The MT-07 Forum

Messenger Bag Questions w/ Bonus Tiny Video!

ornery

Are messenger bags out of vogue?  Were they ever in?  Does anyone here bother with them, or are backpacks the only way to go?

I was on my way to Walmart in search of one, and had this genius motorist following me:

[video src=https://youtu.be/ABzxxFL32T8]

Walmart had zero messenger bags, so I went to Dick's Sporting Goods.  The 20 year old gal I asked for directions to their messenger bags, didn't even know what I was talking about!  I've never used a backpack, but I'm used to lugging a camera bag around.  Is a messenger bag too much like a "men's purse"?

131455.jpg

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

The kriega bag looks nice. If you aren't opposed to online shopping, check out Maxpedition. They make some really awesome, extremely durable packs and have a lot of messenger bags.

I personally was never a fan of single strap bags, but nothing against 'em.

Everything went braap.

I just use a bag with draw strings and I hold it down with a cargo net that I attach to the straps under the passenger seat. If it rains I put everything in a plastic bag.  It's a very cheap solution as I can't stand wearing backpacks. And yeah the messenger bag kind of does look like a man purse. ;)

At the moment, I bungee my lunch to the tail inside plastic shopping bags. I'm curious what there is to bungee to, when the Fender Eliminator Kit is added? I also do tooling pickup runs at work, and can only stuff so much in my pockets. A tail bag would be OK until the bike has to be left unattended. When I run into a store, I already have to lug my helmet around, so whatever bag or backpack I get, can't be too cumbersome.

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I remember messenger bags were popular with the bicycling crowd, and still are.

I have used both a messenger bag and backpack. A messenger bag is good for when you need to access your bag without taking it off. If you don't need to access the stuff you are holding until you are off the bike a backpack works find.

I think a backpack in general is more useful and easier to carry.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I have a nice leather messenger bag for work, backpack for when I ride. After moving to Thailand I have fully adopted a satchel/man purse. So fucking handy.

• Premium Member

I have a Kriega 20 and a messenger bag, and a backpack. When I'm commuting I mainly use the messenger bag. It's much easier on/off than a backpack, and easier to get stuff in and out too. I've got one that has a stabilizer strap across the bottom so it doesn't swing around freely once buckled up.
It is definitely the most convenient of the 3. I use the backpack when I need to haul more stuff. I use the Kriega for longer rides when I don't want anything strapped to me, but I never use it as a messenger bag or backpack.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

I've always thought a messenger bag was just a murse, but that's just me -- and I am in my mid/late 40's, so what do I know? :) When I need to carry stuff I ride with an Ogio Mach 5 backpack.

I have a nice leather messenger bag for work, backpack for when I ride. After moving to Thailand I have fully adopted a satchel/man purse. So f@#%ing handy.
Honestly, men need "purses" more than women, maybe I should just use my tool belt!  Picture that, walking through a store carrying a helmet (w/ GoPro no less) and a tool belt full of every day carry knives, flashlights, Leatherman, sunglasses, microfiber towels, detailing spray and room for everything you'll be buying from the store at that time.  I guess the pouches better be the size of saddle bags! ;-| 

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I see messenger bags frequently in the metro SF area. Mostly on bicycles but sometimes on motorcycles and scooters.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I see messenger bags frequently in the metro SF area...
OK, that tears it.  I'll get a backpack! :P 

• Premium Member

Haha @wingnutted beat me to the Chrome reference. They have some pretty cool backpacks too.

+1 for Kriega

I currently just use hiking backpacks I've found at sporting good stores. The one I use now is from Columbia. Has a vent in the back so I don't get so hot, chest strap (has a waist one too but I don't use it), and multiple compartments to hold all my art stuff and lunches upright. I just sewed on a bit more reflective strips onto it for night riding.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Thanks for the Kriega recommendations. It does sound like I can make it work. Could someone fill me in on living with the US-20? If I take my bag full of lunch etc. out to the bike, I merely snap four latches, right? But, what if the bag was empty when I removed it? That means I need to loosen the four straps to accommodate the thicker bag? When I arrive, I release the four clips and cart the bag in using a carry strap. Where is that strap stored? Are the straps left on the bike able to be walked off with? If I want to ride without the bag, do those straps need to tucked away, under the rear seat for example?

• Premium Member

It's a little bit of a pain, and that's why I use a messenger bag for commuting. There are 4 straps that clip to the straps attached under the pillion seat. They are bolted / riveted to the seat, so no one can walk off with them. The hook straps are easy to loosen/tighten/adjust, so it doesn't really matter whether the bag is empty/full. Just loosen enough to hook onto the pillion seat straps, hook them in, then pull till snug. The excess can be clipped under some plastic clips attached to each strap. To remove, just loosen enough to unhook the clips. To keep them out of the way, you can hook them back up to matching straps on the bottom of the bag, or remove them and throw them in the strap storage compartment on the bottom. The carrying strap is in a zip pouch on the bottom too. You really don't the carrying strap though unless you are carrying it around. Just grab the bag by the front/center strap that keeps it closed. There are lot's of options, and you don't need to tuck the pillion seat straps away under the seat unless you want to. They don't really stick out very far.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
Thanks for the Kriega recommendations. It does sound like I can make it work. Could someone fill me in on living with the US-20? If I take my bag full of lunch etc. out to the bike, I merely snap four latches, right? But, what if the bag was empty when I removed it? That means I need to loosen the four straps to accommodate the thicker bag? When I arrive, I release the four clips and cart the bag in using a carry strap. Where is that strap stored? Are the straps left on the bike able to be walked off with? If I want to ride without the bag, do those straps need to tucked away, under the rear seat for example?
I would be hard to explain without a video but yeah you will have to adjust the 4 straps pretty much every time you take it off and put it on, not as much as of hassle as it sounds. As for the straps being stored, there are little latches you hook the straps to the bag that would otherwise would just left on the bike unless you are not planning on taking the Kriega with you. I always leave the straps on the bike (if I have the Kriega on me) since I don't foresee anyone stealing random straps unless they have a Kriega and they need them. In general you won't regret it I promise. 

Kriega US20 vs Givi Soft Panniers review
by James Madelin

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmIyVhxVMr4]

Anybody got a Kriega coupon or promotion code? :)

I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the US20. As far as I can tell, Revzilla has the best price. I gotta snag the "Kriega Clips", but I can't find them at Revzilla. I sure don't want to pay extra shipping after coughing up so much already. I assume those clips don't come with the bag, right? It's a lot of money, but I'm getting tired of using bungee cord and shopping bags to haul stuff. That cost will fade from memory the more I use it.

Oh great, just found this, "Sorry but this item is currently unavailable."

Without those clips, the deal is off. I'll keep hunting...

Edit: Should have just read a little further:

Not required for new US packs, which are all supplied with Alloy Hook Straps. All straps should be removed from the bike (back-off tension at quick-release clips and unhook from subframe loops) while still attached to the pack (US-20 / 30 have web loops on base to secure hooks when carrying the pack).

Pulled the trigger:

Hi John,

Thanks for your order placed June 10, 2015, with RevZilla. We will let you know when your order ships with a separate shipment notification email. Pretty easy, huh? Congratulations on your good decision.

yes .. you adjust the 4 straps to snug it to the bike.  It uses the stock tabs that are under the seat to connect to.  When you remove the pack, you release the 4 clips.  The should strap fits in either of the 2 zipped compartments on the kriega. I have can fit a small laptop, lunch, extra gloves and still have a bit if room.  The straps can be left on the bike or simply slip them off and take them with you.  They are "s" hooks; would take you 10 seconds.  I leave mine on at work but I'm in a secured garage.  You never need to un latch the seat.  The stock seat tabs dont hand out very much and are unobtrusive.

Well, I've had the US-20 for a couple days now, and LOVE IT! I never would have dreamed a "bag" could be so engineered. I'd call it a system. Easily works as the messenger bag I originally wanted, plus hooks up to the bike in seconds. I can remove it instantly with the clasps, or completely remove all the straps with it, in way less than a minute. Gobs of room inside and my rain gear fits in the outer bottom compartment nicely. I used it today even though I didn't ride. I think it will be with me everyday from here on out.

Thanks loads for all the recommendations, clarifications and confirmations of its worth!

Archived