The MT-07 Forum

Leather work boots are not enough. Don't believe me?

Cruizin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Wow, makes me wonder if my low cut icon boots are good enough

• Premium Member

Yeah, i think that pic just made up my mind, been sitting on the fence for a bit on picking up some sidis.

• Premium Member
I go with well armored riding boots, even when hot out. Especially after my friend posted that.
Do you know what kind of boots he was actually wearing (presumably not something specific to motorcycles)?   
I don't wear "heavily" armored boots, but mine do have ankle protection in them (and I would not be able to ride in the Phoenix heat at all if I could not wear gear with plenty of venting -- I sweat like a hooker in church as it is already). 

I wear these (firstgear mesh lo) -- went with the lo cut boots, which fit like hightops, because I have 19" calves and it is hard to find a tall boot that will fit around them:
 firstgear_mesh_lo_boots_detail.jpg

What does the rest of him look like? You gonna have some serious marks elsewhere if you burn through a decent pair of work boots. I would like to see a pic of his boots.

What does the rest of him look like? You gonna have some serious marks elsewhere if you burn through a decent pair of work boots. I would like to see a pic of his boots.

He is in the hospital, haven't seen him yet. He was wearing Wolverines, which are tougher than alot of these new "Summer" riding shoes that are getting popular now days.

• Premium Member

I hate to admit my lack of intelligence, but I really can't tell exactly what that is a photo of. Doesn't look remotely close to a foot. Got any details?

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

He was wearing Wolverines
That's what I wear sometimes. Dam. 

That is one ugly injury.

I wish that fellow a speedy recovery.

I hate to admit my lack of intelligence, but I really can't tell exactly what that is a photo of. Doesn't look remotely close to a foot. Got any details?

It is a broken foot and ankle just after the first round of surgery. this photo reminds me that sweaty feet are better than this and heavily armored riding boots are worn by racers for a reason.

I wish you experience riders would post some kind of riding gear you would recommend for us new riders then just trying guessing.
im ordered a gmax 54 modual helmet, i also have a tourmaster jett 2 jacket and icon riding gloves. but now i need riding jeans can someone recommend a good pair of Kevlar jean, no baggy jeans. would also like to know if the knee and hip pads are necessary. im looking at sliders new jeans and finn moto?
now i guess my work boots aren't good, need help there to  

• Global Moderator

Damn, and here i was hoping my Bates gx8's would withstand a decent beating

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

@nick I think the most important thing to do is look at the level of danger in your riding and pair that with the necessary armor to protect you in the case of going down. I personally commute in steel toe work boots and a mesh jacket and my helmet of course but I have a 3 mile ride, speed limit 35 or under, and it is uncommon for me to even see another car on the way to work. If I hit the twisties I'll step up to my leather jacket and armored riding pants I don't yet have a dedicated armored boot but after seeing posts like this and close calls from effing cagers who are too damn busy texting instead of driving I need to find one.

As far as my jackets are concerned I have the CE rated back protectors in everything I own. The ones that they come with stock are really just a space holder.

In my experience gear must fit well and be comfortable so you are more willing to wear it. I bought a nice leather jacket that fit great in the store off the bike but as soon as I jumped on the bike its just not comfortable. So I sold it and bought one that was. I wish they had bigger motorcycle gear stores here in the states. In Germany they have massive stores that are dedicated to everything motorcycle. One in particular is about the size of the biggest Harley dealership I have even seen but 3 freaking stories of gear and accessories. In all of these stores they have bikes to sit on to try and see how the gear fits in a riding position. Needless to say in a recent trip my girlfriend and I both came back with complete new riding gear. Luckily the euro exchange rate was awesome!

I'm working up a list of Good riding boots and will put it up, complete with links in a couple of days. In the meantime, you can also call revzilla, tell them your first concern is foot safety and their experts will ask you a couple of questions and make recommendations.

• Premium Member

I have tested twice now a pair of current issue US army desert combat boots and both times I scuffed up my leather pants or jacket but the boots are still going strong with a lil wear..I do have a pair of cortec tall boots I wear when I go on day long rides... From my personal view crashing 100's of times on a dirt bike taught me a thing or two on how to take a crash... I always wear my leather jacket, combat boots or bike boots for long day trips, I Always wear heavy jeans with my dirt bike shin guards on under my pants or my leather pants for day long rides, gloves and helmet at all times...I try not to put much in my backpack due to safety reasons if I was to crash... On a personal note I will not wear " textile" gear cuz my last and hopefully last epic crash( Knocks on wood) which is 8 yrs ago come July 4th weekend did nothing to stop the carnage...the only thing I'm missing from my crash gear is a sports bike chest protector...the biggest problem I see is huge mental mentality that a person is so worried about looks/styles, what ppl say about them and comfort ...they scoff at wearing full gear till it's too late...I have cracked about 3-4 helmet shields and a mouth vent from rocks on the road that kicked up by a car...if I recall correctly a motorcycle tire has less than a credit card sized contact area with the road...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

really don't want to wear leather pants and I here that jeans don't hold up very well with road rash , you need Kevlar in the jeans

• Premium Member

Last time I looked into Kevlar jeans was 5-6 years ago...and the Kevlar was just sewn patches in key areas...and I didn't like that they called em Kevlar jeans when I expected them to be 100% Kevlar/JeaJean mix material not just kevlar patches sewn in the key area's inside the pant...the jeans I have are double jeans where it has 2 layers of heavy heavy denim and 3 layers In the knee area...and most jeans I see worn by bikers around here is them 175$ designer jeans that look painted on...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I wish you experience riders would post some kind of riding gear you would recommend for us new riders then just trying guessing. im ordered a gmax 54 modual helmet, i also have a tourmaster jett 2 jacket and icon riding gloves. but now i need riding jeans can someone recommend a good pair of Kevlar jean, no baggy jeans. would also like to know if the knee and hip pads are necessary. im looking at sliders new jeans and finn moto?
We have.  There is an entire thread on here just on boots.  If you want more reading, here's a good article I just found.  It's amazing what you can find via Google if you just try.  http://www.bikebandit.com/community/guides/the-motorcycle-boot-buyers-guide

As a somewhat experienced rider (going on 15 years now, all on sport/sporty bikes, no cruisers or dirt) here's what I personally consider the most important things in a riding boot, most of which you just do not get with "work" boots...  

Stiffness/Reinforcement - Good riding boots will basically act like a soft cast for your foot, providing stiffness and reinforcement to the foot in areas most needed.  This may vary by the boot type and price, however at a bare minimum you need a boot that can keep your ankle from over twisting in the event of a get off as well as provide abrasion and impact resistance.  "But good work boots are made of good leather and have good abrasion resistance!" you might say... Correct, but very few offer any real impact protection other than steel toes.  What you really need are heal reinforcement and super stiff soles that are reinforced, as well as toe protection.  These things, to me, make or break me ever buying a riding boot. If the boot is not at least CE level 2 rated, I will not buy it.  

Enclosures - Riding boots should not have external laces or anything that could catch on part of the bike or road debris, etc.  You also to not want any forward-facing openings that can be torn open in a crash. This is why you'll see most riding boots use velcro enclosures and/or internal lacing systems.  You need something that will keep your boots on in the case of a get off.  Sometimes this means sacrificing how easy it is to get the boot on and off.  (Also see Full vs Short boots section, below.)  

Breathability - "Summer" boots were knocked on up above, but to be honest there are some really good, breathable boots that can offer more than adequate protection while providing good air flow to keep your feet cool.  Trust me coming from a rider that deals with 110-deg heat in the summer months, having a good summer boot is a God send.  Are there boots that offer more protection? Yeah... A good leather is going to offer better abrasion resistance than a mesh/perf boot, but in all my years I've seen worse injuries from crushing, twisting and impacts than abrasion.  They might not be as good, but they are generally good enough if you get the higher end summer boots.  

Toe Sliders - This is probably optional and more for track riding, but if you drag your toes now and then, having replaceable toe sliders is nice.  

Full Length vs Short Boots - This one might bring about differing opinions for many riders, but I figured since I was targeting the "newb" riders as requested I would at least mention it.  A good short boot will provide most of the protection I mentioned above.  What it does not provide that a full length boot typically does is shin protection and as much ankle protection, namely in the ankle stiffness department.  Full length boots wrap around your lower leg and this grip helps in providing greater torsional stiffness to the ankle area.  I ride with 2 pairs of boots (as I've posted in the "boots" thread).  I have a full length set and some short boots.  Any weekend or aggressive riding I go with the full length boots for the superior protection.  When I'm commuting to work (no highway at all) or just running errands, I prefer something that's a little easier to walk in.  I liken the decision to be similar to if I would wear a full leather track suit or just get by with a jacket, jeans and some extra knee protection.  

Anyway... I'm sure nobody wants to go search for other posts, so here's the two sets I currently wear on a regular basis just to give folks an idea:  

Full Length Boots - Oxtar TCS EVO RX Replica 
tcsevo1.jpg

Short Boots - Dianese DYNO C2B
1775155_631_f_3.png

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
belleau1977

It's because of discussions on forums why I finally after 20 years of riding have decided to get better riding boots and Kevlar riding pants. I just scored these bad boys for $200 and used twice by a friend of mine. [attachment id=595" thumbnail="1][attachment id=597" thumbnail="1][attachment id=596" thumbnail="1]

I wish you experience riders would post some kind of riding gear you would recommend for us new riders then just trying guessing. im ordered a gmax 54 modual helmet, i also have a tourmaster jett 2 jacket and icon riding gloves. but now i need riding jeans can someone recommend a good pair of Kevlar jean, no baggy jeans. would also like to know if the knee and hip pads are necessary. im looking at sliders new jeans and finn moto?
We have.  There is an entire thread on here just on boots.  If you want more reading, here's a good article I just found.  It's amazing what you can find via Google if you just try.  http://www.bikebandit.com/community/guides/the-motorcycle-boot-buyers-guide 
As a somewhat experienced rider (going on 15 years now, all on sport/sporty bikes, no cruisers or dirt) here's what I personally consider the most important things in a riding boot, most of which you just do not get with "work" boots...  

Stiffness/Reinforcement - Good riding boots will basically act like a soft cast for your foot, providing stiffness and reinforcement to the foot in areas most needed.  This may vary by the boot type and price, however at a bare minimum you need a boot that can keep your ankle from over twisting in the event of a get off as well as provide abrasion and impact resistance.  "But good work boots are made of good leather and have good abrasion resistance!" you might say... Correct, but very few offer any real impact protection other than steel toes.  What you really need are heal reinforcement and super stiff soles that are reinforced, as well as toe protection.  These things, to me, make or break me ever buying a riding boot. If the boot is not at least CE level 2 rated, I will not buy it.  

Enclosures - Riding boots should not have external laces or anything that could catch on part of the bike or road debris, etc.  You also to not want any forward-facing openings that can be torn open in a crash. This is why you'll see most riding boots use velcro enclosures and/or internal lacing systems.  You need something that will keep your boots on in the case of a get off.  Sometimes this means sacrificing how easy it is to get the boot on and off.  (Also see Full vs Short boots section, below.)  

Breathability - "Summer" boots were knocked on up above, but to be honest there are some really good, breathable boots that can offer more than adequate protection while providing good air flow to keep your feet cool.  Trust me coming from a rider that deals with 110-deg heat in the summer months, having a good summer boot is a God send.  Are there boots that offer more protection? Yeah... A good leather is going to offer better abrasion resistance than a mesh/perf boot, but in all my years I've seen worse injuries from crushing, twisting and impacts than abrasion.  They might not be as good, but they are generally good enough if you get the higher end summer boots.  

Toe Sliders - This is probably optional and more for track riding, but if you drag your toes now and then, having replaceable toe sliders is nice.  

Full Length vs Short Boots - This one might bring about differing opinions for many riders, but I figured since I was targeting the "newb" riders as requested I would at least mention it.  A good short boot will provide most of the protection I mentioned above.  What it does not provide that a full length boot typically does is shin protection and as much ankle protection, namely in the ankle stiffness department.  Full length boots wrap around your lower leg and this grip helps in providing greater torsional stiffness to the ankle area.  I ride with 2 pairs of boots (as I've posted in the "boots" thread).  I have a full length set and some short boots.  Any weekend or aggressive riding I go with the full length boots for the superior protection.  When I'm commuting to work (no highway at all) or just running errands, I prefer something that's a little easier to walk in.  I liken the decision to be similar to if I would wear a full leather track suit or just get by with a jacket, jeans and some extra knee protection.  

Anyway... I'm sure nobody wants to go search for other posts, so here's the two sets I currently wear on a regular basis just to give folks an idea:  

Full Length Boots - Oxtar TCS EVO RX Replica 
tcsevo1.jpg

Short Boots - Dianese DYNO C2B
1775155_631_f_3.png

That's perfect. Thanks for reposting that.

Thanks and it was my pleasure. I probably just regurgitated a bunch of things others and myself have posted in the past, but this was all written "on the fly" again this morning. For a topic like this, it was well worth the time spent typing it. Safety can never be posted/written about/shared enough. If just one person reads this and upgrades their gear (like @belleau1977 did!), we've done our job as fellow riders.

The photo in the original post is great. As gruesome as it may look, sometimes it takes an example like this to get the point across.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

When I wrecked my R6 back in '04, I was screwing around on my way home from work, so I was only wearing my helmet and gloves. My shoe laces exploded as soon as I hit the ground and my helmet saved me from a concussion when I slid into the grass on the side of the road (as it through me a couple of feet into the air and I came down on my head). After that, it was gear no matter what. I wear a pair of lo Alpinestars boots and an AS leather jacket (same one I crashed in, actually). I have a couple of pairs of gloves depending on the temp outside.

People really underestimate the importance of gear. When I see people on the road not wearing anything, I can't help but smh.

Archived