The MT-07 Forum

Comfortable sunglasses while riding?

roadrunner

The one piece on gear I didn't get at the dealership were sunglasses. I found these on motorcycle superstore: Foamerz II

[div]They seem pretty good and have great reviews. Before I buy, I was wondering if there's any other pair you guys might recommend. Preferably for weather conditions similar to SoCal. Please let me know, thanks!

My helmet does not have the sunvisor. Apparently they can't get Snell approval with integrated sunvisors, so I skipped the sunvisor for the Snell approval.[/div]

Why not buy a darker visor? I use a dark smoke visor and I never need to use sunglasses even going straight into the sunset. Most brands of helmets sell them

• Premium Member

I bought a dark smoke visor, and I carry the clear one in my backpack in the off chance I am out riding and the sun goes down

bmwpowere36m3

My Shoei RF-1000 came with a clear faceshield, so I was wearing my Oakley sunglasses on sunny days… It was okay. I finally decided to buy a darker faceshield, went with an iridium…. Couldn't be happier. I can pretty much wear it all the time, sunrise and sunset. I've done a bunch of night rides with it as well, but it gets a little dark/dicey if there are no street lights.

DSC_4372.jpg

• Premium Member

I went with a darker visor on my hjc helmet, way better than trying to cram sunglasses on too

• Premium Member

If you can find a "Trsnsitions" shield for your helmet, they are fantastic. They adapt to UV and change so fast that you don't ever really notice the need for sun glasses.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

I vote for you buying a tinted shield, glasses are a pain in the A

• Premium Member

For now I have Oakley GASCAN for me its easier to carry sunglasses than a shield and the price of a transition shield is out of budget for now but I want one.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

@love2gro when I had my bike before I did get the extra faceshield, but I never carried them around cause I was scared of accidentally breaking in, in my backpack for example. Plus if I had to switch I'd have to take the helmet off. Sunglasses just seem faster and more convenient. But using my regular sunglasses is uncomfortable. I noticed they make glasses specifically for using under the helmet, so i m just wondering if there's any you guys recommend.

@rowdy as for transitions, I might do that later(if they make one for the scorpion exo-410). But theyre pretty expensive, for now I'll use sunglasses

I tried some on at the dealership, but the ones I really liked they didn't have in tinted. But they were extremely comfortable and easy to put on and take off. Also had foam around the eyes. So nobody here uses sunglasses!?!?? lol

Except for you Oakley guys, but are those intended for helmet use or you just happen to have them already? They're pretty damn expensive too lol

I've tried on some of those Foamer's and didn't like how they blocked my peripheral vision. When I bought my FZ I bought the sun glasses on the left which offer amazing clarity and color correction in the daytime but they tended to block my peripheral vision as well so I bought the pair sitting next to them and they work well, the frame doesn't block any of my vision. I have a sun visor in my helmet which really helps a lot along with the sun glasses when the sun is low and too bright. I don't wear my sun glasses at night either, that would be like using a tinted shield and that don't cut it. I have tried yellow tinted sport glasses at night when riding with my shield up and those worked ok, barely affected anything.

[attachment id=496" thumbnail="1]    [attachment id=497" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• Premium Member

I wear glasses so I have to go with a tinted visor. The Icon Airmada accommodates this pretty well, much better than the old HJC I had.

Everything went braap.

I wear glasses so I have to go with a tinted visor. The Icon Airmada accommodates this pretty well, much better than the old HJC I had.
Do they make clip-on's for your prescription glasses? If so you could block out more light if you wanted to on those really blinding bright days. 
I just found these that someone may like, the lenses are interchangeable. 

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/45168/i/bikemaster-wind-shield-complete-sunglasses?WT.ac=SLIsearch

These (clear) looked nice for night time use: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/19184/i/bobster-shield-ii-sunglasses?SiteId=Criteo_ActiveMinus_0-18&WT.mc_ID=11325

Beemer

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Most cheap "Pilot" sunglasses are light weight, thin framed, large lensed, and fairly flexible. Always my choice. As for dark shields, I have neither interest nor time for changing shields while riding since lighting conditions (weather) can change quickly and often where I live and my old eyes need light right now when it starts to darken.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using two different pair of Oakley Radar Lock sunglasses (the first pair were a donation to Arches National park when I stupidly left them under my wind screen and they fell off somewhere around Delicate Arch).  They're great at blocking the wind, and fit inside the sunglass groves in my Shoei RF-1200 with no fuss.  My first pair were non-vented, but they tended to fog up a bit if the glasses were pushed completely snug against my face. Second pair has vented lenses which never fog, but allow a bit more air flow to reach my eyes.  I did a 2800 mile road trip with both pair, and they were great, visor up or down.

The lenses are totally swappable, come in 3 shapes and a ton of tints and finishes with vented/non-vented versions.  Almost every piece of the frame is customizable, so you can build a pair that suits your style.  The Oakley Radar sunglasses are very similar and a bit less expensive.

Radar Lock http://www.oakley.com/en/custom/sunglasses/sport-sunglasses/custom-radarlock/custom-product/OCP-9181
Radar http://www.oakley.com/en/custom/sunglasses/sport-sunglasses/custom-radar/custom-product/OCP-9051

oakley-radarlock-edge-polished-white-violet-iridium-vented-vr28-vented-oo9183-06_800_600_z1.jpg

Archived