The MT-07 Forum

Dynojet PCV review

thomascrown

thomascrown

I don't think anyone has made one of these yet, so I may as well. 

I've ran the bike 6k completely stock, 6k with a Graves exhaust, and maybe 500 miles with a PCV + snorkel removed + Graves exhaust.

The difference is substantial.  

Pros:
1.  Substantially decreased popping on decel.  Never really cared about the popping, but I know some people do.  

2.  Engine braking is reduced significantly.  This is actually nice in a variety of ways.  If you're on the freeway and let your hand off the throttle to scratch your ass, the engine braking doesn't emulate hitting a brick wall.  Also, when cruising lazily, and taking time with your shifts, the engine braking doesn't pull the rpms down so much that you get driveline shock when reengaging the clutch.  Makes for smoother "cruising". Downshifting is also easier, since it's easier to keep the revs where you need them for the gear down.  

3.  Power.  More power everywhere.  Way more power. In retrospect, I should have never run the Graves exhaust without a tune.  I absolutely believe now that it is incomplete, and was designed with a tune in mind.  The default Graves map on the PCV site was tuned by Chuck Graves himself, the dude who tunes the AMA R1s.  Run it, it's actually perfect out of the box.  

4.  Response.  The engine is much quicker to rev from throttle input.  

5.  It's much smoother, and gives a more oem feel to the fueling.  There were a lot of rough edges, and flat spots when running exhaust only.  

6. The low rpm snatch when cracking the throttle slightly open in 1st and 2nd gear has been diminished significantly.  About 80 percent gone.

Cons:
1.  Wiring is more "rat's nesty" around the injectors/throttle body.  Makes throttle body syncs a bit more difficult unless you have smurf hands.  
2.  MPGs have since gone down a good bit.  I haven't measured exactly, but the fuel gauge depletes a whole lot quicker than it used to.  

That's about all I have.  I'll update once I install the quickshifter.  

thomascrown

I don't want to open up a can of worms, but...

1. I prefer the digital interface of the PCV, over the analog EJK.  
2. Also, you can mess with fueling on a more localized level; in 250rpm increments, and specific throttle percentages.  I prefer that to the more nebulous "zones" of tuning for EJK.  
3. PCV has timing control.  If you look at the timing at 100 percent throttle, you'll see there's a 4 degree advance across the board.  That's guaranteed additional power over fuel-only tuners.

pcvfuel.png

pcvtiming.png

4. Quickshifter. Once you have pcv, a quickshifter is a 200 dollar addition.
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFXAebh7kEU]

thomascrown

Also, YMMV based on whatever exhaust and tune you use for the PCV. I only know this is the case with the Graves exhaust, no db killer, snorkel delete, PCV + graves tune.

Very good info.

Alot of what you said is over my head but what i take away from this is that the PCV allows you to better fine tune your...tune. :)

I'd be really interested in some MPG numbers since they are never discussed after going with a fuel adjuster. The dash MPG is probably off so these numbers could be obtained by running the bike to almost empty, filling up full while saving gas receipt, recording mileage at fill up, running bike until empty again and recording mileage at empty. Get mileage driven since last fill up and divide that by the number of gallons you put in at last fill up. New MPG

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Global Moderator

You do not need to run it to almost empty to get an accurate mpg, you just need to top it off each time you fill up.

• Premium Member

Glad your liking the PCV! I posted up a big review a while back, and have found the same results...

Although, my tune still has some strong engine braking, which were gonna tune out a little the next time I'm on the dyno.

- Paulie

thomascrown

So I used the gas station method (can't rely on the dash for mpgs...too inaccurate) to calculate mpgs when I was completely stock. I was at 54mpg back then.

Just did it again with all the current mods, and I got....53mpg. Guess I'm just riding more, and making gasoline disappear quicker.

Thomas,

That's some great stuff. Thanks for sharing the screen shots, etc. to help others see what using the PCV is really like. I've said it once and I'll say it again... Even though the PCV and the EJK are both tools to alter the stock fueling of the bike, they are really not in the same category. They have some similarities, but they have even more differences. It's like comparing a MacBook Pro against a Chromebook.

I'm not one of those types of guys that buys something and then defends it being the best to the death as if my reputation is on the line. I own and decided to use the EJK for a multitude of reasons, most of which were cost savings and simplicity. That said, the PCV is an absolutely amazing product and if you want the most of of the bike, the PCV is the way to go over the EJK.

If I ever decide I want to run this bike on the track, the first thing I would do is the suspension (which I'm probably gonna do eventually regardless) and the next thing I'll do is swap in the PCV in place of the EJK for sure. That Graves exhaust has had my eye for a bit too. I love the M4 slip-on, but I think once the options for full exhaust systems sift out the great choices I'll end up bolting some new pipes on there as well.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Archived