The MT-07 Forum

looking for reviews of seat concepts kit

jj

Has anyone ridden on the seat concepts kit. Would love some feedback on how comfortable it is compared to the stock seat.  

• Global Moderator

I like mine. I was initially sent the all carbon fiber one by mistake. I found it too slippery for my liking (although it got less slippery with use). They quickly sent the gripper one I had ordered and I love it. It is much better than the stock seat, although I still get a sore butt after awhile it is a lot longer while than with the stock seat. I would buy it again with no hesitation.

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

Mine is better than the stock seat for sure. I did add a little more foam in the dish. I spent the last two days on it and my butt did get a little sore, but I could handle much more seat time that the stock one before stopping for a break. I would buy it again

Thanks for the input. I figure as long as the new seat is a bit better it is worth the money. I love the bike and am hoping to to some multi day trips. I try to stop every hour for fifteen minutes, but am usually seeking pain relief by the end of the day.

southernoregonduck

I purchased the Seat Concepts seat and was very disapointed. The pad was very uncomfortable. It felt like the middle of the seat was missing! After riding with the new seat kit for two weeks, I removed the internal foam pad and replaced it with the original foam pad. The carbon fiber type fabric is nice looking , so I kept the outer fabric. I have the foam pad from Seat Concepts if someone has a need for it.

I hated the slippery feel of the OE saddle's cover. Nothing short of sandpaper or replacing was gonna change that. The edges of the OE seat also dug into the back of my legs after a while.

The gripper fabric of the Seat Concepts is maybe just a tad too grippy. But, imo, that's better than sliding forward every time I slam the throttle closed. Also, my experience with my Aprilia's saddle was very similar. that fabric was also quite grippy when new. Eventually that mellowed out with some wear.

I also really did not like the dished out shape of their foam as that also resulted in pressure on the backs of my legs - so I just added more foam to fill in the depression. After a couple of tries to get the shape and density better, I'm pretty happy with it. W/o that bung hole in the foam, the Seat Concepts cover would have been pretty close to perfect right out of the box.

Haven't decided on what to do with the Yammy seat ( if anything) yet.
I have fitted a Seat Concepts on a DRZ400SM and my Husky TR650.
HUGE positive difference for me. Rode the Husky 600km to Phillip Island and back and the old seat I couldn't sit on it for more than 100km. The SC one was fine for about 300km then it would start to burn me. Huge improvement.

Slipperiness is a function of the Seat cover AND the material on your rear. Leather needs more grippy cover than denim for instance. Cordura somewhere inbetween. Some of the kevlar inserts in leathers ( inter ailia) is VERY grippy and can make moving around quite difficult.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...

I love my seat concepts seat... I used to struggle riding any longer than 2 hours. I'd start cramping up and everything on the stock seat...

This one is way more comfortable, and looks heaps better too!!

I'd recommend purchasing it :)

If a person wanted to redo their own seat what would they need and how to go about it? I thought someone had done this before with a staple gun and whatever else but can't find the post. I have some 1 1/2 inch memory foam I'd like to try out.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
If a person wanted to redo their own seat what would they need and how to go about it? I thought someone had done this before with a staple gun and whatever else but can't find the post. I have some 1 1/2 inch memory foam I'd like to try out.
I would think the hard part would be cutting the foam to the correct size. You will need a pneumatic or electric stapler as people have not had much luck trying to use manual ones. I watched an apholsterer install mine and it did not look too difficult. I would try it. Worst case you can reinstall the original foam. 

ramblinman87

For anyone with a seat concepts seat... how many miles can you do before you feel like you have to get off the bike? I just did a 2200 mile trip over the last four days, first day was 700 miles and I hurt so damn bad by the end of it. Wondering if this seat will help me do 400-500 mile days with less pain involved.

Less pain but u will still feel pain. It's the shape of the seat, hard to correct.

Every motorcycle causes pain in the arse. But the shape of the little seat makes improvements difficult. The seat concepts option does help a lot but we need to be realistic in our reviews. It's only gonna help so much.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
For anyone with a seat concepts seat... how many miles can you do before you feel like you have to get off the bike? I just did a 2200 mile trip over the last four days, first day was 700 miles and I hurt so damn bad by the end of it. Wondering if this seat will help me do 400-500 mile days with less pain involved.

700 miles in one day is no easy ride. You can spend money on seats if you want but I think you'll find you're just throwing away cash.

I did a trip like that on the stock seat. 2,060 miles in a week. The first day was the longest:340 miles. It was a very easy week.

I had a lowered sportster with an inch of foam in the seat. That thing hurt so bad. But I got to the point where 400 miles in a day was a good easy ride. 600 was my limit though.

Ride as much as you can. You'll toughen up and save lots of money for beer :)

-HowWorkClutch

• 4 weeks later...
amycyclenut
Any increase in seat height with the Seat Concepts? 
Thanks
I just installed the seat concepts all carbon version. While I don't have that many miles on it yet, it's definitely different and softer. I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs so when I ordered the seat I added that info to the comments. They apparently have different foam densities depending on rider weight. 
I did not notice any real difference in seat height, seems very similar to what was stock.

Time will tell if my sit bones are any happier. 
2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

After riding on my Seat Concepts seat kit for the last 2000mi. or so I have to say that it would probably be an increase in comfort for someone fairly light. Say 130 to 170lbs. Unfortunately I'm not in that category. I weigh 236lbs. and for me its not much better than stock. Foam is too soft. Plus they didn't add enough foam to the front of the seat so you don't slide forward all the time. I added my own extra foam to the front and was barely able to get the cover back on but I managed. I think I might like a corbin seat because everyone says the foam they use is very firm but shaped well. Probably better for us heavier guys.

modmasterIMG_2209_zpsvtaywns2.jpg~original

amycyclenut

What I did notice on mine was that the back edge of the cushion is angled up, instead of either smoothed out straight back or slightly downward. So when you sit in the seat, you can feel that ridge. I don't know if this makes sense but it's kind of annoying. I'm thinking of either attempting to reshape this back edge myself or take it somewhere. When I look at Modmaster's seat it does not appear to have the same upward shape? I've tried pulling the cover as tightly as I could in the back, but that only seemed to accentuate the issue.

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

Archived