The MT-07 Forum

Joining the club, from LA

roadrunner

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This would be a great bike for you! You have past riding experience and a few more years of maturity since then. Take the safety class. One thing about motorcycling is to never think you know it all. Good motorcyclists who want to live keep learning and honing their skills. I'm in the SF bay area and while it's not as crazy as LA, we def have our LA days! This bike slips through traffic so easily and has the power to get you out of bad situations. At your weight the suspension should be fine for you. The price you have sounds in the ballpark of what others are paying. Oh, and good for you for wearing All The Gear, All The Time! (ATGATT)

Illegitimi non carborundum

There's a section here about suspension though I haven't really looked at it. I can only compare the FZ to my old 04 Ninja 250. I weigh 150 and on really awful roads it's a lot better than the 250. People say the stock suspension isn't that great (I don't know) but if you weigh about 150, it doesn't really matter. For me it feels fine but like I said I can only compare it to my Ninja 250. I wish I had more to offer.

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

I ride in LA every day. I commute to Vernon and Hollywood. The FZ-07 will be plenty of power for you. I'm 6' 1" 190lbs. This bike has plenty to give. I don't commute with the FZ though. I got a 2012 Honda CBR250R I picked up cheap and ride that since its smaller, more economical and nimble through traffic. Plus I didn't want to put all the miles on the FZ going back and forth to work. As far as the price OTD, that's a fair price to pay.

The road conditions in NYC are terrible but the FZ-07's suspension does a decent job. You feel most of the bumps, but the bike can handle it. Here the highways don't move too fast, so sometimes it's quicker to take the streets. For me the FZ-07 is a joy to ride. You feel the acceleration even when you don't end up going that fast. There always seems like there is more power hidden in the engine, waiting to be unleashed. I think you'll love the bike.

roadrunner

Thank you everybody for your input! Including you jetgirl! I had a 250 too so your input helps.

I test rode the fz-07 yesterday. To put it simply, I couldn't stop smiling. Its so awesome!!!! Though I'm not 100% sure if I was so happy just cause of the bike. Could also be I was so happy because I was finally riding after 2 years of no riding. All I know for sure is everything came back to me so naturally. I'm certain the smoothness and ease of use of the fz-07 contributed to that. It was WAY easier to use than either of my previous bikes. The torque was always there too, yet it didn't feel jumpy at all. Even though the gear indicator was there, I didn't look down, I had been used to looking up all the time for my surroundings to avoid an accident, and just feeling and hearing the bike to know when to shift and all that stuff. But knowing the gear indicator was there did help, especially at stop signs. I never had the problem I had on the other bikes, I think maybe because of how nice the shifter on this bike is. On my other bikes sometimes the shifting was rough and clunky. I didn't get much chance to really turn the bike at speed, but at least at regular street speeds the turning felt fine. Ive heard at higher speeds the turning is kinda weird. But as far as I can tell, pretty much everything one this bike is great! The suspension seemed to absorb bumps and holes pretty well too. felt much softer on my spine than my previous bikes. and I noticed what you said raceblue, you do feel the acceleration even at low speeds, and it still feels like theres more power to offer. Im shocked at how amazing this bike is. No wonder so many of you are buying it lol

fz07fanboy how has your commuting been? lots of close calls has it gotten more or less risky through the years? I know theres no definitive answer but I'm just trying to get an idea. My biggest fear at this point is road condition at higher speeds. Also do you still have a car? I have a car but im considering selling it and going all the way on bikes. cars just don't make much sense in LA unless you got a family or other specific needs for it. but seems if your single, or at least don't have kids, and got nothing to haul around, the motorcycle is perfect. I'm in between jobs right now, but have the possibility of getting one soon in west la or koreatown. im in Hollywood, so koreatown would be easy, if I end up going to west la, im definitely getting the bike. I just hope they've repaved the roads lol. would this bike be good as the sole mode of transportation?

• Premium Member

Welcome!

I've come from a CBR250R and definitely had a few of the same initial feelings you had too! The shifting does feel clunkier, but if you consider that this bike is 3 times faster than a 250, it makes sense. And it's only clunky getting into first, which I don't mind. Makes me know I'm there!

As for the LA traffic, I ride around the 60/605/710/5 freeways and don't have an issue with feeling all the terrible roads. Getting a seat from seat concepts (a vendor on the forum) also helped to take a lot the absorption from the rugged terrain. As for risk, riding a motorcycle is a risk. As long as you're willing to take it, understand it, and be alert at all times... Ride like your invisible.

If conditions don't seem ideal, slow down.
I know you addressed this to @fz07fanboy, but I don't have a car. It's been over a year now, but I do borrow a car every once in awhile because I like to go shopping without having to carry all my gear. If you want to make this your sole mode, you can definitely make it work! If you want more storage, there are options available for you.

$7500 OTD seems good but if you venture out of LA, you might find shops going for cheaper. Just depends on how far you're willing to drive/ride. Good luck!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

roadrunner
Welcome!  
I've come from a CBR250R and definitely had a few of the same initial feelings you had too! The shifting does feel clunkier, but if you consider that this bike is 3 times faster than a 250, it makes sense. And it's only clunky getting into first, which I don't mind. Makes me know I'm there!

As for the LA traffic, I ride around the 60/605/710/5 freeways and don't have an issue with feeling all the terrible roads. Getting a seat from seat concepts (a vendor on the forum) also helped to take a lot the absorption from the rugged terrain. As for risk, riding a motorcycle is a risk. As long as you're willing to take it, understand it, and be alert at all times... Ride like your invisible.

If conditions don't seem ideal, slow down.
I know you addressed this to @fz07fanboy, but I don't have a car. It's been over a year now, but I do borrow a car every once in awhile because I like to go shopping without having to carry all my gear. If you want to make this your sole mode, you can definitely make it work! If you want more storage, there are options available for you.

$7500 OTD seems good but if you venture out of LA, you might find shops going for cheaper. Just depends on how far you're willing to drive/ride. Good luck!

Thanks motomeek! Actually when I said clunky shifting, I was referring to my previous two bikes, the 250s. the shifting on the fz-07 felt smooth yet firm at the same time. I'll probably have to use the westside streets.. they suck. but theyre being slowly improved. but good to know about the freeways... that was my biggest concern, road conditions at high speeds. as for risk, I was just wondering if long time riders had seen any improvement in their areas. my guess is its getting worse with so many distractions for drivers, but who knows maybe traffic has gotten so bad that even if theyre distracted they cant hit you, cause theyre not moving! LOL nice to know your going solo too. I can probably borrow my dads car every once in a while(if I do sell my car. might sell it then later on get a cheapy used car). I have seen some bikes with storage added on, apparently Yamaha sells a ton of various accessories for this thing. that's very reassuring.
how much did you pay for your bike and where did you buy it? I'd be willing to go out of my way to buy one. my first bike I bought near san diego lol. although if possible I'd much rather establish a good relationship with a local dealer. my local salesman told me to go shop around, and before I buy, to go back to him and at least give him a chance to beat or match the price.

• Premium Member

There's no doubt it's getting worse. With technology advancing, the distractions will only go up with it until the technology drives for them.

But until then, you just have to be aware. ALWAYS.

Even with them NOT moving, you gotta be on your toes. People love to pull out to get into another lane that's "moving" without looking. I actually don't like non-moving traffic the most on the highways.

As for dealerships, check out this cycle trader link. There are a few for as low as $5,999.00. Some are closer to you than I thought haha. 

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy
Thank you everybody for your input! Including you jetgirl! I had a 250 too so your input helps. 
I test rode the fz-07 yesterday. To put it simply, I couldn't stop smiling. Its so awesome!!!! Though I'm not 100% sure if I was so happy just cause of the bike. Could also be I was so happy because I was finally riding after 2 years of no riding. All I know for sure is everything came back to me so naturally. I'm certain the smoothness and ease of use of the fz-07 contributed to that. It was WAY easier to use than either of my previous bikes. The torque was always there too, yet it didn't feel jumpy at all. Even though the gear indicator was there, I didn't look down, I had been used to looking up all the time for my surroundings to avoid an accident, and just feeling and hearing the bike to know when to shift and all that stuff. But knowing the gear indicator was there did help, especially at stop signs. I never had the problem I had on the other bikes, I think maybe because of how nice the shifter on this bike is. On my other bikes sometimes the shifting was rough and clunky. I didn't get much chance to really turn the bike at speed, but at least at regular street speeds the turning felt fine. Ive heard at higher speeds the turning is kinda weird. But as far as I can tell, pretty much everything one this bike is great! The suspension seemed to absorb bumps and holes pretty well too. felt much softer on my spine than my previous bikes. and I noticed what you said raceblue, you do feel the acceleration even at low speeds, and it still feels like theres more power to offer. Im shocked at how amazing this bike is. No wonder so many of you are buying it lol

fz07fanboy how has your commuting been? lots of close calls has it gotten more or less risky through the years? I know theres no definitive answer but I'm just trying to get an idea. My biggest fear at this point is road condition at higher speeds. Also do you still have a car? I have a car but im considering selling it and going all the way on bikes. cars just don't make much sense in LA unless you got a family or other specific needs for it. but seems if your single, or at least don't have kids, and got nothing to haul around, the motorcycle is perfect. I'm in between jobs right now, but have the possibility of getting one soon in west la or koreatown. im in Hollywood, so koreatown would be easy, if I end up going to west la, im definitely getting the bike. I just hope they've repaved the roads lol. would this bike be good as the sole mode of transportation?
As far as the road conditions, they seem fine to me. Of course there are sections at time where they may not always be the best. You can find those conditions on the 405. I travel from Oxnard and ride 67 miles to work. Close calls, every so often there could be a situation because someone isn't paying attention on their phone but you just have to be alert and I'm always scanning all the time. Riding the 250r makes it very easy to slice through traffic. I do have a car as well. I have a 2013 VW JETTA TDI. It's helped me save a lot of money going back and forth for over a year now of all this commuting. Averaging 600+ miles to the tank. I was just tired of sitting in traffic all the time and saving 2hrs a day is well worth riding. I won't be getting rid of my car. The bike would surely be a good sole mode of transportation. Parking would be very easy to find.

• Premium Member

Congrats! Where did you end up getting it? Maybe I'll see you and @fz07fanboy up in ACH or something!!

Congrats! Where did you end up getting it? Maybe I'll see you and @fz07fanboy up in ACH or something!!

I got it at Yamaha of Hollywood. Aka Honda of Hollywood. Those guys are great. Reed and Dave were the people involved, but especially Reed. That guy is just plain awesome, I highly highly recommend people go check it out with him at least to give him a chance. From beginning when I would just walk in to look around all the way till the day I bought it he was very helpful, not pushy, and most importantly honest! All I can say is do you research and give them a shot. I'm very happy with the process, the deal, and the bike. Just waiting for my gear to arrive now, feels like forever! Lol

And yes ACH would be great! I replied to you and fz07fanboy. I have never ridden during the summer. Each time I had bikes I got them around fall or winter and ended up selling or stopped riding right before summer lol. So I'm itching to ride my first summer!!!! :D

johnnybeagle

Reed at Yamaha/Honda of Hollywood is excellent. If Bert's didn't beat their deal by a few hundred, I would have bought my bike from him

@johnnybeagle I didn't even try Bert's. I went there 4 years ago for my first bike, the first OTD price they gave me was $8000. Guess for what bike?

2012 ninja 250!!!! The MSRP on the bike was $4199. How they doubled that and expected others to pay is insane. At that point I decided i was not buying there. But just for fun I haggled anyway, got them as low as $5800 or $5500, I dont remember exactly. But I wanted to pay $5000 max. Even that I thought was a lot. So I left and a few weeks later bought for $5200 at some dealer in el cajon lol. Technically it was $5000, but had to pay extra $200 for delivery cause it was so far. They also gave me a bunch of discounts on gear.

This time around I didn't wanna deal with distance, and Reed truly wanted to make it happen at his dealer, he said he wanted to keep his locals local. I really hope they're able to expand cause now that they carry Yamaha's they could be the go to people if they simply could grow bigger. There's just no damn real estate in that area

Anyway I'm extremely happy I bought it there. They're within walking distance :D

I'm sure if you'd gone back to Reed after getting berts price, he would have either beaten it or at least matched it! By the way if you're local, let's ride some day!

PearlWhiteFZ

Congrats on the new toy and welcome. I have been wanting to ride up ACH but I am waiting for couple buddies to get their bikes, so I can have a group.

Archived