The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Insurance quotes, rates and reviews

Cruizin

31, first bike, clean driving record otherwise. 407 for the year through progressive. Full coverage. That is on a plan with a Polaris ranger I have. With the bike on its own I was quoted 703 for a year

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JuggernautOfWar

Oregon resident
Dairyland Motorcycle
Full coverage including theft
23 year old male with 0 citations on record
I pay $605.88 for 12 months of coverage

I found out about this company and chose this policy though a small insurance agency in my hometown. The next cheapest rate was Progressive at about 2x the cost of Dairyland, and in my experience Dairyland has been a better company too.

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

Guest ChicagoAJ

I can't believe how much most of you guys/gals are paying. I thought $266 a year was a lot for full coverage. Guess I'll be very happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...
603nytroxtx

Not sure I believed the hype about Dairyland until I just quoted and subsequently switched over to them.....All I can say is WOW. Amazing Coverage for $25 month.

Coverage Detail
Coverages
2015 YAMAHA FZ-07 689CC
Bodily Injury $100,000/$300,000
Guest Passenger Liability Included in Bodily Injury
Property Damage $100,000
Uninsured Motorist
Bodily Injury $100,000/$300,000
Medical Payments $2,000
Comprehensive Deductible $100
Collision Deductible $100
Optional Equipment/
Special Equipment $5,000
Excursion Diversion Yes
Rental Reimbursement $45 ($1,350 max)
Replacement Cost No Coverage
Roadside Assistance No Coverage
Total by Motorcycle $300.72
Total Premium $300.72

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
michaelcly

68 yr old, North FL, Progressive, $246 (50k, $100 comp, 1,000 collision), Clean record. No medical—I have Medicare and a part F supplemental so I have no need for it. 

I got Progressive through USAA who has my auto. I noticed when I changed the sign up question on how much liability my auto policy had, it changed the MC insurance quote. In Florida you can opt out of Uninsured Motorist coverage. I think that means medical coverage if you are in an accident with an uninsured motorist. I don't need any more medical coverage so I opted out.

Happy, happy, happy

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

Got a quote from Dairyland for a premium of $347.00.  Shot that to my agent and asked if Progressive would get close to it on this renewal.

Dairyland01.jpg

I tried to come as close to my current coverage as possible, but Dairyland doesn't seem to go as high, as my agent tried to explain:

Good morning John,

Dairyland does not offer high liability at all and without that liability you could be opening up yourself for a possible lawsuit in case of an accident. And the medical as well. One accident on a motorcycle can easily exceed the $5,000 medical payments.
As for the Uninsured Motorist Property damage – this is the coverage we would use if the party that hits you does not have insurance. This would be the coverage to pay for the Motorcycle (and in the event of a total loss you would have up to $25,000 to replace the bike rather than Dairylands quote of $7,500).

Progressives premium may be higher, BUT there is more coverage with Progressive than Dairyland’s quote. And when it comes to claims Progressive handles claims out of this world quick, not sure about Dairyland’s.

FZPolicy02.jpg

My first response is, "How much damage can I cause to someone else (not my passenger) on a motorcycle?" Secondly, "Why would I need more than $7,500 for a total loss?" But, I do agree that $5,000 medical is pretty low. In case of an accident that's my fault, would I just snag the $5,000, then look to my own health insurance coverage to take care of the rest? In my case, I may be out of pocket quite a bit before hitting my annual cap.

I'm leaning toward going with Dairyland to save that $200 per year.  But, if Progressive can close that gap, maybe it wouldn't be worth it.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Morning br4nd0n,

59 years old, and May 19th will be the anniversary of

I knew being a newb would raise the rate, but I figured buying from my current agency, whom I've been with for decades, could cut me a deal.  Really was shocked at having to cough up $50 per month.  She got it down to $45, but that's a hard pill to swallow.

My biggest concern is having an accident, that's my fault, and being hurt to the point where I can't work.  Medical bills on top of that would be a killer.  Even $10,000 coverage isn't much when you look at the costs of most medical procedures.  Checked my health coverage, and it looks like I'd have about a $3,000 cap to meet before it kicks in.  Closest I could get to a catastrophic health plan, which is what I really want.

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Don't feel too bad, I'm in an even worse situation. I'm 28 and just got my motorcycle license in September 2015. That makes it a nightmare for me to find good coverage at a reasonable price even though I have a clean record. I'm currently still searching because the premiums I'm getting quoted for, on anything decent, would pay for a brand new motorcycle in a few years. That's just ridiculous!

Hmmm, just got a quote from Progressive:

Q6926XXXXX.jpg
                Q6926XXXX2.jpg

See any difference from my current Progressive coverage below?  I put an activate date of 5-17-2016, and it's calling that the "Quote Date", but I just had that quote made a few minutes ago.

FZPolicy02.jpg

My agent has some 'splainin' to do!

Edit:  I've been playing with the quote, and the "Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury" is the number to play with that really effects the bottom line.  If I remove that coverage altogether, it drops the premium to $166 per year.

I also notice there is a Transfer/Prior Insurance Discount.  I won't actually be entitled to that, whatever its value is.

Edit II:  Found the difference.  I have "Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist" (300CSL, $282.00 premium) as well as "Uninsured Motorist Property Damage" (25 /$250 SM, $8.00 premium).

So, I now see why the huge disparity between all the premiums being paid by everybody.  The number one highest charge is for Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist.  The next highest is for Medical Payments.  Raise, lower or remove those coverages to make your premium anything you want!

Don't feel too bad, I'm in an even worse situation. I'm 28 and just got my motorcycle license in September 2015. That makes it a nightmare for me to find good coverage at a reasonable price even though I have a clean record. I'm currently still searching because the premiums I'm getting quoted for, on anything decent, would pay for a brand new motorcycle in a few years. That's just ridiculous!
Hey Brandon! 
How much do you get quoted?
I can't believe how expensive I get quoted! I am 27 years old and have a clean record. I have 11 years of riding experience.

I tried Dairyland with a 2015 FZ-07 (I don't have one yet). Full coverage on the bike and the minimum required by law for medical expenses puts me at a shocking $1,881.70 per year!!!!

Anybody has any idea why it is so expensive?

U4svVx4.png

Remove the collision (not required by your state, but necessary if there's a lean on the bike), and you're down to $700. The rest must be due to your age or driving record.

Yes, it is a lot better without collision but still a lot more than most people who have posted in this thread.

It's probably because of my age. I feel like anybody younger than 30 years old get the most expensive quotes as they are the most common cases of "speeding, showing off, being irresponsible" in their data. Which kinda sucks because I drive motorcycles like a grandpa in the city and I'm a pretty safe and responsible person

I just sent this quote to my agent to put in place before the Progressive policy renews on the 18th:

Progressive_Quote-4.jpg

That could be as little as $407 if paid in one lump.

As I mentioned before, I'm basically paying for an entire extra policy, in the event that somebody with inadequate, or no insurance at all, is at fault for injuring me.  That's almost $250 yearly I could pocket if all others were as responsible as me!  There's also the risk of being hit by someone who takes off and doesn't get caught.  You have to be covered for that as well.  There goes $250!

I'm also coughing up $84 for coverage I didn't have last year, for income loss coverage.  That $250 will supplement the meager amount I'd currently receive from my employer for short term disability:

Enhanced injury protection

If you’re injured and can’t work, we’ll pay you up to $250 each and every week for two straight years. We’ll also add built-in life insurance to this, so if you’re in a fatal accident, we’ll pay your beneficiaries $25,000.

I also added roadside assistance for $10 in case I drop the bike and disable it.  That's as likely to happen as anything else.

bmwpowere36m3

You just have to shop around…. I have a dairyland policy with collision in New England, 30yrs old, no accidents or tickets, own home, MSF course $600 a year. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason. My policy isn't much more due to collision, maybe $200.

Its also best to call… sometimes the online policy generators are bogus. Not to mention those coverages are terrible (15/30/10k)… you really should be looking in the 100-300K for bodily and 50k+ for property.

Hell, maybe he should just ride around without insurance like so many others.  Seems like everybody who does, manages to skate on responsibility for the damage they cause.

Believe me, I know. That describes more people than you think. The pisser is, these leaches suffer no consequences for this crap. I think sterilization would be a good start...

Well, I guess I'll be dealing with Progressive Direct from here on out:
[em]John,

According to the quote you went to Progressive Direct and quoted the renewal. Progressive Direct and Agency Progressive are two different entities believe it or not. I did make the changes to your renewal as requested in the quote and this reduces your premium from $569.00 to $516.00. Please advise if you wish to move forward with these changes (this premium does NOT match what Progressive Direct quoted)[/em]

• Global Moderator

Progressive is meh... theyve been dragging their feet for weeks by trying to avoid covering my accident.
i need to shop around soon... this is jilling me not riding

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

You just have to shop around…. I have a dairyland policy with collision in New England, 30yrs old, no accidents or tickets, own home, MSF course $600 a year. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason. My policy isn't much more due to collision, maybe $200. 
Its also best to call… sometimes the online policy generators are bogus. Not to mention those coverages are terrible (15/30/10k)… you really should be looking in the 100-300K for bodily and 50k+ for property.
Unfortunately I don't get the MSF course discount (I took it more than 5 years ago)

If I could get nothing for bodily injury, I would as I have my own insurance covering for medical bills. That's why I went with the cheapest possible.

And $10k for property seems more than enough. I don't see how I could cause damage worth more than $10k with a motorcycle (unless I crash into a Rolls Royce at 120mph going on the opposite side of a freeway :P  )

Besides I'm very responsible (I do wish to live for years to come since I'm only 27) so I am not likely to cause a great amount of damage

bmwpowere36m3
Unfortunately I don't get the MSF course discount (I took it more than 5 years ago) 
If I could get nothing for bodily injury, I would as I have my own insurance covering for medical bills. That's why I went with the cheapest possible.

And $10k for property seems more than enough. I don't see how I could cause damage worth more than $10k with a motorcycle (unless I crash into a Rolls Royce at 120mph going on the opposite side of a freeway :P  )

Besides I'm very responsible (I do wish to live for years to come since I'm only 27) so I am not likely to cause a great amount of damage
First, bodily injury covers the person YOU hurt in an accident… not yourself.  Usually there's a separate "medical bills" or something along those lines that covers yourself.  Since I have good health insurance, like yourself, I chose not to pay extra (already covered).  Second, 10k in property damage is nothing nowadays.  Consider a multi-vehicle accident, newer car, etc…  This isn't totally relevant, but a co-worker had an accident with his car in the winter (slid down hill, maybe 30 mph) and hit THREE vehicles.  He was at fault and I believe his insurance was barely enough if not to cover damages.

Their called accidents and nobody plans on them.  I think many of us feel we are "responsible", but stuff happens and people are sue-happy.

It pays to be covered since the cost of increased coverage typically isn't much extra.  Comprehensive usually is a bigger increase…. besides the basic costs associated with your age, motorcycle type, location, record, etc…  Also if you own anything of value… good insurance is only more important, unless you want to put those items on the line in a possible suit.

• 1 month later...

State Farm (California)

31/Male/no accidents

Bodily Injury: $100,000 per person /$300,000 per occurrence
Property Damage: $50,000

Comprehension $500 deductible
Collision $500 deductible

Uninsured Motorist: $100,000 per person /$300,000 per occurrence
Underinsured Motorist: $100,000 per person /$300,000 per occurrence

Costs me about $75/month
$447.72 total for 6 months

If anyone has anything better for the California area, please let me know!

You do you and I'll do me.

Farmers Ins. (Texas)
22/Male/No accidents
$110 per month/ full coverage

BODILY INJURY PROTECTION 30,000/60,000
PASSENGER LIABILITY 30,000/60,000
PROPERTY DAMAGE COVERAGE 25,000
UNIS & UNDERINS COVERAGE 30,000/60,000
UNINSD/UNDERINSD MTRST PD 25,000

$500 deductibles

babisstinson

Interlife Insurance, 2 weeks ago: 110 euros total for 6 months. 30 y.o./Male/No accidents

Bodily Injury: 2,000 per person
Property Damage: 2,000 per occurrence
Riding Aid when needed
Legal Advice

• Cruizin unpinned this topic

Archived