The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Insurance quotes, rates and reviews

Cruizin

So, after seeing the comments about Dairyland I decided to get a quote from them; I will be switching to them after my current policy ends (it was paid in full for the year with Progressive at a price of $!,000). I have 1 year of riding experience and 1 accident. Dairyland quoted me $765 for the year...just for fun, I tried a quote with Geico as well and was quoted north of $2,400 - what a joke! All quotes were with $1,000 deductible. I am blown away by the difference in price...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I considered not getting collision too but it was only $20 a year cheaper. It seemed silly not to get it at that price.
For that much it would be a no brainer for me. The difference for me was about $300 for a $500 deductible to cover collision.
For me I went from $27/month to $30/month to lower my deductible from $500 to $250, full coverage.

I wonder if this is new/young rider surcharge or if the FZ07 is "mis-classified"? I pay $1200/yr for 5 bikes and 2 of them are Aprilia Tuono/Mille. Rest are motards and SV650s. Geico. Used to have Progressive, and USAA was ridiculous for bikes. They basically don't want to insure them. Lot of people have decent results from State Farm because they (used to) classify rates based on displacement with little regard for "type" of bike. 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

USAA doesn't want anything to do with bikes. That's why when they quit insuring them, they passed them on to Progressive.

Im in cali 28 perfect driving record was looking around at progressive gieco other places all wanted about 100$ a month called state farm 67$ a month try state farm if you havent.

USAA doesn't want anything to do with bikes. That's why when they quit insuring them, they passed them on to Progressive.

I've had USAA for a long time so I was apprehensive of using Progressive for bike insurance but they gave me a damn good rate; $125 for the year.

My jaw dropped last year when adding the FZ to my Aprilia would cost another $700 - the most I've ever spent to insure any vehicle ever and that includes a nearly $17k, K1100RS BMW who's belly pan alone would cost $1200 to replace.

I just got my renewal from Progressive - it went down $200 (22%) from last year! Considering that the Aprilia was only $200 by itself, that means much of the decrease came from the FZ's half of the policy. Maybe they've figured out they had this bike categorized wrong.

Good news for a change.

• Global Moderator

I just got my renewal from State Farm. $220 for the year. That is less than last year. I am not sure if that is because I turned fifty, have a year more experience or they have more data on the FZ-07. It is probably a combination of all three.

im 52 and I pay the same as you $220 for the year and I had no experience riding

• Premium Member

I use Geico $286 a year but no comprehensive and no collision $25k/$50K, I'm in NYC
Considering getting comprehensive but it jumps to $1,090 a year OUCH THAT IS A HUGE JUMP!!

Man... I need to shop around. I had to get full coverage since the FZ is financed. Ended up with Dairyland and it's about $1300 for the year. Progressive (who covered liability only on my last bike (bought outright)) wanted $1800/year on the FZ. I'm 30 with no violations or accidents in the last ~10 years.

This thread is nearly entirely useless without the location information of each person. I'm paying $59 a month for full coverage with Dairyland which was the best I could find at any company. I'm just outside of Philadelphia.

> entirely useless without the location information of each person

And age, driving history, household net worth, employment history, rent vs own, apartment vs town/row vs single-family, driver-age children, etc. *grin*

As to geo, well that's what the memer map push pins are for...

I dare say that there are a few companies that have the bike mis-categorized. It should be in the same price bracket as the SV650/Ninja 650/Versys et. al.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Generally, the bigger the city, the more expensive the insurance as it's more likely to be stolen or banged into one way or another. . I could move 5 miles across the city line here and my rates would go down.

Last year the bike was so new, Progressive did not even have it listed. The only went by the VIN. And yeah, they definitely categorized it wrong - all based on the FZ (sportbike) moniker. Even the Street Triple R with 50% more power and cost would have cost less to insure.

Speaking of names - it wouldn't surprise me if the 650 Ninja costs well more than the 650 Versys, based just on the name, Ninja.

Even with my rates going down over 20% this year, it's still too much for a $7k motorcycle. And I get many of their discounts for home owner, safe driver, decades of rider experience etc ( guess, if after 45 years of riding, I took the MSF course, I'd get another break in cost). They're also giving no love to my Futura in that policy. Probably wouldn't even give me 50% of KBB value.

The 650 Ninja actually is an EX650 in line with the EX250/500 nomenclature. So a savvy insurance company wouldn't lump it into the ZX family. but when hasn't an insurance company made an "innocent" mistake in order to over-charge their customers...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

My '08 Triumph 675 Striple cost less to insure than this thing, and that was way sportier with a higher top end. It makes no sense. I'm with State Farm in MN and I'm 41. I don't understand their mentality other than gouging good customers because of idiot squid habits that screw the rest of us when they crash and burn.

The same insurance companies have history with the FZ series so there shouldn't be any confusion. The mid-80's FZ600/750/700 were decent sportbikes of the era but nekid or 1/2 fairing. It's as if somebody decided to rewrite the rule book for FZ07 == YZF07. I'm curious what the rates are for the FZ6 anf FZ6R and whether there are large deviations.

You can appeal the rating to your agent/customer service and they *might* do something about it. Or it might never get classified correctly. Just take your business elsewhere I guess.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I just got my full coverage insurance switched over from Dairyland ($1300/year) to Foremost ($800/year).

So my first bike I got through dealer A, and they also are a Progressive agent. I had liability on that bike through them through Progressive. I got the FZ through dealer B. I called A to drop the old bike and add the FZ, the best she could find was that $1300 Dairyland policy. $1k deductible, "bare bones" comprehensive. So then I saw this thread and decided to call dealer B to see if I could get some better rates, they gave me the number to someone they work with all the time. That guy found not only a policy for me at $800/year with Foremost, but he even came back with a $900/year quote for Dairyland! He said he was surprised that's the best dealer A could get with the same provider, has no idea how they arrived at such a high premium. When I called A to cancel the $1.3k Dairyland policy she asked why, I told her, and she was shocked at how much lower the premium was, and even more surprised when I told her about the $900/year Dairyland premium he was able to quote. Lesson learned: it pays to shop around. 2nd lesson learned: insurance coverage and how they arrive at their price is dumb.

The guy also explained to me the reasoning behind a few of the questions they typically have to ask. Such as: do you own a home? are you married? Because insurance companies figure if you are married and/or own a home you are (according to them) more likely to be careful on a motorcycle. With the flip side being that if you are single and don't own a home the only obvious conclusion is that you will ride like a maniac... Absolutely ridiculous blanket generalization, but whaddya gonna do.

I just read an article that Michigan had some time ago made it that drivers' insurance must cover the total of the injured party's costs for perpetuity and without assigning fault. The state gov't expressly allows doctors/hospitals to charge and get re-imbursed 3X for procedures entered into under an "auto accident" versus what they are allowed to recover if it was non-auto related. The mayor of Detroit just recently tried to get some legislation to alleviate the situation in Detroit since it's killing any chance of people coming back.

So if you live in MI, now you know why your rates are absolutely insane compared to the rest of the country. What the State legislature did is actually a Federal crime! Not to mention flagrant violation of the Sherman and Clayton acts, aka USC 15.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150720/us--detroit-driving_dirty-fdc2997f42.html

And now, back to your regularly scheduled rate comparisons...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I am 25 and live in Austin TX. I only had 8 months of previous insurance under my name, a clean driving record, and 12 years of on road riding experience (lie). My 1 year full coverage premium with a $500 deductible through Foremost came out to $1,105.00

I rejected the uninsured motorists bodily injury coverage because it would of raised my premium by a substantial amount.

I'm glad I found this thread. I just switched from AllState where I was paying ~$950 a year for full coverage to Dairyland where it's $340 for full coverage with $100/$100 deductibles. Married male, own my own house, but i have 0 years of riding experience (just took the MSF class).

Ok, before you all tell me I'm full of it, let me start with the fact that I'm 48 years old with a clean driving record and a daughter that is an independent insurance agent. I have my home, boat, three cars and another bike all with Acuity Insurance. Last August, when I bought my FZ, Acuity wouldn't even insure it because they considered any "FZ" model Yamaha as a sport bike. My daughter recommended that I go with Progressive for one year and then check back with Acuity after they had some time to collect some data on the new bike. Well, sure enough, in August I will be moving my FZ's coverage from Progressive ($578 per year with $500 ded) and onto my Acuity policy. And get this -- my over-all monthly insurance payment will increase by only $10 per month -- That's full coverage with $250 deductible for only $120 per year! I'm pretty stoked about that!! I guess sometimes it pays to be an old geezer. Now if I can just keep my driving record clean ....

• 2 weeks later...
crescentwrench

American Adventure Insurance

Three speeding tix in car still on record (no reckless, and no moto violations)

Above minimum coverage plus comprehensive

10 yrs riding experience

Two motorcycle safety foundation courses

Married (this usually makes a difference)

Less than $800/yr - which is excellent considering my asinine auto antics...

• Cruizin unpinned this topic

Archived