The MT-07 Forum

Painting an FZ-07

redbolide

I'm a new rider, and I'm pretty much sold on the FZ-07. I'd really like to get a 2015, but I'm not particularly fond of the color options (red and white are alright; the graphite is my favorite but I really don't like the blue accents). I was considering painting the bike. First of all, is this a really bad idea for any particular reason? Second, how should I do it? I would definitely get it professionally done, but I don't know whether to get a white or red bike and get the fuel tank/fairing (not sure exactly what it's called) resprayed or to get the graphite bike and get the frame and rims resprayed. It seems like painting the fuel tank/fairing would be easier than painting the frame but, again, I have no idea. Thoughts?

• Premium Member
belleau1977

I'm for the most part sold on the FZ-07 myself and if I get it in the red or matte grey version I'm going to get the wheels 50/50 painted red/white. I've never seen a bike in person with it done so I think it would be killer to have the first FZ-07 with it done.[attachment id=441" thumbnail="1][attachment id=440" thumbnail="1][attachment id=442" thumbnail="1]

SouthernSpeed

Hey bud,
Welcome to riding, I think you are going to enjoy it. The FZ-07 is a great bike for guys starting out and experienced riders also, it just does it all. Anyway I think painting the bike would be easy enough. If I were going to go about it, and I have thought about painting my white bike blue, I would pick a white or red bike depending on what color you want the frame to be, the white bike has a silver frame and the red bike has a black frame. If you don't like the blue frame and wheels on the graphite bike then don't bother with that one it would be more labor to get the frame and wheels powder coated to another color of course. I think it would be easy to take the tank, side panels and fenders off and then take them to a body shop for paint or paint yourself. What I think a lot of folks are doing is getting it wrapped. I think it is like a vinyl stretch wrap that you have a professional put on with a heat gun, but I have not done this myself. I was thinking about trying a type of plasti dip spray myself like the stuff on dipyourcar.com, the guys you see on you tube. I have been interested in trying in this product from eastwood called elastiwrap, I have had great success with their paint products in the past. That's just my thoughts on this some other people might have some better ideas.

P.S.  I think those 2 tone red/white wheels would look awesome on a red FZ-07 !

The torque on this thing is pretty addictive....

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I liked the white fz-07, but wanted it with a black frame.  So I purchased a red fz-07 and the three white tank panel pieces and replaced the red panels for white.  I paid around $160 for the panels. If you like the graphite, you could purchase a red (black frame) bike and purchase the graphite panels to install on your new bike.  It may be cheaper to paint the panels yourself, but changing the panels is another option to consider.  Here is a link to the thread that explains how to remove the tank body panels to do a throttle body sync, but you only need to do the first few steps just to get the panels off: Body panel removal LinkIMG_0957_zpsryzjms0a.jpg

The 2016's are supposed to be arriving in late August or early Sept. , so you can probably get the 2015 a little bit cheaper then. .... You might not thought because of the high demand compared to the supply. I was looking at a Grom and even though the new 2015 models came out, the 2014's didn't sell at a discount because of such a high demand.

I think you made a good decision to get an 07. It's such a fun bike to ride and it can be tame if you want or a beast if you choose. It's very user friendly and did I mention how fun it is to ride?? Even just going from a stop light to about 35-40 mph is really fun. With the FZ-07 you don't need to ride 100mph to have fun on it.

Welcome! If you're going to or have a professional paint your bike you need to consider what color you're going to paint it 'before' you buy the bike. I didn't think I was going to paint mine and now the color I want to paint it doesn't match the frame so now I have to come up with a different paint scheme that won't look quite as good, fuuuudge! Since black is a neutral color I would buy a red one w/blk. frame if I were you so you don't make the same mistake I did or just keep in mind the color you're going to paint it.  

Beemer

The 2016 models have an all black paint scheme. Maybe hold out for that one. That would be the best bet IMHO.

Archived