The MT-07 Forum

2WheelDynoWorks ECU Reflash Review

phicurious86

there's a difference between "burble" and "bang". I don't think anyone is objecting to the sound like you get out of big diesel exhaust when letting off the gas (NOT to be confused with a jake brake). It's more that staccato or explosive bang that people are objecting to. At least that's my read.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
phicurious86
there's a difference between "burble" and "bang". I don't think anyone is objecting to the sound like you get out of big diesel exhaust when letting off the gas (NOT to be confused with a jake brake). It's more that staccato or explosive bang that people are objecting to. At least that's my read.
Agree with Pattonme here. The explosive and loud series of pops is just obnoxious for anyone not on the bike.

I'm shocked at all this back and forth about mileage and how to calculate it accurately...its super simple. And i have found the dash innacurate.

1. Fill up to bottom of ring.
2. Reset tripometer.
3. Ride bike.
4. Fill up to bottom of ring.
5. Divide #of mile by #gallons.

I do this often and get extremely reliable and consistent numbers.

With that said, city varies greatly, highway is always in a small window for me.

Also, of course your fuel mileage is worse after the flash. You're out there riding faster! At least I am ;) I got flashed on Tuesday at 2WheelDynoWorks. After the flash I left their shop and immediately filled my tank with 92 to bottom of ring. Reset tripometer. Hopped on the freeway for about 114 miles on the freeway, also including about 10 minutes of rush hour stop-n-go covering about 3 miles when I got back in town. Averaged speed of 73ish MPH on the freeway. Only a few full throttle pulls to pass 5-6 cars a few times. Back in town, tripometer read 117 miles. Put in 1.9 US gallons to the bottom of the ring.

117/1.9=61.6 miles per gallons, almost the exact same mileage I was getting before the flash.

You are so right on the money with your assessment and I couldn't say it any better.

modmaster

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Also, of course your fuel mileage is worse after the flash. You're out there riding faster! At least I am ;) I got flashed on Tuesday at 2WheelDynoWorks.

This is an interesting point that I hadn't fully considered. The period of time in which I was riding the bike without the EJK or reflash was almost entirely during the break-in period. I'm sure I didn't the bike as fast, or hard, during that period and thus my fueling comparison between stock and the reflash was not really comparable.

I'll amend that section of the review after I get some more mileage numbers that aren't reliant on the bike's mpg calculator.

I was hoping to hear that the reflash significantly reduced the off throttle fuel cut off decel. If it really is no better than the ejk (which I didn't notice much difference) I think I will just stay with the ejk unless there are some significant other benefits to the reflash

I was hoping to hear that the reflash significantly reduced the off throttle fuel cut off decel. If it really is no better than the ejk (which I didn't notice much difference) I think I will just stay with the ejk unless there are some significant other benefits to the reflash

I can't speak for the EJK as I never had one, but the throttle cut is reduced and/or gone after the ecu flash. Without looking at the data file personally, I cannot tell you for certain if the fuel cut is gone. Nels said the fuel cut is eliminated and my butt dyno shows the same results. In fact, I came a little "too close for comfort" to the rear of a couple cars approaching a stop after the flash as the bike requires alot more brake application to stop the bike with the significant reduction of engine braking.

Again, I can't speak for EJK, but if you are looking for reduced engine breaking, the ECU flash will change your riding world. And I REALLY like it. Now when I'm on the highway and back off the throttle, the bike doesn't dive into decel. It allows for a significantly smoother fine tuning of decel speed depending on how much you reduce the throttle. And the accel/decel transition is much smoother requiring less clutch work for smooth riding.

I was hoping to hear that the reflash significantly reduced the off throttle fuel cut off decel. If it really is no better than the ejk (which I didn't notice much difference) I think I will just stay with the ejk unless there are some significant other benefits to the ref lash
It does.  It was the first thing I noticed about the flash.  Like 10 feet front the drive way I noticed it.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

When I had my flash done I asked nels to reduce the decel so its still there slightly but not at the stock "I'm about to get thrown over the handle bars level". What I got was perfect. Well worth the money just for that.

Personally, I have no beef with the stock engine braking.
In fact, I like it, and is one of the things I wish the EJK did not change, although it did reduce it.

How about the reduction in the dreaded throttle snatch (sudden jolt) when opening the throttle from closed?I don't mean when putting 10 mph through a parking lot, but while sport riding the bike in the twisties.
Does the reflash do anything for this?

Personally, I have no beef with the stock engine braking. In fact, I like it, and is one of the things I wish the EJK did not change, although it did reduce it.

How about the reduction in the dreaded throttle snatch (sudden jolt) when opening the throttle from closed?I don't mean when putting 10 mph through a parking lot, but while sport riding the bike in the twisties.

This is a combination of things but has a lot to do with fuel cut on decel. If you are accelerating and close the throttle or significantly reduce throttle, the computer detects this and cuts fuel, increasing fuel mileage.

The problem is when you go to accelerate, the bike has to go from no fuel to normal fuel, which can be a harsh transition. When you remove fuel cut it goes back to a standard mode of functioning. When you are accelerating and close the throttle or significantly reduce throttle, there is still fuel supplied and being burned. So when you go to accelerate again, there isn't a harsh transition, it just increases the fuel a little. It doesn't have to go from no-fuel to full-fuel.

If you eliminate fuel cut, you eliminate this problem almost entirely. This is what I meant when I said you need less clutch control for smooth transitions. Before the flash, I had perfect transitions most of the time, but it requires a lot of gentle clutch work. After the flash, it requires little or no clutch work depending on how much throttle you apply.

If you need to feather the clutch to manage on/off throttle transitions (more power to ya!) but it means the FI map is complete shet. Though shipping crappy maps seems to be an epidemic. Year after year the Jap4 can't seem to get it figured out while the Euro brands apparently know what they're doing. For the most part. That said Yamaha seems to be getting better at it, but either has to be forced to spend the effort (nee FZ09 getting slammed soundly in the press) or they only bother on the supersport/superbikes or the top of the line motocross machines.

The ECU and FI map is the heart and soul of the motorcycle. You could make an engine out of pot metal (well not really) but get the FI right and people would sing it's praises.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I honestly didn't notice how harsh the fz07 was until I rode it back to back with a 08 z1000 which to me has smooth throttle transitions. It's something a lot of people won't understand until they ride on it.

I know a lot of the direction for the fuel maps is driven by government regulations and emissions standards. I work for Michelin and used to be an OE tire designer and saw OEMs (Ford and Honda) willing give up stupid amounts of other performances (wet braking, dry braking, wear, handling, ect). Just to hit a certain fuel efficiency rating. We of course try to push the envelope to give the fuel efficiency rating and maintain other performances but that makes for a very expensive tire, that the OEM's don't want to pay for. So I moved to race and now the moto is screw this fuel efficiency crap and lets go fast!

Personally, I have no beef with the stock engine braking. In fact, I like it, and is one of the things I wish the EJK did not change, although it did reduce it.

Yes, see my post on page one. The on/off throttle transition is night and day different.

OK my interest is perked again about doing the reflash. I had just read a review on here where someone went from the EJK to the reflash and said he didn't notice a huge difference and something that had stood out to me was the off decel fuel cut (which I hate....and didn't notice much difference after installing my ejk) Perhaps I will start saving my pennies again for the flash :)

• Premium Member

@dewski after installing the EJK did you unplug the 02 sensor? If you didn't then you need to unplug that thing.

One word of caution. The lower fan cycle temps are not correct on the reflash. They are supposed to be lowered to 195-205 cycle off/on. But for some reason the upper limit is 214ish. I emailed Nels and he said the file is correct reading 205 but for some reason its not operating like that. He said he would contact flashtune but I haven't heard back from him.

One word of caution. The lower fan cycle temps are not correct on the reflash. They are supposed to be lowered to 195-205 cycle off/on. But for some reason the upper limit is 214ish. I emailed Nels and he said the file is correct reading 205 but for some reason its not operating like that. He said he would contact flashtune but I haven't heard back from him.
I noticed this sitting at a light the other day.  I was wondering if I read something wrong.

@dewski after installing the EJK did you unplug the 02 sensor? If you didn't then you need to unplug that thing.
 yes 02 sensor is not even on the bike anymore...unplugged it and removed the assembly.  My 2bros has a screw in plug in it now.  :) 

2wheeldynoworks

I noticed this sitting at a light the other day.  I was wondering if I read something wrong.
The issue was brought up with FlashTune, they are looking into the code about that issue right now. It appears to be a glitch in some of the flashes, an unfortunate side affect of  using cutting edge technology is that sometimes it needs some tweaking. They are working on it, we appreciate your patience. 

I can't speak for the EJK as I never had one, but the throttle cut is reduced and/or gone after the ecu flash. Without looking at the data file personally, I cannot tell you for certain if the fuel cut is gone. Nels said the fuel cut is eliminated and my butt dyno shows the same results. In fact, I came a little "too close for comfort" to the rear of a couple cars approaching a stop after the flash as the bike requires alot more brake application to stop the bike with the significant reduction of engine braking.

Again, I can't speak for EJK, but if you are looking for reduced engine breaking, the ECU flash will change your riding world. And I REALLY like it. Now when I'm on the highway and back off the throttle, the bike doesn't dive into decel. It allows for a significantly smoother fine tuning of decel speed depending on how much you reduce the throttle. And the accel/decel transition is much smoother requiring less clutch work for smooth riding.
The front end dive when you let off the throttle is crazy............IMO a combo of too soft springs and a EPA friendly map. 
It is the main thing I can't stand about the bike, but $300+ for a tune IMO is also crazy.

The front end dive when you let off the throttle is crazy............IMO a combo of too soft springs and a EPA friendly map. 
It is the main thing I can't stand about the bike, but $300+ for a tune IMO is also crazy.

Yes, correct it is a combo plate. Soft springs and fuel cut. To clarify, you said it perfectly, the fuel cut is not component of a bad map, its EPA friendly. It's the end result of intentional increasing of fuel efficiency. They have used this on numerous cars to increase fuel mileage. The problem is they have to try for 14.7 air fuel ratio for emissions. But this does not provide maximum power or engine efficiency, so they have to find other ways to increase mileage.

As you know, the dive is caused by a shift of weight to the front, caused by braking or the heavy decel of fuel cut. Better suspension will help fix this, BUT it still won't fix the terrible harsh transition from closed throttle to accel, which is brutal when in the twisties upsetting the flow of the bike. To me, this feels like a chain that has way too much slack.

That's the beauty of the flash. Same fuel mileage, more power, and rides smooth as butter! Now, if you're an ultra tree hugger, don't get the flash. Moving away from 14.7 will increase emissions. The flash runs at 13.2 air fuel ratio. I justify this because my mileage is twice most cars.

BUT, here's the harsh reality. Everyone who bought the fizzy didn't buy a sport bike! You bought a high mileage commuter that is fun! ;) So don't be too hard on Yamaha, they made the exact bikenthey tried to. I knew that when I bought the bike. It's all ultra, ultra budget sport bike. It's good to keep that in mind :)

And for some of us who live to ride, it's an awesome platform to customize to end up with an amazing light weight sub-class sport bike. But that costs money.

Blah blah blah. Yes, 300 is a chunck of change and its not for everyone, but don't forget how great the bike is in stock for, it can just be so, so much more with more money, as with most things.....

2wheeldynoworks

Generally fuel mapping alone will cost you $200-500 depending on the
dyno tuner. Proper ECU flashes can range from $350 to $3,500 and more.
Using cutting edge technology from a company spending thousands of man
hours decoding and re-writing the code line by line and then being put
into a software allowing a tuner to use it and easily tune isn't a
small undertaking. You're also paying for your tuners time, and in my
case i'm bringing 15+ years of specializing in engine calibration at
the highest levels of cars and bikes.

Programmers themselves range from $250-$750 and up. This is just for
the hardware that will allow a customer, to spend a few hours to
install the programmers (or pay a few hundred to a shop to install),
and then take their bike to a dyno tuner and pay the tuner for their
time, knowledge and experience to tune the bike, which is another
~$200-300.

PCFC is $250, or PC5 is $449, plus tax plus install plus tune and
you're looking at close to three time the cost of a flash, for
something that is still inferior to the ecu flash, which controls
everything on your bike, and not just the fueling and timing. So much
more is changed

I hope this helps you understand the fairness in the cost for this
flash. Prices have gone down in the last few years as well by about
half of what it used to be.

Generally fuel mapping alone will cost you $200-500 depending on the 
dyno tuner. Proper ECU flashes can range from $350 to $3,500 and more.

Using cutting edge technology from a company spending thousands of man

hours decoding and re-writing the code line by line and then being put

into a software allowing a tuner to use it and easily tune isn't a

small undertaking. You're also paying for your tuners time, and in my

case i'm bringing 15+ years of specializing in engine calibration at

the highest levels of cars and bikes.

Programmers themselves range from $250-$750 and up. This is just for

the hardware that will allow a customer, to spend a few hours to

install the programmers (or pay a few hundred to a shop to install),

and then take their bike to a dyno tuner and pay the tuner for their

time, knowledge and experience to tune the bike, which is another

~$200-300.

PCFC is $250, or PC5 is $449, plus tax plus install plus tune and

you're looking at close to three time the cost of a flash, for

something that is still inferior to the ecu flash, which controls

everything on your bike, and not just the fueling and timing. So much

more is changed

I hope this helps you understand the fairness in the cost for this

flash. Prices have gone down in the last few years as well by about

half of what it used to be.

Didn't say $300+ was out of line, just my opinion that comes from riding a Honda 919 for the last 4-5 years. That bike just works, right out of the box. 

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I first went with the PCV route and soon hit the limit of what i could do. It cant do things like bump the idle speed. While it can adjust timing without a dyno tune its hard to know what direction to go without the experience that Nels has. After spending 650 or so on my Powercommander set up i decided to get the 2WDW tune. I have just completed pulling the PCV off of my bike completely, and plan to sell it at a loss. I wish i would have waited on this tuning option in the first place.

My biggest complaint about this bike is/was the on off throttle transitions it just made the bike feel overlay cheap and cobbled together. The 2WDW tune is so much smoother it feels like a different, more expensive, bike. If Yamaha could have put in a tune like 2WDW can I bet it would add more than 300 to the overall cost of the bike. I never noticed how bad it was until I rode back to back with a 08 Z1000. While the cost of a tune is not for everyone i don't think anyone will be unhappy with the results, even with a bike in the stock format.

Archived