The MT-07 Forum

New member from Hong Kong - Paul

dacxint

Hi fellow FZ/MT riders. I'm Paul from Hong Kong!

I got on my first bike a little over 2 years ago (a fun, easy to ride Honda Super Four), I've been a long time cager before this and I'm still loving the freedom of two wheels. I just placed an order for a new '15 white MT-07 ABS after seeing the '14 model on the road and talking to some owners. Delivery is expected later this month so I'm sure I'll put up some photos as soon as it arrive.

Before I dwell too much into modifications, can I get some perspective on the suspension of this bike? I've read mixed reviews on the set up not being very consistent for various riders. I'm about 70kg (154lbs), will I get some hairy action from the stiff front forks or quick rebound on the rear shocks?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Premium Member

I'm a similar weight, you should be fine for the most part. You may develop a desire to improve the suspension, but what it comes with will perform just fine. Your teeth may get rattled now and again, but not knocked out if you get what I mean.

Welcome to the forums!

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome Paul! You are our first member from Asia! For your weight the suspension should be fine unless you get into aggressive riding. We have a member map on top; please place a white pin for Hong Kong!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

In terms of suspension it really depends on how the road surface is and the degree that you push your bike. In Southern California, surface is a mixed bag; for the most part the suspension is fine (I'm at 140lb) but there have also been times in twisties where you'll wish for a stiffer set up. I think most my fear lies in that I'm a newbie so the boundaries of stock suspension is a little unclear and I'd prefer to just spend the money and not find out.

Also, welcome to the club.

I'm a similar weight, you should be fine for the most part. You may develop a desire to improve the suspension, but what it comes with will perform just fine. Your teeth may get rattled now and again, but not knocked out if you get what I mean. 
Welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the warm welcome! That's good to know, I'm not going to be riding it hard any time soon so suspension mods can wait till I actually deserve one. As long as the stock set up will keep both wheels on the surface I'll be happy. I imagine it will take some time for me to adjust to a new bike and build the kind of confidence I have with my current bike. I hope the 07 is as exciting to ride as everyone says! 

Welcome Paul! You are our first member from Asia! For your weight the suspension should be fine unless you get into aggressive riding. We have a member map on top; please place a white pin for Hong Kong!
Hi hippiebikerchick, 
Thanks for the welcome! I'm flattered to be the first one from Asia here, I've stuck a pin on the member's map, and I'll try to get more MT-07 members here if I meet them.

In terms of suspension it really depends on how the road surface is and the degree that you push your bike. In Southern California, surface is a mixed bag; for the most part the suspension is fine (I'm at 140lb) but there have also been times in twisties where you'll wish for a stiffer set up. I think most my fear lies in that I'm a newbie so the boundaries of stock suspension is a little unclear and I'd prefer to just spend the money and not find out.  
Also, welcome to the club.
Thanks for the welcome! 
The road surface here in Hong Kong is 99% tarmac / cement, I don't imagine myself pushing the bike a lot at first (highway speed limit here varies around 70mph, but at certain times you just can't help yourself...). Every weekend I will ride on some twisty roads, road surface is generally decent and smooth but I imagine there will be more elevation here than S. California, I also ride on highways a lot with long sweeping curves.

Any tips on any quirky characteristics on the handling of this bike?

• Global Moderator

Hi @dacxint, welcome, great to have you on board. Thanks for dropping a (lonely) pin on the member map. I changed the colour to match your bike. Did you vote for the fastest colour yet lol?

A lot of members are totally into modifying the bike. Things like exhaust, lighting and looks are very important. The suspension of the could probably use the most help. It is a budget bike, and you will reach the limits once you start pushing the bike. It is not like the bike is dangerous or anything with the stock suspension, but it limits its potential. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally after 2 months of waiting, I am about to receive my first brand new bike.

When I picked up these documents from the dealership yesterday, I had a glimpse of my brand new bike tucked at the back of the garage, all ready to go with me right there and then.

I'm not quite sure how I was able to refrain from scratching that itch and had the discipline to walk out the dealer empty handed, saying to myself inside my head "Wait, wait till the secure parking is ready"

Anyway, patience has led me this far without any accidents on and off the motorcycle in the past 3 years, I can wait a little longer. Paperworks are all in place now, parking space will be ready tomorrow, I'll bring the bike home in 48 hours, but not without christening it with a proper ride throughout the city of HK. Expect photos and videos!

Warranty & Service card, vehicle registration document, insurance papers
19297602996_996d9f3605_c.jpg
Birth certificates of my new bike by Paul Li, on Flickr

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome! Enjoy your new ride when you get it and be safe out there.

Archived