The MT-07 Forum

HELP! Bolt Removal for Akrapovic Carbon Installation

blueangel

I am in the process of removing the stock exhaust as I just received my Akrapovic Carbon exhaust. The actual removal of the exhaust was straight forward. However, the installation instructions call for the removal of this 22 mm bolt, as illustrated in the photo below. For the life of me, this bolt does not want to budge.  I’ve used socket wrench and impact driver, with no luck … just sheer frustration. >:D I would appreciate any recommendations from anyone that has had to remove this similar bolt. Many thanks!

d0csySw.png

i never removed that bolt when I installed my yoshi- I assume they mount In a similar fashion. Remove the two bolts to the left to remove the foot peg.

i never removed that bolt when I installed my yoshi- I assume they mount In a similar fashion. Remove the two bolts to the left to remove the foot peg.
There's a bracket that's supplied only for the Akra Carbon that fits on that particular bolt and the 2 allen screws that sit below.  I, too, found it odd that it had to be removed in comparison to other exhaust.  I had no problems removing the two bolts to free the foot peg.  Thanks. 

Wierd. They probably used some red locktight or something. Penetrating oil might be your best friend here.

Wierd. They probably used some red locktight or something. Penetrating oil might be your best friend here.
Yes, I noticed they used red loctite on the 2 allen screws.  What a pain!  I'll try penetrating oil.  Thanks.

bmwpowere36m3

The nut (locking, not loctite) is torqued to ~80 ft-lbs… so it'll take some force to remove. Either a long ratchet, breaker bar or 1/2" impact gun.

That's the nut on the end of the swingarm pivot bolt.
18-inch breaker bar and the correct socket will do it as I had mine apart over the winter.
It'll be tight, but not impossible.

Success!  :D I used a 24" breaker bar with the appropriate socket and it loosened without any issues. Thanks to all for their input.

Archived