The MT-07 Forum

clutch drag

modmaster

Has anyone else noticed how much drag there is on our clutch. When I put the bike in first gear from neutral the bike really jumps forward with quite a lurch. Also I noticed it shifts pretty stiffly up and down but more so down shifting. At first when it was new I dismissed this as just needing breaking in but I now have 1000 miles on it and it is no better. The clutch freeplay is adjusted with plenty of clearance so I don't see why it is like that. Even after I ride it for a while and it is fully warmed up, it is no better. Anyone else notice this?

modmasterIMG_2201_zpsdxntvmrq.jpg~original

Guest Ralph

Mine to and the demo bike both go into gear with a clunk no jumping forward but a slightly
louder clunk than I like, the more free play you have the bigger the clunk as you are not lifting
the clutch as far so if you have a lot of free play try taking a bit of it out.

bmwpowere36m3

Too much clutch lever freeplay and the clutch won't fully disengage. When the motor/oil is cold a lurch when shifting into first is normal. When warmed up a small cluck, but no lurch is normal as well.

Guest Ralph

On mine if you pull in the clutch on cold start give it a little rev
and most times it goes in gear with hardly a click but once warmed up
it's back to a clunk.

They all clunk when you put em in first gear. Some are worse than others. My driveway is slightly downhill. I just let the bike roll as I put it into first.

I will say the 07s do not have the smoothest transmissions. My recent Suzuki and Kawasaki machines seemed to be smoother. Not a big deal - just an observation.

OK, good to hear that my bike is not that different than most of yours. By the way I meant to say that I have a minimal amount of free play at the lever. That was the first thing I did when I got the bike home from the dealer. I think on the next oil change I will try some synthetic motorcycle oil in my bike. Maybe that will help some. Thanks for all your responses. modmasterIMG_2195_zps71fp4zfz.jpg~original

ducttapewd40

Its normal on almost every bike with a multiple plate wet clutch (which is most of them) The plates aren't actually being pulled apart from each other when you pull the clutch in,you're just releasing spring pressure squeezing them together when you pull the lever. Then there is still enough friction between them to keep them all spinning in unison while the bike is in neutral with the clutch pulled in. The thunk is just the last bit of friction between the steel plates coming to an abrupt stop when the transmission engages from neutral and the friction plates that will keep spinning with the motor.

Guest Ralph

On the MT the gear box is high on the engine so the only oil it gets is from the oil
pump, on older designs the gears often ran in oil this caused drag and maybe tended
to help the clutch separate when pulled in as well as helping to cushion the gears as
they go in gear, with the MT set up there is likely not as much oil about, mine changes
nicely on the move just a bit of a clunk going into gear and at 5000 miles seems to be
getting better or maybe I am getting used to it.

I have also found that if I put it in first gear, pull in the clutch and push it forward till the clutch breaks free will help. Then when I put it in gear to start out it is less of a clunk but it is still there. I had to do that with my old 79 Triumph Bonneville or it would lurch forward just like this one when you put it in gear for the first time. I also own a 2013 Bonneville which is way better than those. No clunk or lurch forward and the shifting effort is quite a bit lighter than my FZ. I didn't expect that with the FZ. Maybe that's why I'm a bit sensitive about it with this bike.

modmaster

I'm glad I'm not the only person feeling this.
If I start the bike while in gear I can also feel it trying to pull the bike forward just a bit, like the clutch isn't all the way in.

recurveshooter

Hi. When I start my bike first thing in the morning I pull in the clutch and roll it backwards a foot or so while I blip the engine a bit. That seems to break the bond between plates and that initial shift to first is a little smoother.

I was wondering if MODMASTER could tell us what kind of fairing that is. It looks like it should get the job done. Thanks.

That windshield is my own design. I originally used the old windshield from my Yamaha Majesty Scooter and cut it down to a height that gave me wind protection from the chin down. It's all clean air above that. I made my own brackets from 1/8" thick steel at the top of the headlight where it is connected to the top triple tree. I made the upper mounts to tie in at the mirror extensions I made previously. Then when I felt I had every thing trimmed and mounted the way I wanted I ordered a new windshield made for a Majesty Scooter from 7Jurock. They were willing to work with me on changing the original screen shape in a few key places and I asked them not to drill any holes in it so I could custom fit it. Great people to work with by the way. I can post a few more pics if anyone wants to see further.

modmaster[/img]

• 2 weeks later...

I now have 1400 miles on my bike and I recently changed to Castrol 10w40 Synthetic oil and it now shifts much smoother both up and down. Thanks for the tip on reving it up in neutral with the clutch held in to reduce that first clunk to a click. Works great.

modmaster

Archived