The MT-07 Forum

RAM mount your phone and accessories!

• Premium Member

It's always nice to have your phone/GPS visible while riding. Especially when you have a SENA. This was extremely easy to install as there was nothing really needed besides basic tools. For this setup I bought a few different things:
The base mount (U-Bolt): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TWRAO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1The Double socket arm: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L9LW00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1The X-Grip cell phone: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055PH0XA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also purchased the GoPro RAM ball. This is why you see a piece of bicycle inner tube underneath my U-bolt (to hopefully remedy some vibrations and to keep the U-bolt from scratching the handle bar).
RAM mounts are known for how reliable they are on all sorts of motorcycles, cars, etc. There's other mounts for all sorts of different setups. This setup is just something that I chose based on how I ride. The pictures below show it mounted on the left side handle bars and it took me longer to figure out what position I wanted it in than actually installing it. I changed the position to show you all the components as I don't run it this high. When It's mounted it does not block the LCD screen at all. This setup is not expensive and the X-Grip legitimately holds the phone very tight.
20140724_175600_zpsd751ccf9.jpg
20140724_175533_zps65d19073.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

How do you like it? I'm looking at mounts now so I can mount my phone up as a GPS / music player.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• Global Moderator

Yamaha has one too and it's water resistant. The description says it's for a FZ-09 but it's in the FZ-07 section.

TwistedTorque
How do you like it? I'm looking at mounts now so I can mount my phone up as a GPS / music player.
Pretty much everyone I ride with has a RAM mount on their bike. I have one for the car. Nothing but good things to say about it. It's extremely customize-able.

• 4 weeks later...

Sucks how I can't have this mounted like dead center lol, but I've been eying this mount and glad someone did it on here, thanks for the post, might have to follow your setup

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• Premium Member

I just attached a lifeproof bike mount to hold my iphone which already had a lifeproof case. There was no room to attach the mount to the handlebars so I attached to the left mirror upright bar at the base and it fits perfectly. I rode to work this morning and there was no movement or vibration at all.
Combined with the free Scout GPS app, that's now my GPS solution.

When i ride my bike i just stick my phone in my pocket and listen to music and when i have to turn somewhere Siri tells me to. Bam. easy solution. pocket. earphones. siri. done.

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

TwistedTorque

I use google maps on my phone and have it talk to me through my Sena headset :-D. If I were to consider a RAM mount it would probably be for some kind of long distance weekend trip where I need to actually see what the GPS is showing.

So what GPS app are you using, just the standard Maps app?
Yep, standard earphones, iphone maps app, and siri, never gets me lost and tells me where to turn a good bit before the turn so i know beforehand what lane to get in. Also if you don't hear it you can just click the earphone siri thing with one hand and ask her to repeat directions. simple and easy. 

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

• Premium Member

This system is fairly cheap (under $50) and allows you to look at the street approaching rather than just hearing the communication for it (Which is something I'm a huge fan of). I can also change songs very easily (even without SENA). You could also opt for the lifeproof case with this mount as it's definitely exposed. I got caught in a rain storm the other day and had to pull over to put my phone in my pocket.

Also, for you Android user's I would recommend getting the free app 'Dragon Mobile Assistant' its from the same people that created Siri and is a ton better than the built in one.

• 7 months later...
It's always nice to have your phone/GPS visible while riding. Especially when you have a SENA. This was extremely easy to install as there was nothing really needed besides basic tools. For this setup I bought a few different things: The base mount (U-Bolt): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TWRAO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1The Double socket arm: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L9LW00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1The X-Grip cell phone: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055PH0XA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also purchased the GoPro RAM ball. This is why you see a piece of bicycle inner tube underneath my U-bolt (to hopefully remedy some vibrations and to keep the U-bolt from scratching the handle bar).
RAM mounts are known for how reliable they are on all sorts of motorcycles, cars, etc. There's other mounts for all sorts of different setups. This setup is just something that I chose based on how I ride. The pictures below show it mounted on the left side handle bars and it took me longer to figure out what position I wanted it in than actually installing it. I changed the position to show you all the components as I don't run it this high. When It's mounted it does not block the LCD screen at all. This setup is not expensive and the X-Grip legitimately holds the phone very tight.
20140724_175600_zpsd751ccf9.jpg
20140724_175533_zps65d19073.jpg
This is the same setup I have and it works perfectly. I also use this basic setup with my Gopro camera.

Cautions. if you get the ram mount that goes over the right brake assembly you will have use shorter bolts or else they will hit the tank

• 1 month later...
jcfuzzdog29

Hey was wondering if anyone has the RAM Mounts Universal Cell Phone Holder Kit for there fz 07 and how they like it and were you have it mounted.. Pics would be great.

I've got the larger xgrips for the iPhone 6 plus on both my bikes. I've never had my phone fall off on the FZ-07 but with my little Grom that has a bit more handlebar vibration, it's fallen off a few times. I hooked up a short lanyard from the phone to the bike just in case this happens again.

• Premium Member
applekoolaid

My iPhone 6+ with Magpul case fell bounced out of my Ram x-grip going about 50 over some RR tracks.  I got the bike stopped before the phone stopped tumbling down the road.  Not a scratch on the phone thanks to the MP case but I haven't been able to trust the X-grip since :-/

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy
My iPhone 6+ with Magpul case fell bounced out of my Ram x-grip going about 50 over some RR tracks.  I got the bike stopped before the phone stopped tumbling down the road.  Not a scratch on the phone thanks to the MP case but I haven't been able to trust the X-grip since :-/ 
Are you sure you had it seated completely? just seems odd that it could even come out. When i have my NOTE 4 mounted, it doesn't even move. I have to put some pressure on it pushing it to even get it to move.

• Premium Member
applekoolaid

It's certainly possible that it wasn't correctly seated, but I'm not doing another trial run to find out. You know, it has that clockwise/counterclockwise play in it when the phone is mounted. My theory is that it needs that play as a sort of shock mount to prevent what happened to me. I mounted mine where the play was all on the right side instead of centering it with play on the left/right. If you mount it so all the play is to the right, then press down on the lower left arm of the x-grip, the phone falls out really easy. I'm assuming that bump over the railroad tracks simulated a press down and since there was no play there it moved the arms instead of tilting through the play. Makes sense in my head anyway...

bmwpowere36m3
It's certainly possible that it wasn't correctly seated, but I'm not doing another trial run to find out. You know, it has that clockwise/counterclockwise play in it when the phone is mounted. My theory is that it needs that play as a sort of shock mount to prevent what happened to me. I mounted mine where the play was all on the right side instead of centering it with play on the left/right. If you mount it so all the play is to the right, then press down on the lower left arm of the x-grip, the phone falls out really easy. I'm assuming that bump over the railroad tracks simulated a press down and since there was no play there it moved the arms instead of tilting through the play. Makes sense in my head anyway...
Yeah, my x-grip has a little rotational play when my phone is mounted... but I can't really "set" it. It kind of is what it is, but I've never lost my iPhone 5 yet :D

Here is what I did to make sure my phone doesn't fall out of the x-grip.  I added some dual-lock to the back of my case and to the x-grip.

20150414200414-a5bc0135-la.jpg

pantheraleo

I have the big X-grip for my phone, and a power supply for long trips.

I show the mount in this video I made for installing the power source.

FZ-07: addition of power outlet:

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

The iPhone 6+ has a bit more weight to it that makes it difficult for the x-grip to hold securely. In the picture below, I have a lanyard attached to the phone that clips onto the x-grip so if it does pop off, it won't fall from the bike. 896d0a2c51bfd04fb6279b28393d5f40.jpg

Archived