some even have 20. Er6n has 17litres. My f800R ( not the ST or S) has 18l. YZfR :17litres. CB600's:18litres. SV650: 17litres. That's mostly another gallon of fuel. Obviously not that left field. The Versys has 19litres.
The worst bit is that the "tank" appears to be useful big but is just a fake shell.
My BMW F800R was not a tourer ( note the R ) and I could go from Townsville to Cairns and back as far as Innisfail ( over 400k from a motorcycle that gets pretty much the same fuel economy as the MT) at road legal speeds.
This tank is too small even for a distance commuter.
Since as you pointed out the "tank" is mostly a shell, maybe it would be an excellent aftermarket upgrade to provide a tank that uses that empty space with no major modifications. I am sitting at my computer and not looking at the bike, so I'm not sure how much of that empty space is below the maximum fill line, but I'd be another 3/4 gallon could be managed with ease. Another nice after market mod would be a luggage rack that replaces the passenger seat that is also a connected fuel cell. I've seen a terrific mod like that on a sport touring bike. I'd be interested in either or both, and I live in gas station land, but would like to travel and it would be nice to have another 50-100 miles. 
Yea, I know it is a "sport bike" but it is a versatile platform that can be many things, as the FJ-09 showed as well.

Databyter

Archived