The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Insurance quotes, rates and reviews

Cruizin

• Premium Member
Mine was 499 for the year , farmers, California, age 45, 500 deductible I believe.
Same here as well with farmers too.. difference is im 28, they punched in the higher deductible or whatever the crap it was and came out to 527 for a year.. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

I checked with State Farm the other day and apparently they do not classify according to type, but rather go on engine size and statistics. So my $4xx a year at 41 years old is because it's a 689cc bike and there are significant number of idiot riders out there getting killed for riding stupid. No matter how much I want to get a sport bike now, I couldn't afford the insurance if I did, not like when it was cheap 10 years ago. I guess maybe I should be happy that they cost so much now. Might keep them in the hands of older, more experienced riders who are actually afraid of death.

I got insured through state farm I have automobile, renters, and now motorcycle insurance through them. I pay just under 800 a year for full coverage and 500 deductible on everything. This was the cheapest I could find by far, beat everyone else by around a grand for the same coverage.

I'm 26
Clean record
Unmarried
No license
And live in So-Cal

This thread is nearly entirely useless without the location information of each person. I'm paying $59 a month for full coverage with Dairyland which was the best I could find at any company. I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
Location has a lot to do with insurances. Its not only who you are and how you drive that matters (only if you are young, single and have tickets), but where you live. I moved from a major city (Colorado Springs) to nowhere (the deep country), but because my new part of the country has a lot of accidents, uninsured drivers and law suits, my bike full coverage insurance went from $40 a month to $80 a month.
Plus, states with uninsured/under insured insurance clause (a serious rip off) make it that you pay double your standard insurance (you are paying for the other guy as well).

I wished we fought against this "uninsured/under insured" state laws.
Every drivers, in states with the "uninsured" laws, has to pay for it, and it doubles your insurance.
Let see, you live in a state with 5 millions drivers. But only 100,000 drivers don't have insurances (seams a fair count to me).
So drivers for that states pay for 4,900,000 imaginary uninsured drivers? What happen to that money? Insurance company's pure profit?

• Global Moderator

My state requires all drivers to have insurance. I still have to pay for uninsured/under-insured coverage because people still drive without insurance. I wish they would require proof of insurance when you renewed your tabs. Maybe that would work.

and then they would call up the company and promptly cancel their coverage. There is one pretty quick way to solve this problem. The insurance company database has to be on-line and integrated into the Dept of Motor Vehicles. If your vehicle is involved in an accident and the database says you don't have coverage and you can not prove coverage either with a certificate or verification to the company hotline, you not only get awarded automatic at-fault status, your vehicle is impounded. And you get a nice citation to cap off the experience.

You can get your car out of hock 'on the spot' with a 90 day purchase of whatever your state calls the 'last-resort' plan or a call to your friendly broker.

I realize efficient government is tantamount to tyranny, but when there are quite a few people don't give a damn about obeying the law, some times the hammer is needed.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

My renewal just came in the mail. $121/Year Beat that! :D (I just checked & it actually went up 3 bux from the first year) :P

Full coverage through Dairyland with 50/100k liability and 500 ded for comp/coll (includes discounts for AMA, safety course etc)

yeah @dewski but you live in Utah. The economics are different on the coasts and large metro areas. I pay $150/yr just in 100/300 liability for each of my 6 bikes.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Did they use lube before they bent you over for the first year?

Honestly prices have dropped recently I get quotes every so often but don't use my social or a dress or name but keep the records the same and the difference is around 50 for just liability so multiply that and prices have just dropped as statistics have came in.

So guys, my renewal came and they wanted 1800 for the year. Called to cancel and they gave me 600 for the year. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Over the course of the past week I have been searching local and on the internet for full coverage insurance. It sucks being 22 with 3 tickets on my record. Cheapest quote I had gotten was 2,104 for the year, and that's out of about 6 different companies. That was until today where I found 1,100 for the year with a $500 deductible with Direct Auto. Had to go with that one because I refuse liability. This is in Texas btw if anyone was curious.

I'm in Hawaii and 32 years old. Progressive quoted me $1,550 a year.( been with them for 5years too) HA!
Clean record
No accidents
Married

Become a member of the USAA and quoted me $700 a year.
Full coverage. That's more like it. :)

Honda Grom
CB 350

• 1 month later...

950/year
Registered in ketchikan, alaska
Renting, married, msf, 7 years exp.
Geico, have my car (subie outback turbo) with them and pay that 900 every six months. Rip off but I just haven't called around.
One at fault accident last year in car
No tickets in 4 years

50/100 bodily injury
25 property damage
50/100 uninsured
25 uninsured property damage 250 ded.
5k medical expense (no health insurance)
Comp and collision 500 ded.
Towing within an hour

Its a Lot more expensive if you own Property (and you get insured to cover the value of your property, should you be sued for liability).

Ex: Lets say you are cited for a moving violation (say an unsafe lane change) and another vehicle swerves out of the way trying to Avoid you, and causes a 3 car pile up. You are uninjured. Your bike suffers no damage. You never make ANY physical contact with anyone else. You are still likely to be sued by the other drivers attorneys. They will say that you bear responsibility for the accident (at least in part) and have culpability. They will look at your assets (own a house? have investments?) and sue you for the value of whatever Equity you may have. You may beat the rap or you may not,,,,,but it happens all the time.

Thats why getting minimal coverage in all the categories is a SERIOUS mistake if you have anything worth taking.

• 1 month later...

I just put a link to Markle Insurance Quotes in my sig. I have been talking to many in the motorcycle industry who are switching over to Markle because their rates are good and word is that they are really fast to pay out on claims with no games. Markle is really going after motorcycle policies and so far their reviews in the motorcycle industry are pretty good.

Get a FREE, no-obligation motorcycle insurance quote today!

yikes, @Cruizin I just ran my FZ-09 and they are 3x as expensive as Dairyland and 2x higher than Geico.
I'm not so sure your source is reliable.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest 2wheeler

I did not check insurance costs before I bought my bike - my mistake. I'm not sure if I would have bought my FZ if I had. I assumed because it was a naked bike that sat like a UJM, it would be considered a standard bike, not a sport bike - I still feel that way. Having said that, I had a dual sport with liability only on it when I bought my FZ. I had Progressive at the time. Dropping the liability down to 25/50 on both, but full coverage on the FZ, got my premium for both down to $1200/year. They told me that was with a $500 multiple bike discount, and straight up my insurance for the FZ only would be $1500.

I went with it on the spot because I wanted to ride my new bike knowing that I would be going shopping for new insurance immediately. After doing some research, I ended up with Foremost at $850/year with 100/300 coverage which included extra coverage for accessories ($3500), towing, and riding gear. The extras were nice perks, especially if I do a full suspension change to the FZ.

I sold the dual sport so that $850 was for the FZ only.

Rider insurance was the same price but without the perks, plus Rider didn't have as solid of a reputation as Foremost.

I'm in my 50's with a clean record, so the only thing I can figure is my location has a lot to do with it - Washington DC area.

Having said all this, $850/year pretty much still sucks!

I must be really lucky, my motorcycle insurance didnt cost me a dime extra. :-)

I called geico, they wanted 1800 a year for full coverage. That wasnt going to fly :-)

Called around till I got to state farm, they wanted 600. I told him he beat geico by 2/3's, so he offered to check both vehicles for me. It came out to be more than 600 a year less! Managed to come out saving some dinero on that deal.

I quickly canceled geico, and stitched to State Farm. :-)

I had gotten Dairyland Insurance 50/100/300 with $1,000 Deduc Comp/Coll $80 per month
This was the cheapest insurance I found... 17 years riding experience with no violations or accidents on record.
I know the price of coverages have is 100% due to where I live now... Used to Live in Poughkeepsie, NY and I quoted the insurance for giggles there and it was like half the price at $35.00 per month with a $500.00 Deduc... I guess Lewisville, TX is Shady as F[HASH]ck!   

• 1 month later...
I am creating and pinning this thread as a place for us to compare Motorcycle Insurance Quotes, Rates and reviews so that we can all work together to find the lowest rates and best total insurance packages for our FZ-07's and other motorcycles.  
After calling around, my best deal came from Dairyland. I'm currently paying $22.00 a month for full coverage, plus underinsured/non insured on my FZ-09. this also includes total cost replacement, not just what they deem the bike to be worth.

Luckily, I haven't had to test their service after an accident yet. But I'm told that $22 per month for an FZ-09 is very low so I'm pretty happy!

Who is your insurance company and how much are you paying?

"Are you original title holder of this motorcycle?:" = Is this a yes or no if the bike is financed? 

• Cruizin unpinned this topic

Archived