The MT-07 Forum

Screens and lights and ideas oh my!

Burtacus

• Premium Member

Hey all...

I've literally gone through all 187 pages in one of the discussion threads and saw a lot of cool stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not all that original lol... it seems we all have about the same thoughts on customizations haha.

I bought the Puig Naked New Generation Windscreen, and best I can tell is it might deflect some bugs, but as far as changing the wind flow, I honestly can't tell. I mean, I might could say it sends a tad more wind at the helmet, in a turbulent manner, but it's to hard to tell. I'm 5'8", average legs/torso, 165lbs. Of course it looks great! (better with me on it haha)

So I just bought the MRA Double-Bubble RacingScreen Windshield to see if that's any better. (based on comments at fz07.org) It's the one I originally wanted anyway, bug dang those screens are so out of stock anywhere ya look and I couldn't wait!

I bought a naked bike, I expect wind, and do not see wind as a problem, but there are advantages to being able to control it somewhat, and that's all I'm trying to achieve. Additionally, I'm OCD on cleaning it, so no windscreen means bugs embedded in places hard to get too! And there's also the cooler months where removing some wind could be useful. Certainly not right now - 103 heat index!~ lol

I got a tail bag as well. Also a stand plate.
http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-CL-1060-S-Black-Sport-Tail/dp/B00RGQ1OJW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1434822153&sr=1-1&keywords=Nelson-Rigg+CL-1060-S+Black+Sport+Tail%2FSeat+Pack
http://www.amazon.com/KiWAV-Motorcycle-kickstand-support-outdoor/dp/B00CPGQ1GO/ref=pd_bxgy_263_text_y

For the tail bag, I did a little custom on the straps. It's got great straps, but the clips are the real deal. So I removed the straps from the clips, and put the seat straps through them instead and used a zip tie on them. But honestly, a think piece of rubber inside the loop would make more sense and be cleaner. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll create it and snap a photo. But this bag is really awesome and looks great on the bike to boot.
Luggage:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8NSKb-z1hNkZlRIeGtXSXpwTXV4TTNyeThINGV1SU1DcUxJ&authuser=0

Windscreen:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8NSKb-z1hNkWUlKeURUQnFTMkNpM3BHTkcwaUpDcWQ1UkxR&authuser=0

USB port:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8NSKb-z1hNkOUQzeGd5UzUxbzMwWWZnLWRicGN3bTJ3OXNj&authuser=0

Additionally I've moved my ram mount ball from the cruiser to this bike for phone and GPS stuff which is also viewable in the USB port photo.

Some things I want to do which I have less experience with is lighting and LED stuff. I don't want to replace my pumpkins, because they are crazy visible and I love being seen because I'm counting on the drivers who's texting and has less than a millisecond to see me. I want max visibility! Especially and specifically during the day, since I'd rarely right at night anyway. (Though did for the first time last night, talk about feeling cool & "free").

I will paint the mesh intakes red, and for internal lighting, I actually want rapid blinking lights inside that turn on with my blinkers. If possible, which lighting that runs with the headlight, but when using the blinker, the side being used white light goes out and instead orange light flashes rapidly (cop lights?) Newer cars do this, the headlight or accent light goes out while the blinker is being used. Max blinking for eye grabbing attention. I don't think there are any Georgia laws that prevent this, I'm still researching.

I've got another thing I'm working on for the rear, but I think only a photo will do it justice, I can't figure out how to explain it. But it's about visibility lol.

Additional idea... since so many of us will buy things for the bikes we aren't too sure of, and may not like, should we not offer a buy section where members can sell items? Example - what if this new screen really kicks butt for me, and I decide the one I have is coming off, maybe someone else would want it...? Just a thought. Sometimes returning things is wasteful or there's a charge. But if someone else is interested in it...

Ok that's all I got for today. Going to go ride to cycle gear and look at stuff. Peace!

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Scroll down a bit on the forum page to the green banner. We have a classified section for selling parts and such.  ::)

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'm used to riding without windscreens but with all the bugs flying around here in Florida, like no other place I've been, they can make a mess of your shirt real quick and chicks do not like their men bug splattered so I ordered a windscreen for a change. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

I actually went about 2 exits on the highway today, the weather was saying we had a 10mph wind going on. I really wasn't comfortable riding on the highway; I'll have to take the windshield off and try again and see if there is any difference. On regular roads without it, I find it no biggie up to 80mph, but 70mph today on the highway and I felt nervous just turning my head left or right for lane changes.

Keep in mind I've got a cruiser with windshield, apples and oranges, but the point is I'm not new to riding motorcycles, though I do tend to stay away from highways over all. I believe Morpheus was right when he said never go on highways! :P

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

That's another thing, usually I'm ok at 70 and 80 mph but here on the coast we get these strong gusts of wind that I'm not accustomed to and I notice at times I have a death grip on the bars because of it. Then I get the numbness in the fingers from holding on so tight but I can't take a hand off the grip to shake it out for fear a blast of wind is going to turn the bars when I'm holding on with just one hand. Then I'm stuck finishing the trip with numb hands that I can't feel anything with, that just totally sucks. I don't like riding highways either but I do like taking small road trips and the only way to make decent time is the highway. If a windscreen can come up high enough for me to tuck my chest and half the helmet behind it has to make a significant difference. At least that's what I'm hoping is the case when I get my windscreen. Fingers crossed!

Beemer

• Premium Member

Hey as far as Wheel tape goes... I'm watching a guy apply it on youtube because I bought some non curved stuff with an applicator and I was really curious to find out how the applicator works.

But I see in the 6 piece he got, only 4 pieces are used for a wheel, but I'm curious how it would look with only 3 pieces used, spaced evenly of course... and cut to make either an arrow point or a sloped point like either <==== or an angle of rotation /=====/ .

I did add a little red reflective tape behind the FZ-07 under the rear seat that I think adds visual appeal while being reflective. It's too bad the FZ-07 itself isn't reflective.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8NSKb-z1hNkcXNwTG1aYjVmWHM&authuser=0

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

Archived