The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic Ti and Dobeck EJK 3.5 (Baffle out)

maxhfz

Hello all!

About to purchase my self the Dobeck EJK for the Akra. I recently took out the Baffle for a short, SHORT period of time and heard the sound of it. OH. MY.

It was beautiful. I did notice some pipe color changes, running lean and also loss of power due to no BP any more. So I popped it back in. Much easier than I have read. Getting it out only took a few wacks with a ruber mallet on a pair of large angeled pliars in an outward direction to get it out. No damage was done to the Baffle!

Anyways, after hearing it I have decided I must have that sound all the time!

Just one question.. Will adding the EJK bring back the power that I lost when I had the Baffle out? More fuel=more power in some cases right..?

Any help apreciated!

Ha... I love posts like this... Folks' reactions to hearing what the potential of the bike is for the fist time are priceless. Welcome to the board, by the way!

With the EJK, yes will will certainly get back more power. It'll feel a little different still in some parts of the rev range though, because of the way exhaust systems work. It'll technically have more higher end HP, but may lack some lower end torque. Mid range may vary a bit too based on how you fuel it. The EJK will get some of it back that you felt you lost taking that baffle out, but not ALL of it.  Again though, open that bad boy up and you won't worry too much about the little bit of low end you lost. :D

"More fuel = more power in SOME cases." -- Big bold underline on some...  If you run too rich you will lose some power and throttle response.  Mostly this will be felt via crappy throttle response when you roll on the throttle while cruising; it'll just feel like it doesn't want to go.  The idea is to get the right amount of air-to-fuel ratio (AFR).  Dobeck did a decent job testing some popular setups, and yours sounds like one of them.  I would start with their initial suggested settings and see what you think.  Odds are it's going to be pretty close.  If you know what you are doing, you can then adjust from there.  If not... We are here to help.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Ha... I love posts like this... Folks' reactions to hearing what the potential of the bike is for the fist time are priceless. Welcome to the board, by the way! 
With the EJK, yes will will certainly get back more power. It'll feel a little different still in some parts of the rev range though, because of the way exhaust systems work. It'll technically have more higher end HP, but may lack some lower end torque. Mid range may vary a bit too based on how you fuel it. The EJK will get some of it back that you felt you lost taking that baffle out, but not ALL of it.  Again though, open that bad boy up and you won't worry too much about the little bit of low end you lost. :D

"More fuel = more power in SOME cases." -- Big bold underline on some...  If you run too rich you will lose some power and throttle response.  Mostly this will be felt via crappy throttle response when you roll on the throttle while cruising; it'll just feel like it doesn't want to go.  The idea is to get the right amount of air-to-fuel ratio (AFR).  Dobeck did a decent job testing some popular setups, and yours sounds like one of them.  I would start with their initial suggested settings and see what you think.  Odds are it's going to be pretty close.  If you know what you are doing, you can then adjust from there.  If not... We are here to help.  

Thanks for the response!

I think I'll be making my order here in the next few weeks, hopefully they are working on a tune for the way I want it set up. It seems the have one for every other exhaust with the baffle out except mine ????

Thanks for the response!

I think I'll be making my order here in the next few weeks, hopefully they are working on a tune for the way I want it set up. It seems the have one for every other exhaust with the baffle out except mine ????
You bet!   
If they don't have a map for your exact setup, start with the map for the baffle in and then see how it feels.  Then you can either rent their SAFR gauge or tune it by feel... You'll probably only need to bump the yellow and red up a half to one full point.  If you go too far you should start to tell because you'll feel like you lost some acceleration power, then just bump it down a little to lean it back out.  

The good, and bad, thing about the EJK is that there really isn't that much FINE adjustment.  You won't really notice too much of a difference for any given setting bumped up or down a half point.  You just gotta get it close.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Thanks for the response!  
You bet!   
If they don't have a map for your exact setup, start with the map for the baffle in and then see how it feels.  Then you can either rent their SAFR gauge or tune it by feel... You'll probably only need to bump the yellow and red up a half to one full point.  If you go too far you should start to tell because you'll feel like you lost some acceleration power, then just bump it down a little to lean it back out.  

The good, and bad, thing about the EJK is that there really isn't that much FINE adjustment.  You won't really notice too much of a difference for any given setting bumped up or down a half point.  You just gotta get it close.  

Yeah, that's what I thought too about the zones. Judging by the other setups they have I've noticed they do only change it by a bit.

Thanks!

I'll let you guys know my results once the time comes!

Made a few adjustments to my EJK with awesome results. I do have my baffle out of my akra Ti and noticed that under heavy acceleration there was a significant loss of power. At first I thought my clutch was slipping or something because the bike wouldn't accelerate as hard as it used to with stock exhaust.

So I started with the settings dobeck provides on their website for the akra Ti and added fuel to the yellow and red zones which are acceleration and full throttle. The settings provided are 5 for the yellow and 2.5 for the red. I moved the yellow to 6 and the red to 4.

I'll have to mess around with it a little more but just from those changes the bike pulls a lot harder and idk if it's a just me but I did notice less backfiring and popping also.

I tried to base my adjustments off the differences of the graves exhaust with the baffle in and with the baffle out.

• Premium Member

I also have Akra Ti with EJK. I've been using base settings with 3.5 Full throttle fuel (red) and 5.5 Acceleration fuel (yellow). Like you I've been messing around to find the best. Seems like we're getting close. I wish I was closer to Dobeck so I could dyno it. I refuse to put my baffle back in, it just sounds too awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
I also have Akra Ti with EJK. I've been using base settings with 3.5 Full throttle fuel (red) and 5.5 Acceleration fuel (yellow). Like you I've been messing around to find the best. Seems like we're getting close. I wish I was closer to Dobeck so I could dyno it. I refuse to put my baffle back in, it just sounds too awesome.
Did you also follow the rest of the setup recommended on the Dobeck site? ie: Snorkel removed and 02 Sensor Disconnected. 

I'm just assuming that this is the air box snorkel..? haha

20150709_182052.png

• Premium Member
Did you also follow the rest of the setup recommended on the Dobeck site? ie: Snorkel removed and 02 Sensor Disconnected.  

Yep. Removed and disconnected.  

• 1 month later...

So I have received and installed the Dobeck EJK. It came pre programmed with the Akra Ti setting with the baffle in, so I ran it like that for a few days.

AND OH MY GOD THE POWAAAAAAHHHH!!!

It's a totally new bike!

So... since there is no setup for it with the baffle out, I took some everyone's advise and started with the Akra ti Base setting provided by Dobeck. I have so far added Half a point to the green zone and 1 FULL POINT to the Red and Yellow zones. And I like the way it feels.

It pulls hard in all RPMs and gears from no matter where. And the pipes are the color I want them to be around letting know it's getting a good amount of fuel..

The only thing is, is that my fuel economy has went down from about 49mpg to around 39-42.. still though not bad at all!

But now I'm contemplating puting the baffle back in so I can hear the air being sucked in from the snorkel being removed... which is just as satisfying of a sound btw.. haha

Guys please, if you have this setup let me know your settings and results!

I also have the Akrapovic Ti without baffle, snorkel removed and an EJK. I left the settings that the EJK came with and haven't changed them at all and my mpg stayed the same at about 58, and I ride my bike pretty hard most of the time.

I moved the yellow to 6 and the red to 4.

Just set my bike up the same as yours Yellow 6 and Red 4.. seems good.. have you adjusted any of the settings past the green, yellow and red?

I moved the yellow to 6 and the red to 4.
Just set my bike up the same as yours Yellow 6 and Red 4.. seems good.. have you adjusted any of the settings past the green, yellow and red?
Nah I havnt made any other adjustments yet. Seems like it could be a little bit better tho but I think the AFR tool from dobeck would be needed to get it perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone getting popping on sharp throttle cuts with the occasional fireball out of the pipe?

Running with snorkel removed, O2 disconnected and baffle out.

20150709_182052.png
To clarify, when we say snorkel removed, we actually removed that entire cover that the snorkel sits in. There is still a screw in the bottom of the stock filter to hold it in place. If you have an aftermarket filter, then the cover may need to stay in place as some of the aftermarket filters do not have the additional screw to hold the filter in.
The DNA filter has an additional filter cover you can purchase with the filter. This cover has a larger opening to improve the air flow compared to the stock filter cover.
d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone getting popping on sharp throttle cuts with the occasional fireball out of the pipe? 
Running with snorkel removed, O2 disconnected and baffle out.

Yeah, I get it sometimes. I don't know if it shoots a fire ball though because Im not looking.. I'll have to set the gopro up and check... lol

20150709_182052.png
To clarify, when we say snorkel removed, we actually removed that entire cover that the snorkel sits in. There is still a screw in the bottom of the stock filter to hold it in place. If you have an aftermarket filter, then the cover may need to stay in place as some of the aftermarket filters do not have the additional screw to hold the filter in.
The DNA filter has an additional filter cover you can purchase with the filter. This cover has a larger opening to improve the air flow compared to the stock filter cover.

Oh snap.. I'll have to take a look! Thanks! I just pulled out the rubber snorkel itself.....

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any updated settings or thoughts on the baffle being out? Im thinking of putting mine back in until someone besides me is able to get one set up properly.. :(

Also, does anyone have the optional CAT installed?

Anyone have any updated settings or thoughts on the baffle being out? Im thinking of putting mine back in until someone besides me is able to get one set up properly.. :( 
We have recommended keeping the baffle in from the start. It helps with back pressure which is helps build low end torque. Most riders are riding around in the mid range so having good performance there would be the most important in my opinion. Having the baffle out also seems to increase the likelihood of having decel pop. If you want the louder sound, then take the baffle out. If you like the way it sounds now, then leave the baffle in and use the recommended settings.

Pulling the baffle out will lean out the AFR (air/fuel ratio) especially at high RPMs. You will likely raise your first 3 fuel settings with the baffle removed. The red adjustment mode will likely be raised the most as this fguel zone relates to full throttle

I know at least one person on the forum has the optional CAT added to their set up. He is in Canada. I don't recall his username...
We can get you the CAT if you would like to add this. 

-TuningHQ

We have recommended keeping the baffle in from the start. It helps with back pressure which is helps build low end torque. Most riders are riding around in the mid range so having good performance there would be the most important in my opinion. Having the baffle out also seems to increase the likelihood of having decel pop. If you want the louder sound, then take the baffle out. If you like the way it sounds now, then leave the baffle in and use the recommended settings.  
Pulling the baffle out will lean out the AFR (air/fuel ratio) especially at high RPMs. You will likely raise your first 3 fuel settings with the baffle removed. The red adjustment mode will likely be raised the most as this fguel zone relates to full throttle

I know at least one person on the forum has the optional CAT added to their set up. He is in Canada. I don't recall his username...

-TuningHQ

Thanks for the info, I have tweaked the the Dobeck settings a tad in order to have it run good with out any decel pop. It runs good and doesn't seem starved for fuel in the top end. I also have the optional CAT installed already and was just thinking it may be better without it. I've been running with the baffle out for 4 or so months now and have had no issues! Still tweaking the settings though and always looking for any advice! Thanks!

-TuningHQ
Thanks for the info, I have tweaked the the Dobeck settings a tad in order to have it run good with out any decel pop. It runs good and doesn't seem starved for fuel in the top end. I also have the optional CAT installed already and was just thinking it may be better without it. I've been running with the baffle out for 4 or so months now and have had no issues! Still tweaking the settings though and always looking for any advice! Thanks!
The added CAT is probably helping with backpressure and decel pop. Glad to hear everything is working for you. We did not install the CAT on our test exhaust. Is the CAT before or after the O2 bung location? 

-TuningHQ

The added CAT is probably helping with backpressure and decel pop. Glad to hear everything is working for you. We did not install the CAT on our test exhaust. Is the CAT before or after the O2 bung location? 

-TuningHQ

The cat is just after it if going from the headers down. Right where the muffler meets the header pipes. As seen below in my horrible example.

Capture_2016-01-18-17-58-03.png

That is exactly what I was wanting to see. Thanks for the pic.

With the CAT installed after the O2 sensor, you could possibly use our SAFR diagnostic Tool on your bike to dial in your EJK.
The CAT will help keep fresh air from getting sucked back in the exhaust with the DB killer removed and reaching the O2 sensor skewing the AFR reading.

We rent the SAFR out for a week at a time. $20/week rental. $46 total includes round trip shipping and rental.
I would be happy to walk you through the tuning process with the SAFR and you could get some good settings for your specific set up.

$46 is cheaper than dyno time.

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

-TuningHQ

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update here, I fiddled with the Settings and I actually am now running the Graves Full exhaust system setting provided by Dobeck with the baffle out, stock air cleaner and snorkel removed and it's working wonders.. Give it a try peeps!

Archived