The MT-07 Forum

Fender eleminator, is tag light needed?

njtturano

Hey guys just looking for some input. I have ordered an integrated tail light assembly and was curious if that would put off enough light to illuminate the tag with a fender eliminator?Does anyone have a fender eliminator without the tag light?Thoughts please- Thanks

• Global Moderator

It might be different in your state (although I doubt it) but here you are required to have a white light illuminating your license plate. Of course whether you will get a ticket for it is another matter.

California it is law to have light illuminating your license plate

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

bmwpowere36m3

As said, by law you must have the plate illuminated. Some aftermarket taillights have a small clear window at the bottom just for that purpose. I don't know if the Motodynamic taillight does, the only aftermarket one I know of for the FZ... unless you search eBay.

The stock taillight does not have that window and thus needs a seperate light for the plate.

Do you need any resistors for these?
No, just wire them with the correct polarity. They work great.

Do you need any resistors for these?
No, just wire them with the correct polarity. They work great.
Nice, thanks.  I just pieced together a few 1.5" x 1.5" shelf corner braces for a $2 fender eliminator and wasn't sure what I was going to do about lighting. 

http://i.imgur.com/F3bMRpX.jpg

• Premium Member

I would say put a light on it, not worth the ticket

thomascrown

I don't run a light, and cops have passed me at night without giving me a ticket. This is California. The motodynamic tail is significantly brighter than stock, so the license plate is illuminated pretty well, but in a red hue.

bmwpowere36m3
I don't run a light, and cops have passed me at night without giving me a ticket. This is California. The motodynamic tail is significantly brighter than stock, so the license plate is illuminated pretty well, but in a red hue.
+1
As long as the plate is "illuminated" enough to make the plate readable at night... you shouldn't have any issues.

Archived