The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura Exhaust problem

kevin8nine

Hello, I installed the Yoshimura Exhaust on my FZ-07 and for the first 200 miles or so I LOVED it. It was loud and obnoxious like a Harley Davidson. When I would come into my apartment complex at night I had to try to coast as much as possible to not piss off my neighbors. Now, I noticed a few days ago that my exhaust is only maybe half as loud as it used to be. I have no problem ever being too loud, and when I went to my parents place for dinner they also noticed it is not as loud as it used to be. It is a very noticeable difference. 

What could be causing this? I almost want to take the muffler off and see if there is something clogging it. 

Any ideas?

additional info:
Bike is three months old and has 1200 miles. 
Did 600 mile service.
Exhaust was installed at 900 mile mark. 

How do I get back my obnoxious exhaust?

PearlWhiteFZ

Wish I could help, but I am waiting on my yoshimura exhaust to come in. Best bet is to call yoshimura themselves and tell them your situation to see what they say. Good luck and hope it gets solved.

• Premium Member

Maybe it was so loud it halved your noise level tolerance :P, or someone cut the loud wire out of the exhaust.

Being real, probably the packing inside got bad? is it with baffle in or out? EJK?

• Premium Member

Running on 1 cylinder???

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

When you first get an exhaust, especially from Yosh, the packing is very tight inside the muffler. It will loosen up some within the first 100 to 1,000 miles. When the packing loosens, it dampens the sound more.

ben

Speaking of obnoxious, I notice that since I put the Yoshimura system on my bike that everyone in a car gives me a huge berth when they follow behind. Most switch lanes if they can. Safety feature? :D

You and everyone around you became slightly deaf from the exhaust. Or you are all wearing earplugs and don't know it.or someone installed a baffle for you.

Some helpful info: probably the muffler packing is getting broken in

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

Guest Ralph

You have gone deaf like many of the poor sods you ride passed.
If anything exhausts get a little louder as any packing settles
in and the pipework gets smoothed out a little by the scouring
effect of the gasses.

When you first get an exhaust, especially from Yosh, the packing is very tight inside the muffler. It will loosen up some within the first 100 to 1,000 miles. When the packing loosens, it dampens the sound more. 
ben

This sounds the most logical to me. i hope over the next few thousand miles it gets really loud again. For the time being I will have mercy on my neighbors and vehicles behind me. Haha. Thanks for all the responses guys.

What a great website that I got so many responses.

I am in San Diego btw. Maybe we can have a fz-07 meet in socal sometime

Wish I could help, but I am waiting on my yoshimura exhaust to come in. Best bet is to call yoshimura themselves and tell them your situation to see what they say. Good luck and hope it gets solved.

Since you are about to do the same as I did, maybe you could come back to this site in a month or two and let me know if you experienced the same thing.

-thanks for your help anyways
-Kevin

Archived