The MT-07 Forum

Engine light blipping in neutral and clutch

kupeyloop

Hey all,

The last two days I've been getting the check engine light flashing when I disengage the clutch and when left in neutral. I would hear a high pitched whirring like the radiator fan was on, but it would not be on.

The solution was to shake a bit of dry graphite lube under the ignition kill switch. The all in one starter switch we have operates in this sequence:
Off/kill--run-(engage)-start/kick.

The zone on the switch between run and start, the starter engages electronically with the flywheel and begins to spin. All it needs is to be a hair past the run position for it to lock with the flywheel, which means it was engaged while I was operating the bike. I noticed I got RPM sapping and power surge at 9k rpms. Once I ensured the switch was fully off the tactile contact point for engaging and fully on the "run" position, the starter would turn off and the idle rpms would return to normal and all engine check lights disappear.

Please use this as a keep in mind to be careful with our slick all in one kill switch. All it takes is a gentle hair past run for it to engage the starter.

bmwpowere36m3
Your starter button was sticking for some reason?
Saw a YouTube video of the same "issue", the user was called ...."something Russian". As he was riding the bike he got a blinking check engine light. Turns out, his starter button was sticking as well. He pulled over, wiggled/jiggled it and it was back to normal. 

Yeah, your starter will stick and you will hear the whirring of it spinning while it engages with the flywheel. It does impact drivability and performance.

bmwpowere36m3
Yeah, your starter will stick and you will hear the whirring of it spinning while it engages with the flywheel. It does impact drivability and performance.
Leaving the starter engaged while the bike is running is a sure way to kill your starter... glad you caught it.

kerist! what a totally unnecessary f'up by Yamaha. The industry standard controls have been the same for what, 30 years? And don't have this problem.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest Ralph

Strange thing is the MT-125 as standard switch gear that looks much better so why fit something that
looks like it came from a 1970's moped but doesn't work as well is a bit strange on a more expensive bike.

• 1 year later...
603nytroxtx

I just had this happen to me on last nights ride. I pulled over to take my sunglasses off and when I started the bike back up I didn't check the starter position. As I started shifting I would notice that the lights would dim every time I pulled the clutch in. Next I noticed the check engine light was on when the clutch was in or the bike was in neutral. I rode like this for probably 20 minutes before having that "oh s***" moment and pushed the starter back up. The only reason I even figured it out is because I had it stick this winter and it ruined my starter relay. I need a way to fix this ASAP. I tried the graphite solution as well as some other teflon solutions but clearly they didn't work. I'm thinking about taking the whole assembly apart and seeing if i can file/grind some plastic pieces down to reduce tension. What do you guys think?

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

Guest Ralph

Took mine to bits and lubed it been ok since but
why they did not fit stuff that works like they
have for years is beyond me.

603nytroxtx
Took mine to bits and lubed it been ok since but why they did not fit stuff that works like they
have for years is beyond me.
Any way to get a different spring in there? Something a bit stronger would probably do well.  

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

Guest Ralph

The spring is reasonably strong mines been fine since over 6000 miles
you may be able to change it but it's been to long since I did it to
remember.

• 3 years later...

I had the same I ssue with the sticky switch, I striped it and cleaned it all down. I didn’t lube it with anything. It seemed to work better without any grease at all.