The MT-07 Forum

symptoms of throttle body being out of sync?

wr250x

Out of curiosity what are the symptoms of the throttle body being out of sync?

I ask bc when my local bike mechanic did my 600 mile service he said it sounded fine and the bike runs very well so no need to do that. I'm at almost 1000 miles and haven't had one issue.
But curious about the symptoms of..

Guest Ralph

On mine it tended to stall just as you touched the throttle to set off
sometimes you can hear a slight difference as in one louder cylinder exhaust than the
other but I could not ear anything on mine but if you don't have any problems
leave well alone.

thomascrown

The idle isn't as crisp, which is hard to gauge unless you've felt both an aligned and unaligned throttle body.

• Premium Member

Throttle loses some of its responsiveness, bike loses some power and it feels more vibey. The best description is that it just feels different, not in a good way, but not extreme either.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I would still sync it, chances are you'll notice a difference. At 600 miles mine was only off by a hair and the bike still benefited from it. Should take your mechanic less than a 1/2 hour.

Everything went braap.

bmwpowere36m3

As mentioned above, there are some symptoms... but they are hard to diagnose/notice because it happens slowly over time you become accustomed to it. Like putting on a fresh set of rubber, it always seems like you didn't know what you were missing by riding on "old/worn" rubber till you get a new set.

Its just one of those things to check every once in a while... sometimes its good, sometimes it isn't. However if you do notice poor idling, off-throttle response, "smoothness" and its been a while since you checked it, it could be it.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible that after taking the bike for its first service, it might end up out of sync? I just had my first service and the bike feels a little different in the throttle area. Not sure if its just me, but it seems like its a tiny bit less torquey, or maybe a tiny bit less responsive. Also on deceleration it seems like it burbles more than before. It's kinda hard to tell because I don't ride it regularly, and I can't tell if it was out of sync before so now its different/better and maybe I'm just starting to get used to the bikes torque, so its not as exhilarating as it used to feel. Any tips?

I'm thinking I'm gonna take it back on Saturday just to be safe

• Premium Member

If in doubt, I recommend reading the other related threads here, opt for one of the measurement systems, and... do it yourself to be sure where it's at.

Guest GringoStarr

For what it's worth, I sync'd mine last night with the motionpro manometer.. With 3k miles they weren't far out and it took about an 1/8 of a turn of the screw clockwise. It was noticeable while messing with the screw but I think it'd have to be quite a ways off to just hear or feel it. It took some maniacally precise tweaking to get the bars to rise/fall evenly while revving it (not sure that's a requirement) while also being even at idle.

Guest GringoStarr

Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread or propose crazy theories but it felt like up/down shifting was smoother after syncing. Granted I'm pretty new to riding but sometimes it seems like I can't possibly avoid that thump letting the clutch out on upshift or downshift even with rev matching. Maybe that could be a symptom of them being out of sync...ie just enough roughness that it becomes apparent when the clutch grabs?

• Premium Member

I doubt it gringo, since you relate being a relative newbee. I suspect it is just your developing shifting technique being somewhat inconsistent (all of us start like that, and some actually get better) and not the throttle sync, or lack there of.

• Premium Member

Gringo, I couldn't get the site to load; just kept getting a "...no_cypher_overlap" error. So, sorry, I cannot comment further.

Archived