The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Insurance quotes, rates and reviews

Cruizin

I just got off the phone with Rider Insurance. I have been with Progressive over the past several years and the rates were fine, but the hit me with $1,014 per year for the FZ07!!

I'm 37, married, spotless driving record ( no idea how...), MSF credits, locked garage, etc....no way my Insurance should be that high.

However, Rider just hooked me up for $269/ yr. And yes, that's full coverage with a lien. Highly recommend checking them out.

Please, I'm not scamming or affiliated. lol. Just very happy to find a reasonable price.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm only 18 years old and my KTM 450 Supermoto was only ~$300 to insure with the lowest deductibles.... The jump to a 2015 FZ-07 with full coverage and $1,000 deductibles, is almost $1300. I was quoted $1680 with Geico, and I checked around that is the cheapest. I'm going to remove collision during the winter months so it drops it down to around 4-500.

Moral of the story. Don't be young if you want cheap insurance.

• Global Moderator
On 9/5/2017 at 10:26 AM, shinyribs said:

I just got off the phone with Rider Insurance. I have been with Progressive over the past several years and the rates were fine, but the hit me with $1,014 per year for the FZ07!!

I'm 37, married, spotless driving record ( no idea how...), MSF credits, locked garage, etc....no way my Insurance should be that high.

However, Rider just hooked me up for $269/ yr. And yes, that's full coverage with a lien. Highly recommend checking them out.

Please, I'm not scamming or affiliated. lol. Just very happy to find a reasonable price.

Yeah. I've had Rider for years. They quoted my around $250/year to add an FZ-07 to my policy. Right now I pay around 300/yr for three bikes through them (one full coverage, two liability only). Luckily, I've never had to make a claim so I can't speak to how good they are when that happens.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2015 at 3:52 PM, cavedog said:
Progressive 600 a year full coverage ( 50 a month ish) the Buell is 20 a month basic coverage. Clean driving record for now :)

wtf I have a clean record and I'm 27, progressive is charging me $100/ month.

Same here 80 a month 

• 3 weeks later...
Lawrence Cheung

So, it seems like Esurance is the cheapest for me... and they're asking ~$330/yr no collision, but with comprehensive. Super reasonable. On the other hand, I'm also offered ~$1,200/yr WITH a $500 deductible collision. That's a significant jump, although understandable for collision.

Would you say $900/yr more for collision is worth it? Should I opt to pay only for just 50k/100k liability + comprehensive, or also jump on the collision deductable?

Background: Not a brand new rider, been riding my Ninja 300 for 2 years now. About to get an FZ-07! Excited, but just looking for some insight on insurance opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I am old (ish 😁.) And my insurance is with State Farm. I have 3 cars and the house with them.  I have a spotless driving record and live in the boonies.  My rate for the Fz-07 with $500 deductible is $125 for 6 months...Age, location, driving record and number of policies all make a difference.  

• 2 weeks later...

For my '15 I got a price of $160/month in  New Jersey (had two points on my license at the time) when I moved to Delaware it would have been $250/month (because the drivers in that state are f@#king morons!) (This was for basic coverage, $15,000/$30,000 liability, same underinsured/uninsured & $1,000 deductible on the bike)

My new '17 FZ-07 is only $89/month now (no points on my license now) in New Jersey (This is with $100,000/$300,000 liability, $50,000/$100,000 underinsured/uninsured and a $500 deductible on the bike) 

Insurance is through Progressive which I have had insurance with since 2011.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, i am paying 180$ a month through Geico 😟. But, i am financing the bike and i'm also a brand new rider. I called around everywhere, dairy farm, all state, liberty, usaa, progressive. 180 was the lowest for my FZ-07. Dairyland actually did quote me at 120, but i read their reviews and i went with Geico because i do my automotive insurance through them as well and they have their own motorcycle dept for insurance so I figured I'd rather just pay the extra. Anyone know how long it takes for the rates to go down. This is full covereage, comprehensive, under insured, uninsured, everything. I've never read of anyone getting f@#ked like this besides me. im 27, clean driving record and I live in Phoenix. Trust me I called everywhere

• 3 weeks later...

In 2014 my 2015 FZ-07 was about $150/month with "full coverage". My new 2017 FZ-07 now is about $87/month with better "full coverage" both through Progressive.

308144.png

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, njdevils1990 said:

In 2014 my 2015 FZ-07 was about $150/month with "full coverage". My new 2017 FZ-07 now is about $87/month with better "full coverage" both through Progressive.

Did you happen to have a 25th Birthday between your 1st and 2nd FZ-07? That's a major difference in price.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Last year I paid $464 for the year,50k/25k passenger/each person, 25k each accident, 5k PIP, uninsured 25k per person, 50k each accident. uninsured property 25k. $500 deductible, 3k custom parts.

I was 37 then, no points, experienced,garaged,homeowner, in AR. by Safeco (Liberty Mutual) FYI progressive who I have my car and house ins. through were ridiculously more expensive. 

I got the renewal the other day, same ding -dong $451 for the year. Tried Dairyland with all the same as above and they came back with $422.24 through a subsidiary called viking ins. $28.76 difference?

I'm contemplating getting changing over. I have until feb.18th to decided, what's the verdict?

5 hours ago, DewMan said:

Did you happen to have a 25th Birthday between your 1st and 2nd FZ-07? That's a major difference in price.

I did, I was 23 when I got my 2015 FZ-07 and has a few points on my license vs. being 26 when I got my 2017 FZ-07 with no points on my license.

308144.png

• 1 month later...

I paid about $276 a year for my Harley, full coverage. Now with the FZ-07, $1,347.00. Thought there was an error, but I got a quote from a few different places and that was the cheapest!

EDIT: Never had a ticket car or bike, only been pulled over for a burned out headlight and got off with a verbal warning. Must be my age....?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ADHWC93 said:

I paid about $276 a year for my Harley, full coverage. Now with the FZ-07, $1,347.00. Thought there was an error, but I got a quote from a few different places and that was the cheapest!

EDIT: Never had a ticket car or bike, only been pulled over for a burned out headlight and got off with a verbal warning. Must be my age....?

If you're under 25 I expect it factors in, as well as your marital status, and your credit score believe it or not... all factor in among other things not directly tied to what bike you're insuring.  Talk to your Agent and find out what factor is making it so expensive.   

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:59 PM, C4 Trousers said:

Single, 28 years old, 1 year riding experience, MSF course, USAA discount. $694 a year with progressive. $1000 deductibles 

I'm almost double that with progressive through USAA. A little of that is tickets (they actually counted an HOV violation and an expired registration against me...), but liability is what is really killing me. If I take liability off, I can get it down to basically what you're paying. I just take off liability and collision when I know it will sit for a while, and it saves a good bit. 

23 hours ago, DewMan said:

If you're under 25 I expect it factors in, as well as your marital status, and your credit score believe it or not... all factor in among other things not directly tied to what bike you're insuring.  Talk to your Agent and find out what factor is making it so expensive.   

Turn 25 this year, so I'll see if that makes an impact on my price when the new policy term comes up. I realized credit score made a difference after Gieco sent me a letter saying that is why they are double the monthly price as everyone else. Though, everyone but them states how good my credit is, and I believe Progressive gives me a discount for it when I look at policy details.

I looked at the break down of charges and its all fairly inexpensive until I get to collision, which makes up $904 of the yearly price. I'm assuming this is because of rate of accidents on the bike or something? I'll take your suggestion though and see what they have to say. Doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.

• 1 month later...

I figured I'd contribute to this topic since my annual premium renewal notice came around.

For me, a 27 year old male living in North Carolina with 8 years riding experience, my 12 month premium with Progressive is $354 [down from $458 last year].

Coverage is:

• Bodily Injury is $30k each person - $60k each accident
  • Property damage liability - $25k each accident
  • Other than Collision - $1000 deductible
  • Collision - $1000 deductible
  • Accessory Coverage - $3000
  • Towing & Labor - $100 limit

Discounts used are:

• Paid in Full
  • Multiple Policy [I also have a homeowner's policy for my condo]
  • Disappearing Deductible 2
  • Claim Free Renewal
  • Prompt Payment
  • Homeowner
  • Transfer 3

Progressive has very, very competitive rates.  I'd consider them if you are looking around.

• 2 weeks later...
Red_ak_ranger

Quote attached.  31 with clean record except 2012 dui and the policy has big limits which makes me feel comfortable.  Attached 

DA21698B-13AA-4E56-AF6E-144287BBBFB4.jpeg

• Cruizin unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

So I got my new insurance bill from Dairyland Insurance. My first bill was $368/year for full coverage. My second one was $511, and now the new one is $528. I called to both complain, and see if they will reduce it. I have a clean driving record and am 60 years old. They checked, and there were no errors.

I live in the DC area, and I know insurance in general is high here. The sad part is that I don't think I can beat that price for the same coverage. Progressive is 2-3 times more expensive. Dairyland doesn't consider the FZ a sport bike which is why the are less expensive than some. I'm obviously going to do some research.

What surprised me though is that the Dairyland rep told me that they penalize for your age. They give bumps on the 5's starting at 55. That pretty well sucks! I can see it if you are riding motorcycle at 75+, but 60 - WTF

Archived