The MT-07 Forum

rattling/jingling sound from left side of bike

boardinthepark

boardinthepark

Hey there Guys, 

I bought an fz-07 as my first bike back in april up here in edmonton alberta canada. I have put about 3000km on the bike and have been hunting everywhere for the cause of a rattle/jingle on my bike.  It is on the left side of my bike and it sounds like someone is rattling a pile of change in there pocket and when riding near a barrier or wall my buddy on the bike behind me can hear it as well.   I have taken apart and put back together everything that I can find and I have tightened everything else.  The shift arm washer is something I had read about online and there is not a rubber washer behind it to prevent any rattling.  I have tested pulling in the clutch while hearing it and it continues without the drive train.  Revving the engine does not cause it to appear and it seems to be due to wind while riding.  I am going crazy and have run out of ideas!!! Thanks
J

boardinthepark

thanks I will give some of those a try.  if anyone has any other ideas or updates let me know

bmwpowere36m3

Mine has a similar "rattle" from the front-end at specific RPM and more pronounced on decel. It's definitely not valve noise.... Today I was looking over my front fender and the socket head bolt holding brake line clamp to the rear of the fender was really loose (could loosen by hand, with my hands, no tools).

We'll see if that was it.

• Premium Member

I just picked up my bike today, brand new with 1km on it and it does the exact same thing. I just assumed it is the chain.

It is almost certainly just chain noise. I noticed it too. You really hear it with the super quiet stock exhaust. Fixed it by putting the Yoshimura system on :D

• Premium Member

Sounds like keys draggin on the ground? If so, mine does the same thing. Mine and by buddies sound exactly the same. We both bought the bikes within a week of each other and both sound the same. Bag of change or keys on the ground. ...Overall, ive just got use to it and accepted it as normal. You can really hear it better when drive by a wall or parked cars.

• Premium Member
It is almost certainly just chain noise. I noticed it too. You really hear it with the super quiet stock exhaust. Fixed it by putting the Yoshimura system on :D
I agree. 
I'm getting some new chain lube as suggested by another rider here. But its nothing to be concerned about IMO.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motul-racing-chain-lube

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
i use motul chain lube and cleaner, it obliterates the dirt.
I also use Motul lube/cleaner and am extremely happy with the results. 

• 2 weeks later...

Get your chain tension checked regularly. As the bikes wear in the chains stretch a lot and get a little saggy. If you can kick the chain up on the bottom and get the floppy feeling, you need it looked at.

• Premium Member

Found a claim on Youtube just now that a guy has solved the mystery.

[video src=https://youtu.be/nhxPl7bfgis]

Apparently a retaining ring that holds the bulb in the headlight socket. It is free floating, not springy enough once it clears the shoulder that prevents it and the bulb from exiting.

He claimed a test without the bulb and retainer eliminated the rattle.

I haven't tried it yet myself but hope this is it since it seems to be an easy fix compared to others.

And I am still in the "It is not chain noise" category.

It sounds more like a tea kettle on the boil than chain noise.

I suspect that many of those who believe it is chain noise, simply do not have the rattle and hear the chain noise on their bikes, and think this is what the rest of us are talking about.

This rattle is clearly something loose that goes crazy when it finds a sympathetic vibration and it is quite loud and irregular. It is not the chain.

If I find a rare day when I am not working, not exhausted, and not feeling lazy, I will attempt to confirm this, and post my results in a solved thread, unless somebody can beat me too it, which wouldn't be very hard.

Databyter

Databyter

i use motul chain lube and cleaner, it obliterates the dirt.

Kerosene is cheaper. I pour a couple cups into a sealable container that I can dip my grunge brush into, and it can get used several times before it gets too dirty to use.

Found a claim on Youtube just now that a guy has solved the mystery. 
[video src=https://youtu.be/nhxPl7bfgis]

Apparently a retaining ring that holds the bulb in the headlight socket. It is free floating, not springy enough once it clears the shoulder that prevents it and the bulb from exiting.

He claimed a test without the bulb and retainer eliminated the rattle.

I haven't tried it yet myself but hope this is it since it seems to be an easy fix compared to others.

And I am still in the "It is not chain noise" category.

It sounds more like a tea kettle on the boil than chain noise.

I suspect that many of those who believe it is chain noise, simply do not have the rattle and hear the chain noise on their bikes, and think this is what the rest of us are talking about.

This rattle is clearly something loose that goes crazy when it finds a sympathetic vibration and it is quite loud and irregular. It is not the chain.

If I find a rare day when I am not working, not exhausted, and not feeling lazy, I will attempt to confirm this, and post my results in a solved thread, unless somebody can beat me too it, which wouldn't be very hard.

Databyter

I don't put much belief in this since the sound comes from lower left hand side of the bike near the engine/casing

• Premium Member

The sound everyone hears is not the retaining ring on the headlight. Sure, if its loose it may rattle although your headlight bulb would indeed back out and you would immediately know when you went smashing over a bump.

This noise irritated me for a bit. After throwing the bike on the rear stand and running it to find out. Guess what.....it was the chain. It is louder when you don't have it properly lubed (much like many things we deal with).

I just went for a 20 minute ride last night and when I got back I lubed the chain real well. Let it sit overnight like that and the chain sound is still just as loud as before. It sounds like a mountain bike (bicycle) at low speeds. At high speed it's like a swarm of cicadas or something. Really annoying and slightly embarrassing too.

• Premium Member
The sound everyone hears is not the retaining ring on the headlight. Sure, if its loose it may rattle although your headlight bulb would indeed back out and you would immediately know when you went smashing over a bump.  
This noise irritated me for a bit. After throwing the bike on the rear stand and running it to find out. Guess what.....it was the chain. It is louder when you don't have it properly lubed (much like many things we deal with).
Same here - put it on the stand to find the source. Cleaned and lubed the chain & sprocket, then put it back on the stand to see the difference. It is only about half as loud now, and not noticeable at the lower speeds that it was before - definitely a big improvement.

Archived