The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Insurance quotes, rates and reviews

Cruizin

Here are a couple different quotes I got ONLINE from Progressive:

25 / Male / California / No "At-Fault" Accidents, New motorcycle driver, MSF and AMA discounts included

2bb0f880a44041cd8b0337bf61744568.png

96ddc68c1c524b24b87a7bd85eeb1682.png

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have progressive. For a full year I got $1,300. $1000 comp/coll deductibles. Basic full coverage pretty much. Sacramento, California, 21, with a completely clean driving record with 1 year motorcycle experience (MSF within 3 years) on a brand new 2016 model. Expensive, but could be worse. Probably should have shopped around more. Progressive seems to always have the best online quotes in this area.

The dealership that I bought my bike from recommended Adventure Quote. They take your info and bid it out to other insurance companies. I ended up with Dairyland insurance. Never heard of them but it's only costing me $400 for the year full coverage. Plus, they insure up to $5000 in accessories and free towing.

State Farm full coverage 100/300
2015 fz07 29 year old male $37 per month.

I pay $270 a month to State Farm for 2015 vw gti, 1995 twin turbo Toyota Supra, and 2015 fz07 all with full coverage. And also a life insurance policy included

copamundial

Just got a few quotes from my Allstate agent to compare a few bikes against one another.
The variation between them makes no sense to me. At various times I have thought that they might use displacement, other times I've thought they went by 'sportiness', and then other times I thought maybe they went by original purchase price.
This has me scratching my head.

2016 Honda CB500F = $595.25 / year
2016 Honda CB500X = $595.25 / year
2016 Yamaha FZ-07 = $554.51 / year
2016 Triumph Street Triple = $502.06 / year

2015 FZ-07 White: Penske 8900E shock & spring, Spiegler Stainless brake lines, Woodcraft clip-ons, engine guards and frame sliders.

othgbronco82

I'm at $57-ish a month from State Farm with full coverage. It was going to be close to $300 a month until we added the cars to the plan too. That's for a 21 year old that had his permit. Geico can suck my left nut though. They wanted like $500 a month for full coverage. I just laughed and closed the window.

I guess there should be two separate threads for the US and Canada as the rates in the latter are ridiculous.
I have been riding a motorcycle for almost 10 years but none so far in Canada/ Toronto GTA and that pushed the rates to $2800/year.

However, i got a really good quote from a broker underwritten by RSA for $136/month and dropping to nearly $110 with more than 1 year clean record.

$330 annually through Liberty Mutual. I'm 29 y/o with less than a year of official riding experience, 100 / 300 limits , MSF discount, multi-policy discount and a few other discounts. No tickets or other driving violations. I remember GEICO and Progressive were absolutely ridiculous coming in at around $900 and $1,100 respectively. Shop around is all I can say and re-shop every 6 months or so. It's annoying, but it's more annoying wasting your money.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Progressive and i pay $120 a month for full coverage on my bike. 24, no tickets. This was the cheapest for me. Geico wanted 360 a month and Statefarm wanted 340.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

29, married, no accidents/violations on my record in the last 5 years. Paying $60 for full coverage, $100 comprehensive and $250 collision with Allstate. Also got their "gold policy" that pays out money/etc when in a wreck and can't return to work right away.

We also have two cars, a house, and two life insurance policies through them.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

Used 2016
Dairyland full year 25/50 for $1040 without collision
$1000 deductable with MSF, defensive driving and HOG discount (joined HOG just so i can get a discount on insurance, $30 fee to save $300)
22, NYC 2 years riding experience clean record. bike got vandalized last night, wish i went for the $100 deductible for a couple hundred dollars more

I don't get how mine is higher than some of you guys who have similar stats to me

Im 28, California, single, msf, and the cheapest I found is Geico for like $80 a month. Which doesn't break the bank, I'm fine with that, but damn some of you are at like $50!

• Global Moderator

It seems like California riders pay a lot more than those of us in other states. I am not sure why but I am sure the insurance companies have stats to back it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I just switched from Geico to Dairyland.
Geico could not match the price here in NYC.
I'm 43yr old Married Male with 10 yrs riding, no accidents/violations on my record

Geico went from $280 without Comprehensive to $1268.00 for adding Comprehensive to my policy.

This is what I had with Geico $280/yr:
Coverages
2015 YAMAHA FZ-07
Bodily Injury $25,000/$50,000
Property Damage $10,000
Statutory Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury $25,000/$50,000
Personal Injury Protection Basic

This is what I have now with Dairyland $640/yr:
Coverages
2015 YAMAHA FZ-07
Bodily Injury $25,000/$50,000
Guest Passenger Liability Included in Bodily Injury
Property Damage $25,000
Statutory Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury $25,000/$50,000
Mandatory Personal Injury Protection $50,000 Included
Comprehensive Deductible $500
Optional Equipment/Special Equipment $3,000 Included

Now I can have piece of mind when I'm parked outside....LOL

I don't get how mine is higher than some of you guys who have similar stats to me 
Im 28, California, single, msf, and the cheapest I found is Geico for like $80 a month. Which doesn't break the bank, I'm fine with that, but damn some of you are at like $50!
Mine is down that low because my dad has two cars that I'm a driver on with statefarm too. Multi car policy discount, plus the msf course. Initially it was like $75, then $35, and has now leveled off at $57-ish.

I went with State Farm. I'm 21 years old, with a totaled car on my record and I'm only paying $22/month for liability.

Currently have Foremost and it is $107 per month (don't feel like typing the coverage). Decided I'd get a quote from Geico because I just switched my auto to them, and they were $536 per month for the exact same coverage!

How can two companies be so far apart?

• Premium Member
Currently have Foremost and it is $107 per month (don't feel like typing the coverage). Decided I'd get a quote from Geico because I just switched my auto to them, and they were $536 per month for the exact same coverage! 
Wow that is a huge jump from $107, I left Geico recently because they were too high for thief coverage. When speaking to a rep she tells me to call back in a year they might have better rates then...lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Different company's have estimated the risk from two different sets of data (each with their own records of the same bike) and their methodologies are probably a little different too.
You've seen Fight Club, blame the actuaries.

• 1 month later...

Man, I am paying out the ass compared to what most of you guys are paying. I'm 36, no tickets in the last 10 years, live in California and I am paying $180 a month for full coverage with a $1000 deductible. My insurance is through McGraw. I shopped around allot too and this was the lowest I could find. The only one that I could actually afford. Progressive wanted like $3000 up front, and Geico wanted $350ish a month. The factors which caused mine to be so high is that the bike is brand spankin new, it has a 689cc motor, and I am a new rider. I only have my learners permit now, and I haven't taken the MSF yet. So hopefully next year after I have some experience and my actual M1 endorsement it should be lower. I may actually be able to switch to an insurance company that people have actually heard of and not have to sign over my first born child to do so.

State Farm (California) 
31/Male/no accidents

Bodily Injury: $100,000 per person /$300,000 per occurrence
Property Damage: $50,000

Comprehension $500 deductible
Collision $500 deductible

Uninsured Motorist: $100,000 per person /$300,000 per occurrence
Underinsured Motorist: $100,000 per person /$300,000 per occurrence

Costs me about $75/month
$447.72 total for 6 months

If anyone has anything better for the California area, please let me know!
Wanted to update this rating as I have moved to Austin, TX and stayed with State Farm.

Stats:
31 years old, male, married
MSF course in last 3 years, no at-fault accidents or tickets
6-month policy is bundled with a car and home owners policies
DatzX6r.png

You do you and I'll do me.

• Cruizin unpinned this topic

Archived