The MT-07 Forum

RAM mount your phone and accessories!

The iPhone 6+ has a bit more weight to it that makes it difficult for the x-grip to hold securely. In the picture below, I have a lanyard attached to the phone that clips onto the x-grip so if it does pop off, it won't fall from the bike. 896d0a2c51bfd04fb6279b28393d5f40.jpgI Like that idea......Good to have a back up........

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fooschnickens
Can you post details on how you got the mount in this location?  which brackets and whatnot you used?  I want to add a ram mount in this same location.  How difficult is it to get to the key with the phone there?
That's An Excellent Idea.  Is it hard to reach the ignition? 

Anything you mount there will need to be taken off before you can get to the ignition. I have my phone mounted the same way and it takes up all the space above the instrument panel. Only way to get the key in and out is to unclip my phone. 

• 6 months later...
Anything you mount there will need to be taken off before you can get to the ignition. I have my phone mounted the same way and it takes up all the space above the instrument panel. Only way to get the key in and out is to unclip my phone.
That works as a great reminder not to forget your phone or key should you leave the bike.

Sucks how I can't have this mounted like dead center lol, but I've been eying this mount and glad someone did it on here, thanks for the post, might have to follow your setup
Sorry, didn't read this whole thread, hope I'm not repeating. Mine is mounted dead center. OR almost dead center. I used the mount that attaches to a bolt hole and mounted on one of the speedo bolts. Works great. Other stuff doesn't work with my woodcraft clipons.

That works as a great reminder not to forget your phone or key should you leave the bike.
Might even remind you not to leave the phone...

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

I'm able to get to the ignition through the side with the phone mounted.

I'm able to get to the ignition through the side with the phone mounted.

Me too. And I have a Puig Touring windscreen.

robertbishop

There's this funky butterfly- lookin piece that seems to come with every x-grip...

Can anybody tell me what the heck it's for?

• 4 weeks later...
johnydecali
So what GPS app are you using, just the standard Maps app?
Waze rocks
That it does! "Highway Patrol detected up ahead"  (rofl)

• Global Moderator
Something funky with that link
caused a cascade of windows to.pop-up on both phone and comp

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Something funky with that link caused a cascade of windows to.pop-up on both phone and comp
Strange. It works fine on my computer. Sorry about it. You can search on amazon as motorcycle phone holder. You will see it is about USD 18.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
Anyone with clip on have a ram mount? where do you put the thing?
Clutch perch mirror hole?
could also mount it to the neck of the frame using u-bolt mounts

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just got one of these, it is awesome, quite impressed. Never had a ram xgrip so cannot compare quality, but this one is nice.  time will tell on durability
I got one too, clipped on the mirror screw. Has worked just fine till now. 

• 2 months later...

I was just about to order one of the RAM X-Grip.  I asked several of my friends about their experiences with it since I had seen several of them on group rides.  Turns out 5 friends have the X-Grip mount and of those 4 of them have had their phone fall out of the X-Grip while going over bumps in the city.  One had his fall out twice while riding to work.

I see they now come with the rubber "tether".  Originally they did not but I guess RAM added that when they heard about phones falling out.  Has anyone here had any problems with their X-Grip?  Any advice I can give to my friends who have them to keep the phone from falling out?  (It is a real pain to get the tether on the phone when putting it into the X-Grip so the tether is not always used.)

RAM makes other holders for phones which hold the phone on all 4 sides.  Anyone tried one of those?

Thanks,

Kees

Archived