The MT-07 Forum

How's Your Posture?

ornery

I had these bar backs from Twisted Throttle left over from a previous bike. They fit and work perfectly. Much better on the back and neck. I highly recommend them. I only had to carefully trim the rubber grommits behind the head light assembly so that the brake cable could slide through the grommit freely.

modmaster

IMG_2108_zpsh8xq806x.jpg~originalIMG_2200_zpskkanya9y.jpg~original

• Premium Member
I had these bar backs from Twisted Throttle left over from a previous bike. They fit and work perfectly. Much better on the back and neck. I highly recommend them. I only had to carefully trim the rubber grommits behind the head light assembly so that the brake cable could slide through the grommit freely. 
modmaster

Linky please? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
One of the reasons I opted for the FZ-07 was the upright riding position. I now find myself riding 90% of the time with my left hand in my lap and... slouching! When I catch myself slouching, I straighten up for about a minute, then unconsciously begin to slouch again.  Terrible habit! I don't think I'll be able to break it.  I slouch at my desk at work, too.  The way I ride makes me think I ought to just move on to a cruiser.  I do appreciate the nimbleness of this "standard" bike, and if I'm seated correctly, there's no doubt I'd be better prepared for, and able to execute an evasive maneuver.  But, I rarely sit right, so why fight it?
I wonder if I can bring the bars a little closer, and if that would even help my situation?
"Upright" is not always the ideal posture regardless if you own an upright posture bike or not.

And you can't compare moto posture to standing or sitting at a table because you are holding on to handlebars and your weight is not static (you are bouncing and vibrating).

You MIGHT be slouching, or you might have acceptable leaning bais for all the factors above.

I lean forward and "slouch" a bit but it is not a lazy slouch, it is a balanced dynamic slouch that puts some weight on my handlebars, provides a better center of gravity and wind protection, and allows my spine mechanics more flexibility and suspension over bumps and ruts.

Sitting upright like Mr. Chips might actually be BAD posture depending on what you are doing, and road conditions/speed etc. In fact your spine can be damaged over time by going over hard bumps at speed with a straight vertical column.

This is one of my complaints with cruisers. All your weight is vertically suspended over your rear wheel and it's much harder to stand on a peg or reduce weight on the seat while going over bumps.

On our machines we can and SHOULD move around, lean forward or back, and even partially stand as and when needed

Food for thought.

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
"Upright" is not always the ideal posture regardless if you own an upright posture bike or not. 

Sitting upright like Mr. Chips might actually be BAD posture depending on what you are doing, and road conditions/speed etc. In fact your spine can be damaged over time by going over hard bumps at speed with a straight vertical column.

Food for thought.

Databyter
I am almost 60, been riding for about 50 years, desert, motocross, trail and street. Riding the FZ-07 stock for 1-2 hours I have no problem. I found that extending the time in that slight bent over position was causing me pain. A two day getaway truly caught up to me. This is why I added a handlebar riser and now I am much more comfortable. As a kid, the second thing I learned to do was to standup at least slightly for dips, bumps, whoops, dead snakes whatever and use your legs as shocks. The first thing I learned was that if you grab a handful of front brake going downhill you will go over the bars and land on your head.
Everyone likes different styles and depending on your age you may find bent over GP style is best left to younger folks.
Signed,Mr. Chips

Food for thought.

Databyter
I am almost 60, been riding for about 50 years, desert, motocross, trail and street. Riding the FZ-07 stock for 1-2 hours I have no problem. I found that extending the time in that slight bent over position was causing me pain. A two day getaway truly caught up to me. This is why I added a handlebar riser and now I am much more comfortable. As a kid, the second thing I learned to do was to standup at least slightly for dips, bumps, whoops, dead snakes whatever and use your legs as shocks. The first thing I learned was that if you grab a handful of front brake going downhill you will go over the bars and land on your head.
Everyone likes different styles and depending on your age you may find bent over GP style is best left to younger folks.
Signed,Mr. Chips

databyter You're not alone on that. 
I am 55 and have found that being 55 is the cause of most of my aches and pains. I am going to ache no matter wth I do. I used to be able to ride from Ft. Hood, Tx. to Dayton, Oh. in 24 hours and shake it off but now if I go 4 hours I'm limping for a cold beer and an Advil. He's just saying it's 'safer', not more comfortable to ride with a slouch. 

All my love ladies,

Poncharelli

Beemer

Archived