The MT-07 Forum

Leather work boots are not enough. Don't believe me?

Cruizin

When I wrecked my R6 back in '04, I was screwing around on my way home from work, so I was only wearing my helmet and gloves. My shoe laces exploded as soon as I hit the ground and my helmet saved me from a concussion when I slid into the grass on the side of the road (as it through me a couple of feet into the air and I came down on my head). After that, it was gear no matter what. I wear a pair of lo Alpinestars boots and an AS leather jacket (same one I crashed in, actually). I have a couple of pairs of gloves depending on the temp outside. 
People really underestimate the importance of gear. When I see people on the road not wearing anything, I can't help but smh.
Amen to that.  I'm just sorry it takes a get off for people to learn.  I hope more people read threads like this and see the light BEFORE they have to experience it first hand.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I wrecked my R6 back in '04, I was screwing around on my way home from work, so I was only wearing my helmet and gloves. My shoe laces exploded as soon as I hit the ground and my helmet saved me from a concussion when I slid into the grass on the side of the road (as it through me a couple of feet into the air and I came down on my head). After that, it was gear no matter what. I wear a pair of lo Alpinestars boots and an AS leather jacket (same one I crashed in, actually). I have a couple of pairs of gloves depending on the temp outside. 
People really underestimate the importance of gear. When I see people on the road not wearing anything, I can't help but smh.

That certainly was my intention the moment that I first saw that pic. I wanted to share it and hopefully get peoples attention because we have a very dangerous hobby. Good gear swings the percentages towards surviving and getting back up after a wreck back in our favor. It's no guarantee but it helps so much more than just wearing street clothes that are not designed for slapping into things at 50 MPH or higher. That road below us is high spinning sandpaper with mega grit. Clothes disenagrate quickly and road rash hurts so freaking bad, and for so long. Bones break and shatter.

This is why so many Harley riders die each year. Look at the stupid shet that they wear. Harleys are truly the Chlorine in the Redneck Genepool. And that chlorine works well.

• Premium Member

Man, I'm having a hard time settling on a pair of motorcycle specific boots. I really dislike the appearance of sport bike gear, but I guess I'll have to just deal with it since they all seem to have the same look. I like the Icon 1000 boots, but have a sneaking suspicion that they're garbage compared to the track stuff.

I need some better gloves too...

Everything went braap.

Man, I'm having a hard time settling on a pair of motorcycle specific boots. I really dislike the appearance of sport bike gear, but I guess I'll have to just deal with it since they all seem to have the same look. I like the Icon 1000 boots, but have a sneaking suspicion that they're garbage compared to the track stuff. 

These are my boots

Sidi_Canyon_Gore-Tex_Boots_detail.jpg

I rode in 95 degree heat yesterday and when I got home, my socks were dry. And, two weeks ago I rode in pouring rain for 120 miles and when I got home, my feet were dry.

I got em because friend of mine dumped his bike at 70 MPH and was wearing these and had no foot damage at all.

So completely waterproof, but breath good enough to not have sweaty feet on hot days, and has good protection. Plus, the ratcheting system is freakin awesome.

The Sidi Canyon Goretex are the best riding boots I have ever owned. and brothers, I have owned alot of boots!

Which ones were you looking at?  I just did a quick search and looked at some on Revzilla... I found some that are CE rated - like these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-truant-ce-boots or these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-prep-wp-boots - albeit I think both of those are only level 1 rated; just my own assumption based on look, build, and the lack of mentioning they were level 2 (you'd think if they were level 2, they would advertise it).  

• Premium Member
Which ones were you looking at?  I just did a quick search and looked at some on Revzilla... I found some that are CE rated - like these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-truant-ce-boots or these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-prep-wp-boots - albeit I think both of those are only level 1 rated; just my own assumption based on look, build, and the lack of mentioning they were level 2 (you'd think if they were level 2, they would advertise it).  

I was looking at the Elsinore, but still no mention of level 2 like you mentioned.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-elsinore-boots

I do like those boots @admin posted.. I might opt for those as they're a bit more understated than most. Waterproof is really nice too, but still breathable.

Everything went braap.

I was looking at the Elsinore, but still no mention of level 2 like you mentioned.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-elsinore-boots

I do like those boots @admin posted.. I might opt for those as they're a bit more understated than most. Waterproof is really nice too, but still breathable.

Yeah, I don't think the Elsinore is even level 1. Usually to get level 2 you need either hard TPU or steel reinforcement, either on the outside or built in.

• Premium Member

MAN. What shock value. Thanks for the warning.... 

I keep hearing of so many going down lately. :(

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

These are the ones I'm using currently. Alpinestars SMX-1. They fit great. Feels like a regular pair of shoes, for the most part.
Those are good short boots too.  I was down to those and the Dynos, and the Dynos just fit my feet better.  Both boots are very comparable.   
I wore my Dynos for 10 hours once (to/from work and at work all day on a jeans day).  I won't say it was as comfortable as "normal" shoes, but it wasn't dreadful.  

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
I wish you experience riders would post some kind of riding gear you would recommend for us new riders then just trying guessing. im ordered a gmax 54 modual helmet, i also have a tourmaster jett 2 jacket and icon riding gloves. but now i need riding jeans can someone recommend a good pair of Kevlar jean, no baggy jeans. would also like to know if the knee and hip pads are necessary. im looking at sliders new jeans and finn moto?
now i guess my work boots aren't good, need help there to  
i was out on the road for a week so i'm late to this discussion, and if this was already addressed: please excuse my jumping-in.

from the top down:
armored leather is best. the more armor the better. hips, knees, tail-bone, back, shoulders, elbows, ankles, hands/knuckles and toes. you can't have too much armor. but... its blazing hot.

shoes should always come above the ankle.  they should have an oil-resistant sole.  they should be strong enough to keep your foot from being ripped off. triple stitched heavy leather.

kevlar is good. lots of folks have survived an accident in it, but if there is no place for armor you should pass it over for something that does have place for armor. sliding injuries are bad, but impact injuries are really really bad. case in point: i didn't break a single bone when i had a big accident last year. even so, i suffered a LOT of soft-tissue damage and it took months to heal. this was blunt-impact damage in places where there was no armor.  a lot of my muscles are now scar-tissue, and it took a very long time for those muscles to heal. ask a nurse/doctor about blunt-impact damage to muscle tissue.

anything that cushions the blow, contains body-parts, and restricts pulling/tearing of appendages is good.

for hot weather, motorcross/offroad gear makes the most sense.

-HowWorkClutch

I wish you experience riders would post some kind of riding gear you would recommend for us new riders then just trying guessing. im ordered a gmax 54 modual helmet, i also have a tourmaster jett 2 jacket and icon riding gloves. but now i need riding jeans can someone recommend a good pair of Kevlar jean, no baggy jeans. would also like to know if the knee and hip pads are necessary. im looking at sliders new jeans and finn moto?
now i guess my work boots aren't good, need help there to  
Joe Rocket Jeans are the only ones I found that are for a slim bod.  But they are a bit low cut.  All of the rest that I checked are for "relaxed fit", which means I can put a winter quilted liner in them and still have room for my bod.

Last time I looked into Kevlar jeans was 5-6 years ago...and the Kevlar was just sewn patches in key areas...and I didn't like that they called em Kevlar jeans when I expected them to be 100% Kevlar/JeaJean mix material not just kevlar patches sewn in the key area's inside the pant...the jeans I have are double jeans where it has 2 layers of heavy heavy denim and 3 layers In the knee area...and most jeans I see worn by bikers around here is them 175$ designer jeans that look painted on...
Denim comes in rolls 60" wide, it takes about a yard and a half to make a jean, and costs $2.50 to $5 a yard. Kevlar comes in 45" widths and starts around $35 to $40 a yard and up. You would need about 2 1/4 yards of 45" goods to make a full jean. Now factor in the costs of labor for cutting, sewing, and finishing, and you can see why the jeans are not fully lined. It isn't necessary, it is expensive, bulky, and would result in a poorer product.  
Note I am talking about kevlar lined jeans above, and not kevlar cotton blends. 

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I'm thinking ordering me a pair of scorpion covert pro jeans 170 ish bucks for full cordura (made to look like denim) and Kevlar. No protectors but they can be added. Anyone tried these?

the covert pro jeans look good, I wish I can find something like the covert pro for $100

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

the covert pro is sold out everywhere. I just ordered the covert. we will see how it fits. I may order covert pro later if i like the fit.

bmwpowere36m3

I got the converts… what's the difference with the pros? I was searching for SAS-TEC armor, but it was sold-out everywhere. Looked on eBay and found a German seller, $30 shipped for knee and hip. Got it in less than a week, couldn't believe it.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

covert pros are cordura (died to look like denim) not denim and its 100% covered in kevlar not just patches in critical zones.

bmwpowere36m3

I see... the coverts essentially are 100% kevlar lined above the knee IIRC. Better than some other "lined" jeans I've seen, like: Joe Rocket, Compaq, AGV and some others. For the price they seem really nice.

However, I do like on my Dainese D6 pants the kevlar is everywhere, mixed in with denim fibers... but it has no armor pockets.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Man, I dont want to sound preachy here, but seeing people constantly ride around in flipflops, shorts and a tank top etc etc make me cringe. You know these riders..."Acting cool, looking stupid". Why even wear the helmet at that point? I dont care how hot it is; I am in my Dainese leathers, fully armoured Sidi boots, and "Racer" brand gloves.... always. I may get a bit hot at a stop but I know if I go down my limbs wont be ground down to the bone and I will not loose my job, my business, my home...or my wife. Dont cheap out. Do the research and spend the few extra bucks for proper gear....or of course you could cheap out and end up like this guy, or far worse. At the very least, weigh the possible medical bills against your cost of gear. Go look at some more accident pictures of 'no/cheap gear riders'. Yummy stuff.
"Motoport" has some amazing gear especially their pants. Check them out; it isnt cheap but then again, neither is your life or limb. Ride safe damn it.

https://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=category&layout=detail&cid=29&Itemid=2

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

Just curious. How much does it cost in medical bills to get you ankle all fixed up in that condition? Did your friend have some kind of health insurance to cover it?

First post on this website.
Just getting back to cycle riding after a 10 year break and am considering either an FZ-07 or an FZ-09.
Since I am older and (hopefully) smarter, my intention is to make riding gear a priority.
Looking at this thread to find out what riding boots will work best for me and am running into a problem.
My shoe size is 6 or 6 1/2 in youth and 7 1/2 to 8 in a woman shoe.
The problem is that I am a guy and women's shoes are typically too narrow to fit my feet.
For higher top boots it seems that women have smaller ankles than guys and even if the foot fits, the ankle binds really badly.
Every brand I can find start at either 7 or 8 in men's sizes.
Does anybody have a solution?

Also should mention that the few riding shoes that show up online in sizes that will fit me are all listed as "not in stock at this time" so some place that actually has something available would be nice.

joe rocket jean may fit good but the protection isnt there, they never mention the thickness of the kevlar which mean its supper thin.
finn moto jean is what you should be looking, straight leg fit and probably the best kevlar jeans for the same price as joe rokets.

http://finnmoto.com.au/blue-motorcycle-jeans-300gsm-kevlar/

http://finnmoto.com.au/blue-protective-motorcycle-jeans-450gsm-kevlar/

Archived