The MT-07 Forum

Installed DNA Filter and Stage 2 Intake Lid

captainbeard714

captainbeard714

So... Another box of parts I installed yesterday was the DNA filter and DNA airbox lid.  I also ordered the service kit from DNA.  A little pricey and has to come all the way from Greece, but Im extremely pleased with everything.  All parts and packaging are of superior quality and they give you good documentation and even some really nice stickers and cool keychains lol.  Install of these two things was a breeze.  

The only thing that made me scratch my head was the picture of the stock intake in the directions and some online show the snorkel with some big metal round thing attached and a rubber hose.  Mine didnt look like that.  The stock lid was simply just the snorkel.  Maybe this is something to do with me being in california??

Anyways, I installed a new map on the Power Commander V and Im loving the results.  Definitely seems a little more responsive, but on this tune Im still having a little bit of deceleration popping.  So... Im still planning on taking it to get dyno tuned and get a custom map to unlock full potential hopefully.  

Heres a picture of the included directions showing what im talking about.
IMG_7523.jpg

Picture of my stock intake.
IMG_7508.jpg

And the new lid and filter  :D
IMG_7514.jpg

HA!

The best part about that...the instructions that say "use common sense when torquing the bolts".

Epic. :)

Very cool parts! Any concerns about water getting in there without the snorkel?

captainbeard714
HA! 
The best part about that...the instructions that say "use common sense when torquing the bolts".

Epic. :)

Very cool parts! Any concerns about water getting in there without the snorkel?
Yah lol.  And yes.  A little concerned about water getting in there but I dont think its that big of a deal.  Its pretty sheltered in there still and I live in southern california, but Im going to keep it in mind when doing longer rides up north if I get caught in heavy rain.  Also, when I wash it Im gonna make sure its covered, just like when I wash my dirt bike.  

Guest Ralph

The pic of the top with the vacuum actuator is the same as fitted to my UK bike
it opens at certain revs to allow more air and closes when it needs to be
quiet for the noise regs.

Over in Europe (where the FZ-07 is called the MT-07), they use that vacuum-operated diaphragm on the airbox inlet.
It probably operates a little trap door that closes-off part of the intake under certain loads to reduce intake noise.
The Yamaha WR250R and WR250X sold in the USA use this, too.
Edit:As above.

• Premium Member

It's interesting they are that concerned with intake noise in Europe. I mean, you can definitely hear it with the snorkel off, but I didn't think it was loud enough to affect passenger cars.

Everything went braap.

• 8 months later...

Yeah, I'm in france and they are really getting crazy about noise and pollution, it's getting ridiculous!

BTW, I'd like to instal a DNA stage 2 but I'm concerned about the injection... No money for a Power Commander and a Dyno run but I'll have a SC Project AFM (similar to a Memjet) soon. Do you guys think it could take care of the too lean mixture caused by the air box cover or not???

Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

in Brazil , the mt07 comes with this piece of metal with an attached hose.
What does it? I can simply remove and install the stage 2 of the DNA ?

• 1 year later...
Just bought my stage 2 setup. Got it from a Houston Italian motorcycles for $174.90 Shipped.

Edit 7/20/17

I was going to get the DNA setup but I asked the guys over at 2WDW if it had any advantage over the K&N filter. They said no so I bought a $35 K&N instead.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

I had the DNA filter + lid for 18 months or so and never had issues with it either under rain use or after washing the bike so water should not be a problem at all.

I switched to MWR filter + lid i got from @bellissimoto cause I'm crazy and wanted to experiment (already tested with K&N + DNA lid) something "better" as MWR is pretty well know in the racing world. I do have a PCV + autotune so wasnt too worried about getting Dark-Y into a dyno and I do think the MWR combo is the best I had tried so far. I cannot say I felt a difference is power (maybe just a little) but it do feels more smooth and can definately "hear" the difference in "air flow".

Both MWR lid & filter are lighter than DNA ones so if you are paranoic about weight reduction you will drop a few onces moving to MWR not to say MWR combo is cheaper also.

Drive safe!

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

Archived