The MT-07 Forum

Woodcraft Clip-On Risers

Allan

Here is another option for those who want clip-ons on their FZ-07. The suburban machinery ones seem to be the favorite on here, but there have never been any alternative that was well made. Here is an option from Woodcraft and it is a little more than the suburban machinery ones, but these offer "real" clip-ons. There are actual removable 12" bars for each handle bar and the system can be run in two ways, up, where the bars are slightly above the risers for street use, or down where you do a 15 min riser orientation change and the bars are below the risers for more of a track feel. I really like these and I also like how they are specifically for our bike. I wouldn't mind upgrading to these in the future. Tell me what you guys think!

eOntnmQl.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they look good, and I am interested in these.

I already have the Renthal Ultra Low bars installed, and I sometime feel they are a bit too wide (even though I already cut them down 12 millimeters on each side) and a touch tall (still).
The Renthals are better for me than the stock FZ-07 ape hangers, but I wonder if these would be even better, still.
Bar envy.

Last I talked to Woodcraft a couple of weeks back, I was told to ask again in two weeks.
Looks like I will call back to ask, again.

All I can say is that if somebody finds out how these work on the FZ-07, please let us know.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Does anyone have those bars on this forum? I can say I just bit the bullet and picked up the 1-inch version along with Driven rearsets. It'll be interesting to see how much this changes my posture; I am ready.

Does anyone have those bars on this forum? I can say I just bit the bullet and picked up the 1-inch version along with Driven rearsets. It'll be interesting to see how much this changes my posture; I am ready.
I have these Woodcraft clip ons on my 07, along with the Gilles Tooling rearsets. I love them, and the combo together really transforms the attitude of the bike. Expect to lean forward much more aggressively then the stock set up. I was surprised at how drastic the change was after installing them, when comparing to the product photos. You'll be much more on top of the front end, and turns will feel more responsive and natural - but not as relaxed. Awesome for attacking the curves in the canyons, worse for daily commuting on the grid.

You will lose that "supermoto" feel of the bike and it'll be more like an agile light-weight sports bike. Good or bad, depending on what you're looking for. I can post a few photos of my set up later.

FZ07 Mods: Akrapovic Ti - Shorai Lithium Battery - Pazzo Levers - OEM Flyscreen

Thanks!

Id love to see the photos. Any chance we can get a photo of you actually on the bike in your riding position?

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
I have these Woodcraft clip ons on my 07, along with the Gilles Tooling rearsets. I love them, and the combo together really transforms the attitude of the bike. Expect to lean forward much more aggressively then the stock set up. I was surprised at how drastic the change was after installing them, when comparing to the product photos. You'll be much more on top of the front end, and turns will feel more responsive and natural - but not as relaxed. Awesome for attacking the curves in the canyons, worse for daily commuting on the grid. 
You will lose that "supermoto" feel of the bike and it'll be more like an agile light-weight sports bike. Good or bad, depending on what you're looking for. I can post a few photos of my set up later.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear, did you get the 1-inch or 1.5? Yeah, you should definitely post some pictures :)

I think they look good, and I am interested in these. 
I already have the Renthal Ultra Low bars installed, and I sometime feel they are a bit too wide (even though I already cut them down 12 millimeters on each side) and a touch tall (still).
The Renthals are better for me than the stock FZ-07 ape hangers, but I wonder if these would be even better, still.
Bar envy.

Last I talked to Woodcraft a couple of weeks back, I was told to ask again in two weeks.
Looks like I will call back to ask, again.

All I can say is that if somebody finds out how these work on the FZ-07, please let us know.
Word on the street (at least the Aussie streets per our friend Alex ha) is that Revzilla should have the Woodcraft clip-ons in stock this July.  If you find them sooner, let us know.  I just put the Suburban Machinery bars on, but I'm a little curious to see how the Woodcrafts fit in terms of tank clearance.  I still feel a tad more upright than I prefer with the SM bars, however they do feel a ton better than stock with the new rearsets set all the way up and back.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Did you install them "up" or "down?" I'm curious about the tank clearance lock to lock with them installed as low as they will go.   
Ditto on the photos... They would be much appreciated! 

I installed them up. I too was worried about lock to lock clearance but there is plenty of room left and it doesn't even really come close to hitting the tank. Also the bars sit pretty much in line with the position of the dashboard module - maybe half inch lower? Really cleans up and lowers the controls of the front end, giving it that cafe/roadster profile.

When I get home tonight I'll take a photo in lock position as well. Here is the only photo I currently have on my phone:

FZ07.jpg

Nice, thanks!  

For comparison purposes, here's the Suburban Machinery vs the Woodcraft views from front.  Looks like the SM bars are a little lower than the Woodcrafts in the up position.    

iEZssqxl.jpgFZ07.jpg

P.S. I like that fly screen.  Is that the Yamaha one?  I want something like that in terms of style, but I want it to come up to the level of the gauge cluster.  I've yet found one I like enough to put on the bike.  

Yes, it's the Yamaha one. I just decided to give it some stripes to spruce it up a bit.

The clip-ons definitely aren't as low as the SM bars, but I feel low enough to get into "attack" position without having it feel back-breaking or feeling like I need to lay on the tank. I'd say its close to being on a Ninja 300, R3, or a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer. I bet if you flipped them down it would be comparable to the SM bars.

The Woodcraft adaptor plate and risers are really great quality and feel very solid. I have the 1" inch.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Yes, it's the Yamaha one. I just decided to give it some stripes to spruce it up a bit. 
The clip-ons definitely aren't as low as the SM bars, but I feel low enough to get into "attack" position without having it feel back-breaking or feeling like I need to lay on the tank. I'd say its close to being on a Ninja 300 or R3. I bet if you flipped them down it would be comparable to the SM bars.

The Woodcraft adaptor plate and risers are really great quality and feel very solid. I have the 1" inch.

Do you think you'll flip it around to give it an even lower stance or do you like where it's at now?

I'll likely keep it as is. I'm really comfortable with the current set up with rear-sets. Took a weekend trip up to the mountains last week and it was a lot of fun!

Took a few photos during lunch. I'll get to the on-bike photo later when I can get some help :)

Full Lock
FZ01.jpg

Gilles Tooling Sets
FZ03.jpg

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

What kinda bar ends do you have on there? I'm assuming the bars themselves are threaded? THANKS for the pictures. Nice bike, you should take that warning sticker off :P

• Premium Member

Hmmm, looks like another great option for us!

I posted this in another thread, but when I called Woodcraft a while back they told me the lowest you can go is with the 1.5 risers mounted in the down position. Looking at your photos of the 1 inch in the up position, I just don't see how the 1.5 in the down position won't interfere with anything at full lock.

Having said that, I think when they are readily available I'm gonna give it a go to see for myself.

I think the SB bars with the Gilles Tooling rearsets in the highest/furthest back position is a great do-it-all combo for street, canyon carving, track etc, but since I've become quite hooked on track days, I wouldn't mind going even lower with the bars if I can (but not at the expense of any interference).

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
Took a few photos during lunch. I'll get to the on-bike photo later when I can get some help :) 
Full Lock
FZ01.jpg

You sure that's full lock? I only ask because here's my Suburban Machinery bars at full lock and it looks significantly different:

xJpKFBoh.jpg

- Paulie

How many people on the forums bought these because I just looked at Revzilla and all of them are out of stock. Haha If that is a result of people seeing them here, Revzilla should give me some commission. Lol

What kinda bar ends do you have on there? I'm assuming the bars themselves are threaded? THANKS for the pictures. Nice bike, you should take that warning sticker off :P
They are generic 7/8 aluminum bar ends I found on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PU8XXVU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
The handle bars that come with the Woodcraft kit are not pre threaded. Just simple hollow tubes. I actually want to switch to a pair of heavier bars. Perhaps the Driven set.

pgeldz - Yes, I made sure I was all the way locked. Could just be the angle of the photo or the difference with the SM bars.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
How many people on the forums bought these because I just looked at Revzilla and all of them are out of stock. Haha If that is a result of people seeing them here, Revzilla should give me some commission. Lol
I had a notifier set and when I got the email they only had 2 in stock of the 1-inch kit. I believe I picked up the last one. They never had the 1.5 in stock though. 

Having said that, I think when they are readily available I'm gonna give it a go to see for myself.

Paulie the Guinea Pig rides again!

I think the SB bars with the Gilles Tooling rearsets in the highest/furthest back position is a great do-it-all combo for street, canyon carving, track etc, but since I've become quite hooked on track days, I wouldn't mind going even lower with the bars if I can (but not at the expense of any interference).

Without being able to comment on the track feel yet, I would have to agree with you on this one. I'm a little curious about going lower myself, but with that said I still thoroughly enjoy my current setup.

You sure that's full lock? I only ask because here's my Suburban Machinery bars at full lock and it looks significantly different: 

- Paulie

Yeah I was wondering the same thing.  It does appear the the SM bars have more sweep angle in them though, so maybe that's it? 

• Premium Member

- Paulie

Yeah I was wondering the same thing.  It does appear the the SM bars have more sweep angle in them though, so maybe that's it? 
If the Woodcraft bars do in fact have less sweep, the 1.5 in the lowest position probably would clear everything.  And also if they have less sweep, you'd have more leverage.  Not a bad thing in my book :) 
- Paulie

Archived