The MT-07 Forum

Help!!!! O2 size and pitch

bigity

I'll save you all the rant and give you the tldr version.

Bought termignoni.
Open boxed.
Smile big.
Test fit.
Crazy frustrated that a pipe hole is oblong.
2.5 hours later it fits "well-enough"
Last step: O2 sensor.
Won't. Thread. In!!!!!!

Yes, I used to be an auto tech, so I was doing it right. :)

It looks like the first thread on the O2 bung in the pipe is not cut right, sensor wouldn't screw in, so I didn't force it. I need to run a tap through the hole, but don't know the thread size to buy.

Anyone know the o2 thread size and pitch?

bmwpowere36m3

I don't know off hand, but can't you measure the diameter of the O2 sensor and then match the pitch to the tap.
[strong]*edit*[/strong] "oblong pipe hole," what's that about?

I don't know off hand, but can't you measure the diameter of the O2 sensor and then match the pitch to the tap. [strong]*edit*[/strong] "oblong pipe hole," what's that about?

Yeah, I was hoping to not have to take off the sensor. I've already wasted too much time in this install ;)

For some reason, I can't figure out, they made a three piece header. Two head pipes and a collecter. I don't understand the benefit, except maybe it's cheaper to make? One head pipe fits in the collector with a slight interference, like it should. The other head pipe opening on the collecter had a slight oblong opening, as it has been pinch at some point. Makes it crazy difficult to manipulate the four parts and get everything lined up as you have to mount everything loose on the bike before tightening anything down. But the pinch side interferes with that

In case anyone is curious or searches in the future. It's 12mmx1.25.

Ran the tap through and it all worked. Disappointing production quality.

I was surprised to see your problems as I had none. My 02 screwed in with my fingers. I pieced everything together off the bike just to get a sense of how it should fit and that helped with getting everything to fit. I believe the 2 piece header and collector exists because you can buy a cat for it which I assume will replace the collector portion.

@partysub
Yeah man. I was super bummed. Dunno if I was just unlucky. I tried test fitting it off the bike as well. Head pipe [HASH]1 would not insert into the collector unless I turned it 90 degrees from its installed position. So I had to insert it off the bike, in its incorrect position and muscle it into the correct position so the oval pipe would open up a little bit.

I was kinda blown away that this had to happen....

And yeah, the o2 sensor threads in and out of my stock and yoshi exhuast by hand. Once I ran the tap through, it did by hand on the termignoni, but not until then...

Good point about the three-piece/catalytic convertor.

And I will say, now that the unlucky headache install is over I'm beyond happy with it.

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, some bike aftermarket is where car aftermarket was... half a century ago!!! And, it isn't like most of the crap-built stuff is cheap. If we returned all the faulty stuff instead of "making do" I suspect this would change, and in pretty short order.

Archived