The MT-07 Forum

I crashed my FZ-07 (video)

GaiusDJesse

GaiusDJesse

Accident happens at 2:42. My friend picks the camera up at 11:05.
My accident on April 1st 2015. I lost all memory of this starting from around 1:00.[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qicjDdBGZGA]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard not to look at obstacles but when we do, we go right towards them and it's so important to just look where you need to go and lean hard. I know, too late for that info but wanted to post this for other new riders who see this. Look away and lean, avoid the brake.

GaiusDJesse

Yes, my brother told me the same thing, that I have some kind of purpose for living. Everyone tells me I'm lucky to be alive. It's just been hard to believe that because it's been very stressful especially because my girlfriend of two years decided to break with me now when I needed her most. Physically i'm okay though, I will be walking again. I'm supposed to be taking occupational therapy already.

I agree with you and I hope this video does serve some purpose to make others aware, especially new riders.

Veteran riders ned to see it too as we often get comfortable and overconfident. Sorry to hear about your GF. I don't know her, but to hell with her man. She obviously wasn't the one for you and for her to leave you now means there is nothing to second guess.

Life throws us learning curves man, sometimes big freaking ones. And while they seem completely shetty while they are happening, years later you often look back thankful because they tend to teach us alot about ourselves and often cause positive changes in our lives.

I hope that you recover physically and mentally and keep your chin up. And keep coming back here, you are still one of us. Let us know if you ever get back up on two wheels.

pantheraleo

Hard to see that. Very hard. It is simply incredible you survived, and that you are doing 'okay' physically. I thought "target fixation" when I watched it before reading any comments.

Hey, its nearly gotten me a few times so I'm trying to remain super vigilant about it. Thanks for sharing this, keep us updated on your recovery, brother!

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Glad your still alive. So many questions about the accident.
1. That a 2 lane road??? Where are the lane markers if so?? Or is it one way?
2. Was the truck stationary or moving? If so how fast?
3. If not moving, might have it been better to drop/slide the bike under the truck instead of a direct hit?
4. Was this your first time up there?
5. Is this is a new bike? Tires properly broken in already?
6. What kind of helmet were you using?

I know you don't remember a lot, but whatever you can remember helps, and maybe others who see this can notice things better than I. Seems like the downward angle of the road and the speed made it very hard to lean even if you'd tried, theres nolane markers anyway, so how is one supposed to know the outside inside outside turn path to go??

All I know for sure is this is exactly why I don't go fast or even remotely fast on mountain roads. I've already had an accident on the freeway due to bad road conditions, thank god I survived that too, so my biggest fear is road conditions. You just never know what's around the next corner. Could be oily, could be potholes, wet, Sandy, dirty, muddy, bumpy, could be traffic, could be an animal, anything. And there's no space to bail, usually either cliff, wall, or impact with machine. Everything is just a million times more dangerous up there. I still go cause the scenery is nice, but I'm not rushing and any blind corner I take with as much control as I can, regardless of how much I gotta slow down(of course slowing down safely too, don't wanna get rear ended). I know I'm not a racer and its not a race track and Im not gonna pretend. Ive already nearly paid the ultimate price for riding outside of proper conditions for the situation, so im doing everything i can to avoid or minimize the risk. Thats why sometimes i wont even ride. I remember that being one of tips in the rider course, occasionally the best option is dont ride. You cant avoid everything, but it certainly doesnt help to take unnecessary risks. may never go to glendora now, seriously still don't get why there's no lane markers??

In any case, I wish you a fast recovery, and hopefully there isn't much permanent damage. If you do decide to ride again, let me know. But just remember, safety is huge to me, so I won't go fast just to keep up. Hopefully your buddy takes less risks too, kinda seems like it could have easily been him too. Or even a car, that truck took up like 3/4s of the road! Makes no sense. Glad your alive man, really really glad your alive

Just noticed at the 1:08 mark there's a sign that says 30mph... When you entered the turn you were going nearly twice that speed. Those signs are there to prevent this type of stuff. Gonna pay even more attention to those things from now on

Thanks for posting the video. Learning a lot from it

thomascrown
Just noticed at the 1:08 mark there's a sign that says 30mph... When you entered the turn you were going nearly twice that speed. Those signs are there to prevent this type of stuff. Gonna pay even more attention to those things from now on 
It wasn't just speed alone, but a complete lack of lane discipline.  Every time you cross the imaginary yellow line, you're training your mind to think it's okay.  It's absolutely not okay ever to cross into the opposing lane, even if there is no traffic.  When you take lines with the expectation that you're corner exit will be the opposing lane, you're setting yourself up for disaster,because sooner or later, a car will show up at the most inopportune time.  

Glad OP is alive, may you have a speedy recovery.  

• Premium Member

Wow, im glad you survived that one. I hope you have a speedy recovery, i can only imagine the physical and mental stress that a crash like that may cause.

pantheraleo
It wasn't just speed alone, but a complete lack of lane discipline.  Every time you cross the imaginary yellow line, you're training your mind to think it's okay.  It's absolutely not okay ever to cross into the opposing lane, even if there is no traffic.  When you take lines with the expectation that you're corner exit will be the opposing lane, you're setting yourself up for disaster,because sooner or later, a car will show up at the most inopportune time.   
Glad OP is alive, may you have a speedy recovery.  
I actually thought it was a one-way road when I was watching it, until the truck showed up. I was thinking, "what a cool track they've set up for riding out there". The absence of lane markings makes it tough to stay in your 'lane'. Maybe I would have identified that potential issue, but maybe not. It looks to be a tricky stretch of road, and we all have lapses in focus and prudence, yes?

My only point is this: I have entered turns well over posted speeds many times.

It took excess speed AND (I believe) target fixation OR use of the front brake straightening the bike up. It looks like the bike was fighting the turn, so I wonder if the rider was on the front brake hard while he was trying to turn.

His memory loss likely means we may never know for sure.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

PearlWhiteFZ

The bike can be replaced and bones can heal, so that being said thank GOD!!!! You made it out alive. I can just imgaine how scare your friend was.....as I got goosebumps hoping to hear you were talking to the first responders. Speedy recovery and stay safe.

I've watched more than my share of crash videos, but I have never been so shocked. I am happy you are alive. Glad you had people with you that were so quick to help out. Take it easy out there and stay safe.

bmwpowere36m3

Wow.... Glad the OP is doing okay and hopefully his experience can be a learning experience.

When he gets on the road from the pull-off there's a sign indicating two-way traffic. There doesn't have to be a painted line.... Many backroads around me are not marked with lines and even less have any sign indicating its a two-way. I always operate under the assumption a road is two-way, unless there's a sign indicating its one (pretty rare).

Mistake wasn't really speed, though it contributed. It was crossing the imagery "line". Had he stayed in his lane, he would have avoided the truck and very likely made the turn at his speed. Target fixation played a factor too, but it's something that's hard to NOT do for a lot of riders/drivers in panic situations. Riders should focus on variables more easily controlled: keeping alert, keeping eyes forward and looking way down the road, speed, lane control, emergency braking and emergency swerving.

Instinctively we fix on a target, steer toward it (because we go where we look) and brake. Many times it's much better to stay on the gas and swerve around a "problem". Now if the truck happened to be in his "lane", around a "blind" corner, that's a different story.

Wow. Just wow.. I am so glad you are ok. @gaiusdjesse It must be weird to have this video and watch it when you don't remember it. Is it a weird feeling knowing you are watching yourself and you can't remember it happening? I'm guessing you've been in the hospital and recovering since? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of injuries do you have and also, did your girlfriend break up with you because of the crash, or for a different reason? My girlfriend was really close to breaking up with me after my crash because of the crash. I think this hits really close to home because we see it from a familiar cockpit.. My God, makes me realize how lucky I was when I went down a few weeks ago.. I could have slid right into an oncoming car or something and have been a lot worse off. This really makes me think.. @admin now I'm starting to think you aren't so crazy switching to just dirt.. Maybe I should start thinking to do the same..

GaiusDJesse

@admin Yes you're right, to hell with her. She's just been making it worse for me but I finally cut off the communication between us tonight and to be honest.. I feel a lot better!
I really appreciate those words of wisdom and all your support, it means a lot to me. I will definitely let you guys know if I get back on!

@pantheraleo Thank you! Yes target fixation is no joke, I know now haha. I believe that it was the use of the front brake that straightened me out and made me go towards the truck then I tried to lean but I was going to fast and I just wobbled. I don't remember but that's what I think happened.

@roadrunner I was actually going 43 on the turn. The police report said that the speed limit was 40.
1. It was a two way but it's an unmarked road.
2. The truck was moving, maybe about 30-40 mph.
3. If not moving, it could have been worse if I slid under the truck because then my whole body would have smashed onto the truck. That's what I think.
4. Yes my first time up there. Didn't know what to expect.
5. I had the bike for seven months. I'm sure the tires were already broken in.
6. I was using a Shoei, but an older model.

I guess you would have to just stick to the right side of the road as much as you can. I think that if there were markers on the road then I wouldn't have crashed. I would never ride in the rain and I would always wear all my gear all the time, I was just having too much fun out there and I never thought this would happen but I definitely learned. 
I am really happy to hear that you and everyone watching my video are glad that I'm alive and wish me well especially since the closest person to me basically abandoned me at this time. It helps me a lot and I'm so glad I posted up the video and I hope it helps others to learn from my mistake. Thank you so much!

@thomascrown I know what you mean, I just wish I would have thought of it that way at the time. But you are totally right, my video there is proof of that. Thank you for the support though.

@grahamfz07 Yes the physical damage sucks but luckily i'll recover from it. Mentally it hurts more to be honest, not being able to do the things you use to, always being stuck at home and sitting, but the worst is when people give up on you.

GaiusDJesse

@nlsquare Yup! That's what happened and I am glad to still be here! Thanks!

@mattegreyfz My friend was panicking and pacing as you can tell from the video. Yes I was conscious the whole time, I just lost my memory. Thanks!

@lucius Thanks! I did get lucky for that! Everyone tells me that this was one crazy accident and they keep replaying it.

@bmwpowere36m3 Thank you and yes I learned from this. The mistake was just a mix of everything bad you can do at a blind curve. I should have been more aware.

@panzer716 Thank you Allan. It was actually very weird when I first saw it but I've watched it so many times now that I feel like it wasn't me who was riding because I don't remember any of that, if that makes sense. I was only in the hospital for nine days, I broke my tibia, fibula (compound fracture), femur (broke it in the middle and where it goes into the socket of my hip), and I broke my ulna and humerus at the elbow. My girlfriend wouldn't give me a very good reason as to why but I'm pretty sure that my accident had something to do with me because that's when I noticed her start to change. You're lucky she stayed with you man, it's not a good feeling at all when the person you love and are so devoted to does something like that to you. I've been in a lot of pain (mentally) but everyone's support on here and on YouTube has really been helping me get through it these past few days. Yes we have to stay safe out there and always remember that when we're on the road.. This is the worst thing that's happened to me by far.

bmwpowere36m3

@GaiusDJesse As they say,"good decisions come from experience and experience comes from bad decisions"

Again, glad your okay and shared your story.

Holy cow! Very glad you are alive. Even though it sucks your gf left you, honestly nothing superficial like that matters right now. Just focus on getting better. Will you be getting another bike when you recover?

• Global Moderator

I saw this a reddit and was shocked to say the least. I'm glad you're okay.

You will probably get a lot of well meant advice. But this could happen to any of us. We all know exactly what we should be doing but I will the first to admit that I don't always follow to my own advice. I goof around, exceed the speed limit and don't always ride the ideal lines. And I have 25 years of experience so I should know better. We all do stupid things but some are luckier then others. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Premium Member

Glad to learn that you're all right. In a broad sense of the term anyway.

Hope you heal fully and aren't set back by your injuries. In the future, when spirits are better - you can say you single handedly took down a monster truck, never shall any mortal give you troubles!

Everything went braap.

My heart dropped. Wow. Glad you're alive and seemingly in high spirits. Keep the faith man. It's a long recovery.

@panzer716 Thank you Allan. It was actually very weird when I first saw it but I've watched it so many times now that I feel like it wasn't me who was riding because I don't remember any of that, if that makes sense. I was only in the hospital for nine days, I broke my tibia, fibula (compound fracture), femur (broke it in the middle and where it goes into the socket of my hip), and I broke my ulna and humerus at the elbow. My girlfriend wouldn't give me a very good reason as to why but I'm pretty sure that my accident had something to do with me because that's when I noticed her start to change. You're lucky she stayed with you man, it's not a good feeling at all when the person you love and are so devoted to does something like that to you. I've been in a lot of pain (mentally) but everyone's support on here and on YouTube has really been helping me get through it these past few days. Yes we have to stay safe out there and always remember that when we're on the road.. This is the worst thing that's happened to me by far.
@gaiusdjesse That does make sense about the video. That must be such a weird sensation. Those also sound like some not so fun injuries too. I'm really sorry she did that to you. My girlfriend of 3 years was close to doing that and my crash was no where near as bad as yours. After a long talk with her, she stayed, but if mine was as bad as yours, the out come may have been different. My accident was no where near as bad as yours and I can't even imagine the pain, both physically and mentally , you are going through, but I can kind of relate to your situation. If you ever need to talk to someone or need help or anything Jesse, I'm just a PM away. I wouldn't want to go through this alone and I wouldn't want you to either. 

Archived