The MT-07 Forum

Ear buds

rweakley

Does anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive set of ear buds (noise isolating required) that won't fall out as I slip on my helmet?
I got a cheap pair of OEM Samsung ones (like the free ones w/ galaxy phones) that will stay in my ear, but not seal and block noise. I tried the Comply tips but can't get them to work either. I also have a great set of Klipsch buds that seal and block noise exceptionally well. However the shape of these catches on the helmet as I slide it on and knocks them loose.
Right now I just use ear plugs every day, which preserves my hearing but kinda sucks. What about those speakers you install in the helmet? Can you hear those through ear plugs and the wind noise?
Thanks.

bmwpowere36m3

I use a pair of MEElectronics Sport-FI M6 in-ear phones... the cable goes over/around your ear which is typical of other in-ear phones I've had (Shure, Yuin, Head-Fi).  At first it took additional effort/tries to put my helmet [tight-fitting Shoei] on without the cable slipping off my ear.  Now I can put them on no problem.  I also experimented with custom molding them [M6 ear phones] to my ear with a Radians ear plug kit (search google for DIY ear phone molding).  However the noise [more so wind] isolation was worse than with the silicone triple flange tips.
The best isolation I've found is from just plain 'ole foam ear plugs.  Ideally I'd want an in-ear phone that's custom molded to my outer ear (tight fit, no pressure/discomfort/pain on outer ear from helmet pressing the hard plastic ear phone housing) and has a foamy tip to provide great isolation.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

If you're somewhat handy and really cheap, you can try my homebrew earbuds for motorcycling...

Get an exacto knife and some foam earplugs from lowes. Cut the earplugs so that they're the same length as the earbuds foam. Then put a hole in the center. Use those instead of the foam things that came with your buds.

Its a fiddly-pain-in-the-arse to do, but they transform your earbuds into comfortable, sweat-resistant, and noise-reducing earbuds. You simply pinch the foam, cram 'em in your ear, and wait for them to expand before putting your helmet on.

They're so quiet you can listen to music at 100mph without a helmet on.

-HowWorkClutch

bmwpowere36m3
Check these guys out. They are what I use, inexpensive and decent sound blocking. Its essentially what he makes ^^ but you can buy them. They used to be cheaper, but they look like higher quality than they used to be. 
https://www.plugfones.com/hearing-protection/motorcycle-earplugs/
Oh man… that's the ticket!  Just bought a pair, can't wait to try them.  The only thing that bothers me is the wire coming straight out the foamy, but we'll see how well they hold up.

bmwpowere36m3
I hope you got the rubber ones. They seem to hold up better.

I got the newer version (contractor), comes with silicone and foam tips. I'm hoping to use the foam ones for better isolation. I know foamies generally needs to be replaced every so often as they get dirty and hard.

Those plugfones look interesting. I think those will be my next try. I need some tunes but the wind noise is unbearable. This may be the perfect solution. I have a Bell Vortex by the way.

@Howworkclutch, how often do you do this. Foamies don't last all that long. I have a steady supply of them at work, but seems like a lot to go through regularly

Archived