The MT-07 Forum

CHAIN NOISE

dony

• Premium Member

I picked up my bike a few days ago and while it is amazing if I had any complaint it would be that the chain seemed a little noisy. I have always had shaft driven bikes so when I heard it I thought nothing of it until I saw a thread on here. The poster said when he rode by curbs, cars, etc. he heard a sort of rattle from the chain area. This describes exactly what I was hearing. I looked at the chain and checked the tension and it was within spec. It was clean and appeared to be lubed but I decided to clean and lube it anyway. I used Motul chain cleaner and lube and then took it out for a run. The noise was 100% better, there was still a slight sound but I'm sure it is normal, before I could hear it over engine and wind noise. I would suggest trying this, it worked for me. By the way the Motul lube is very good and it does not sling at all. 

I had the noise too but that's normal, I waited til my break in and adjusted it then. No problems.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I clean and lube my chain regularly. Pretty much every two hours of riding or if I ride in the rain.  My slack is also adjusted between 2.0" and 2.2" from the chain guard... still makes that noise. I don't know if it's normal or not...

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Mine is also noisy but I have to do a chain tension adjustment this weekend, so maybe that will help.

Mine is noisy too. I checked the chain alignment with the front sprocket, corrected a little misalignment and made sure the tension was right. Also cleaned and lubed it. It made no difference in the way the chain sounded. I guess that is just the way it is. If you really want to hear it ride through a neighborhood with parked cars on the street and pull in the clutch and let the bike coast at idle, lol.

• Premium Member

That's weird because after I lubed mine it did get a lot better although when I go over a decent bump I here a rattle. I think it may bounce off the side of the exhaust , there seems to be a few dings in it. This bike is so cool I wouldn't really care if it sounded like a baby rattle, but is different from the cruiser I had with its perfect chrome exhaust. Hard to get used to the naked version with bare pipes and exposed welds but I guess that's part of what makes it so light and fun!

• Premium Member
speedingtickets

Seems like these chains come loose from the factory. My 2014 KTM XCF and 2015 FZ-07 were delivered with chains flapping in the wind. I tighten 1" tighter than spec as it will soon stretch, some might disagree but it gives better throttle response. Too tight will stress the engine and chain. I use a pressure washer to clean the chain spinning the wheel on a Pit Bull Stand, dry with a blower and towel , and then use Maxima three step clean and lube, making sure to cover tires and exhaust with an old towel. I don't ride in the rain so once every 500 miles or if it just needs it, is fine. Probably overkill but my chain is tight, well lubed and always looks new. Learn to tighten this yourself, it is easy, just use a torque wrench and make sure the marks are even. Also, they sell aftermarket parts with more precise and visible alignment markers.  

cherenkovblu3

I actually just came on here to comment about this problem. I noticed im getting a lot of chain noise as well, the tension is within spec, I clean and lube it at least every 600 miles and check tension. Definitely very loud, I cant hear it unless im driving past a wall / car/ structure, etc, like others have mentioned, but if I move my left leg away from the bike I can hear it, sometimes even over my M4 exhaust. I cant figure out how to make it any better. It seems this is more of a characteristic of this bike then a problem the more I research it.

i've looked into this online last week. Most people points toward 2 things, chain tensioner and valve tapping. People have tried cleaning the chain, lubing the chain, adjust tension, taking the bike apart to check for anything loose, still does the noise. So the other explanation, which might be the most conclusive, is valve tapping.

• Premium Member

Is it the fuel injectors?? Or is it from the emmissions solenoid?? Even pulling the jeep worthy snorkel out will increase engine noise...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest Ralph

The bike is so quiet you hear things you would not normally hear,
the chain does tend to need adjustment in the first few miles but
after a few hundred miles settles down and rarely needs to be adjusted.

• Premium Member

Like all things with moving parts it makes noise. When you hear nothing then you might have a problem, things are too tight and that is when stuff wares out prematurely.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Seems like these chains come loose from the factory. My 2014 KTM XCF and 2015 FZ-07 were delivered with chains flapping in the wind. I tighten 1" tighter than spec as it will soon stretch, some might disagree but it gives better throttle response. Too tight will stress the engine and chain. I use a pressure washer to clean the chain spinning the wheel on a Pit Bull Stand, dry with a blower and towel , and then use Maxima three step clean and lube, making sure to cover tires and exhaust with an old towel. I don't ride in the rain so once every 500 miles or if it just needs it, is fine. Probably overkill but my chain is tight, well lubed and always looks new. Learn to tighten this yourself, it is easy, just use a torque wrench and make sure the marks are even. Also, they sell aftermarket parts with more precise and visible alignment markers.  
Sorry, but this is all a huge mistake!.  
Over-tightening the chain is the 2nd worst thing you can do to it followed by the pressure washer.

Along with putting too much tension on the chain, too tight will result in prematurely worn out sprockets, and maybe even damage the countershaft bearings inside the gear box. You want noise, wait till that fails. 

As the suspension works and gets compressed, the chain will get even tighter! This is why it's set relatively loose with no weight on the bike. 

I now have 1100 miles on mine and the chain tension has not changed a mm. Modern chains - even the junky ones that come OE do not break in. They should go many thousands of miles w/o adjustment. The current chain on my Aprilia now has 9k miles and has not been touched. That bike has 50% more power and weighs 130 lbs more. 

As for using a pressure washer to clean the chain, I'd recommend not even going near a motorcycle with a pressure washer. The outside of your chain will be clean and shiny, but you will force water past the o-rings and into the inside of the chain. Drying the chain with a towel and hair dryer will not get the water back out.  After that, you will have a chain with rust inside - which, of course, will need to be adjusted avery 1000 miles.

We won't even get into wheel bearings or electrics, or brake master cylinders, all in harm's way  

Guest Ralph

I always adjust mine on the slack side of the setting, the chain may not run in but the
sprockets sure do, once I adjust it I then sit on the bike get as much weight as I can on
the suspension and as a second check have a feel at it again it will be tighter due to
the suspension compressing but should not be as tight as a Japanese wrestlers jock strap.

• Premium Member

I agree with stated above.

Have to be careful with the chain that thing is your life line.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 1 year later...

Having owned many bikes, this chain seems loud coasting in neutral. I think it's the chain rollers. They must be more loose than other chains. A thicker lube may help or just live with it. Don't try to adjust it out.

+2 NEVER get a pressure washer anywhere near your bike, especially the chain.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed mine. To a z link gold chain noise is gone. Rode with stock chain for 15k that noise bothered me so much. Even with regular chain maintenance could never get it to go away

Archived