The MT-07 Forum

Fuses

squintyeyes

squintyeyes

Hello, was mounting my Motodynamics tail light when i blew the turn signal fuse. Anyone whos already changed some fuses have a suggested brand or something? This is my first time messing with any fuses or anything. I tried searching but no one talks about the specifics of fuses for our bikes. I know its a fairly simple part, but i just want to make sure i don't blow another one especially while riding because i picked some cheap amazon fuses. thanks for any help 

• Premium Member

Fuses are fuses....they are likely all made in some china back shop anyway. As long as you are replacing it with the same size/amp you should be okay. Although I don't claim to be an expert.

Pretty sure there's a spare or 2 in the box.

Don't recall what size those fuses are. There's a std size and a mini usually used in cars/bikes. The only difference is the physical size. They are frequently called blade fuses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

You can find these in any autoparts store. There's nothing at all special about them. Just make sure you use the proper rating - never use a higher rated fuse as a replacement. - if the original is 10A, you might be able to get by with 7.5A if you did not have a spare 10A. but it's risky to to to 15A in that case.

squintyeyes
Pretty sure there's a spare or 2 in the box.  
Don't recall what size those fuses are. There's a std size and a mini usually used in cars/bikes. The only difference is the physical size. They are frequently called blade fuses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

You can find these in any autoparts store. There's nothing at all special about them. Just make sure you use the proper rating - never use a higher rated fuse as a replacement. - if the original is 10A, you might be able to get by with 7.5A if you did not have a spare 10A. but it's risky to to to 15A in that case.
Thanks this is helpful, i would replace with a higher amp thinking i was out smarting the electrical lol 

Thanks this is helpful, i would replace with a higher amp thinking i was out smarting the electrical lol 
Speaking as an electrician, it's amazing how many amateurs don't understand the purpose of fuses. Some people are oblivious to the dangers they put themselves and their family through when they try to "outsmart the electrical". The purpose of fuses is to save your wires and components from too high current, eg preventing melting wires, fires etc. I've seen tin foil, nails, bolts and so on used instead of a proper fuse. And the fires and lack of insurance coverage as a result of it.

bmwpowere36m3

Just go to any auto-parts store, Walmart, Sears, etc.... they all will have the proper fuses. Not worth buying them on Amazon and waiting.

Fuses are fuses....they are likely all made in some china back shop anyway. As long as you are replacing it with the same size/amp you should be okay. Although I don't claim to be an expert.
Bingo!                           My fuses blew also, they are 10A. 

[attachment id=584" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

You guys should consider disconnecting the battery or at least pulling the "main" fuse(s) before doing electrical mods

Guest Ralph

We had one idiot in a car replace a fuse with a live .22 LR round,
didn't cook off but he could have had fun if he got a short as the
box was just above his lap.
Would have been a contender for the Darwin Awards if it had.

We had one idiot in a car replace a fuse with a live .22 LR round, didn't cook off but he could have had fun if he got a short as the
box was just above his lap.
Would have been a contender for the Darwin Awards if it had.
A .22 round fuse has a convenient Audiovisual Auto-alert function.

Archived