The MT-07 Forum

Before I buy

Naparider

Hey everyone,

Looking to most likely purchase an FZ-07 this week. Is there anything I should know about before buying? Major problems, must do fixes/mods or anything?

There are 3 things on my list so far that I want to do right away

1. Frame sliders
2. Wind screen
3. Get rid of the starship enterprise sticking off the tail with a fender eliminator.

Other considered mods
1. Exhaust/EJK (want to be able to actually hear my rpms, rather than stare at my tach)
2. Different mirrors (so I can see more than my elbows)

I don't need to be any faster, so performance driven mods are not really in the cards yet, other than the EJK because I want exhaust and dont want to run lean. So more the reliability/safety/rideability type mods are what im looking into.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite
Puig Touring windscreen, custom fit frame sliders, graves fender eliminator, evotech radiator guard, mad hornets adjustable levers, and coming soon, two brothers S1R and EJK
RIP 01 DRZ-400 (crank failure)

Howdy.
The FZ-07 is a very fun-to-ride bike.

My advice is to go over the bike with a fine-toothed comb after getting it home to make sure it was put together correctly by the Yamaha dealer's personnel.
Other than that, the bike is rock-solid.
Anything else you deem necessary depends on what you want out of the bike and/or how much money you gotz.

• Global Moderator

I would get a radiator guard pretty quickly before you bend any of the little fins, otherwise your list looks pretty good.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Your list and what the others have suggested looks good. I would add checking the aim of your headlight (many of ours were aimed too low) or replacing it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Check out the DIY guides for anything that you can do yourself rather than buying (radiator guard *cough cough*). I would reccomend this fender eliminator. It is the cheapest package i've seen and comes with new led turn signal lights.  You may also consider buying some of these to mount the front led turn signals clean (not needed, but it does look cleaner). If you go with LED turn signals you will need this to make the blink pattern stock and not crazy fast.  I have the fender eliminator and flasher relay and they are great.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

Welcome! Keeping your bike protected is one thing but keeping yourself protected is priority [HASH]1 so I recommend this to make you more visible:

Cyclops 3800 Lumen H4 LED Headlight bulb

and a good helmet!

Beemer

Welcome! Keeping your bike protected is one thing but keeping yourself protected is priority [HASH]1 so I recommend this to make you more visible: 

Cyclops 3800 Lumen H4 LED Headlight bulb

and a good helmet!

Good advice for sure, I have a high vis yellow arai xd4 helmet, a nice full leather icon jacket, and a high vis yellow riding backpack.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite
Puig Touring windscreen, custom fit frame sliders, graves fender eliminator, evotech radiator guard, mad hornets adjustable levers, and coming soon, two brothers S1R and EJK

Check out the DIY guides for anything that you can do yourself rather than buying (radiator guard *cough cough*). I would reccomend this fender eliminator. It is the cheapest package i've seen and comes with new led turn signal lights.  You may also consider buying some of these to mount the front led turn signals clean (not needed, but it does look cleaner). If you go with LED turn signals you will need this to make the blink pattern stock and not crazy fast.  I have the fender eliminator and flasher relay and they are great.

Thanks! I may be able to jack the flasher unit from my drz, as it was outfitted with LED signals. I definitely plan on replacing the gigantic orange pods on the front too.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite

Your list and what the others have suggested looks good. I would add checking the aim of your headlight (many of ours were aimed too low) or replacing it.
I replaced my headlight with Osram Nightbreakers H4 recently. What a difference. Cheap simple mod that makes it safer to ride at night. 

Archived