The MT-07 Forum

Hard shifting?

yamahappy74

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I rode in to work today and noticed that shifting seems to be harder than I remember. I haven't been on it for a week and a half, but I don't remember it being this clunky. I've got fewer than 300 miles on the bike. Could it just be time for an oil change?

• Premium Member

I'd have to say mine seemed a little stiff until after my first oil change also.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

bmwpowere36m3

Yup, I'm on my second oil change at 350 miles. That's pretty much when I know it's time for an oil change on most of my bikes, once the shifting gets notchy or hard... new oil = better shifting = happy owner.

Yup, I'm on my second oil change at 350 miles. That's pretty much when I know it's time for an oil change on most of my bikes, once the shifting gets notchy or hard... new oil = better shifting = happy owner.
Very true. Quite noticeable on these bikes. Mine got very notchy at 3000 kms with a good 10/40. Went to a 15/40 on the last service. I've heard 10/40 is not the best shear resistant weight. Transmission/clutch would also be a contributing factor for oil degradation.

bmwpowere36m3
Very true. Quite noticeable on these bikes. Mine got very notchy at 3000 kms with a good 10/40. Went to a 15/40 on the last service. I've heard 10/40 is not the best shear resistant weight. Transmission/clutch would also be a contributing factor for oil degradation.

I should have noted, on all my bikes which share engine, transmission, gearbox oil. On engines with seperate oil volumes you could have much longer life. Synthetic oil also helps, but I'm waiting till I'm at 1k+ miles to switch.

• 1 year later...
Guest 2wheeler

Hey Everybody, I was looking for a thread on this, and wanted to revive this one.

I have about 3000 miles on my bike, and have been running either semi-synthetic or synthetic for half of that. I just switched to Motul 7100 in 10w-40w. What has been going on is that in the first three gears (from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd), the shifts have been hard/clunky. When I say hard, it isn't hard to shift it, but it has a pronounced clicking/clunking sound. This is especially noticable at lower rpms. I have never rode another FZ-07, so I don't know if this is normal or not. This isn't really noticable between the upper gears. It's a fresh oil change, so that's not it, plus it did it with the last oil too. In older bikes that I have had, this would be normal, but I sorta thought that with a new/modern bike that the shifts would not be so clunky.

Any thoughts?

• Premium Member

I change my oil every 2800-3000 miles...yes the shift gets a tad clunkier when the oil is getting near it's change time...sometimes I change it earlier if I have a long ride coming up in a few days before...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

I am on my 3rd oil change, 10-40 full synthetic and I find my bike also clunky fresh oil or not. It seems worse on downshift and rev matching seems to help or does it just cover the noise of the clunk? some days it seems worse than others and is always worse when I am tired. I have just come to accept it as one of the characteristics of the bike but overall it is a awesome bike!

I've noticed that all my Yamaha's have clunked like that so I pay no attention to it. Some clunks are louder than others and they've never hurt anything on any of my Yamaha's. Embrace the clunk.

Beemer

Archived