The MT-07 Forum

'How To' use your FZ-07 Auxiliary DC connector

Guru

• Global Moderator

Many of you know that the manual of the FZ07 mentions a spare Aux DC connector.
It is switched so if you connect an accessory like a GPS or phone charger, it will only have power when the key is on the 'ON' position. 

Here's a clip of the manual:

aux.jpg

I decided to use this connector to power my GPS. It was previously connected directly to my battery but I forgot to switch it off once and my battery was dead the next day.

Tools needed:

5 mm hex key (to remove that seat)
4 mm hex key (to remove the left side panel)
--- I am not going to explain how to remove the side panel because it has been covered in other threads) ---

Soldering kit or connector that fits.

After taking the left side panel off you will see a small white plug with a looped wire taped to a harness located under the gas tank. I am pointing at the plug with my red screw driver:

IMG_1876.jpg

If you push a little clip on side of the plug you can remove it from the holder or cap:

IMG_1877.jpg

I did not have the specific plug that fit onto the connector so I removed the white plastic plug to expose the wires. The red/yellow wire is positive (+) and the black with white wire is negative (-):

IMG_1879.jpg

I prefer to solder my connections so that is what I did. I made a small 'work bench' by clamping a piece of wood between the frame of the bike. I used heat shrink tubing to insulate the wires and finished the job by using some electrical tape to join the loose wires:

IMG_1880.jpg
IMG_1881.jpg

I then connected my (marine grade) plug, tucked the wires and tested to see if everything works.
(do this before reassembling the bike  ;))

IMG_1882.jpg
IMG_1884.jpg
IMG_1883.jpg

I finally reconnected the empty plug into the holder. No sense in throwing it away, maybe I need it in the future.

IMG_1885.jpg
IMG_1886.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JerzieFREQ

This is perfect! I was actually considering buying an OEM Yamaha plug that fits it. This is a good way around it if you have spare plugs. Thanx

• 5 weeks later...
recurveshooter

EXCELLENT! Thanks. There was another post but I'm not sure it was ever resolved which plug was which. Thanks again - recurveshooter

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Just saw this @guru that plug "holder" is actually the female side of the plug just taped to the harness.  You can just pull it out of the tape and get the stuff (Terminals and wire seals) you need at Cycle Terminal to hook it all up.  Special crimp tool makes it easier and neater but not 100% necessary.

• Premium Member

This is the specific part number. It makes is a lot cleaner by actually using the connector. You could of course just cut the existing connector off and then connect you wires directly to it.
I just crimped and soldered my wires to the metal connector pins in the picture (plugged into the male connector and plugged it in). The item below actually comes with two sets of metal pins to plug into the fitting in case you screw up or decide you want to reuse the connector with something else.
www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html

MT Connector

Item # Male MT090-2

$3.35

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

The actual connector you need is on the wiring harness held there by one turn of electrical tape. Just pull it off, buy the terminals, crimp them on, push into connector, and go.

By the way that is the exact page I linked.

It's called male on their site but its actaully the female (left in picture) connector you need if you just want to buy more stuff than you really need.

• Global Moderator

Excellent info @wickedtwister, thank you.
You don't need to buy the actual connectors because they are already there and it would make a cleaner install to use them.

I opted to use the connector I already had on my GPS because I planned on using my GPS on both my bike and snowmobile. Not that this is relevant anymore.

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

Im new to this forum, This being my first forum ever. Is there a setting or something i beed to do to see the images ? They are not present.

• Premium Member
Im new to this forum, This being my first forum ever. Is there a setting or something i beed to do to see the images ? They are not present.
No, no special settings needed.  Perhaps it is your browser or internet connection?  I've heard some people have issues from time to time on Safari on an iPad or iPhone, for example. 
If you are on a mobile device, you can also check out the Tapatalk app for accessing the forum as well.

Nice! I've never had to use it but have wondered about it in case I did have to so thanks! Very informative.

Beemer

• Premium Member
No, no special settings needed.  Perhaps it is your browser or internet connection?  I've heard some people have issues from time to time on Safari on an iPad or iPhone, for example. 
If you are on a mobile device, you can also check out the Tapatalk app for accessing the forum as well.
Thanks so1102. It seems to only be one members posts that do not appear visable.  

• Premium Member
Thanks so1102. It seems to only be one members posts that do not appear visable.
Unfortunately sometimes people post links to existing images hosted on image sharing sites, and then remove or delete those photos some time later.  If you are looking at some particularly old posts that may be the case -- in which case, nobody can see those images (with the exception of the original poster, perhaps)

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
The actual connector you need is on the wiring harness held there by one turn of electrical tape. Just pull it off, buy the terminals, crimp them on, push into connector, and go.  

It's called male on their site but its actaully the female (left in picture) connector you need if you just want to buy more stuff than you really need.
Getting ready to do this.  
The confusion over male/female is that they are talking about the metal connectors, but people usually look at the plastic housing. This connector assembly has the metal male connector in a plastic female housing, the female metal connector is in a male plastic housing.

Engineers huh? Can't live without em, can't shoot em.

Databyter

• Global Moderator

Getting ready to do this.  
The confusion over male/female is that they are talking about the metal connectors, but people usually look at the plastic housing. This connector assembly has the metal male connector in a plastic female housing, the female metal connector is in a male plastic housing.

Engineers huh? Can't live without em, can't shoot em.
Dont shoot em... love em
we dont get much in the way of social interaction... and even less in the way intersocial/intrasexual interactions

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Hi Wikedtwister, I've actually just started to install my Garmin 590 Zumo. So all I need is the male terminals, then just put them into the empty connector that the female connector is pushed into? What crimpers would you advise using? Also, can the male terminals be bought w/out the connector?

booboobusfz07

2 amp fuse on the accessory line. Will the stock wiring take more without issue? I'd like to use a quick charger that could draw up to 5amps. Can I swap the oem 2amp for a 5amp without issue?

Figured this would be a decent place to ask.

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent info @wickedtwister, thank you. You don't need to buy the actual connectors because they are already there and it would make a cleaner install to use them.

I opted to use the connector I already had on my GPS because I planned on using my GPS on both my bike and snowmobile. Not that this is relevant anymore.

So If I am understanding correctly the plugs are already there.

All I need to buy is usb with naked wires on one end and finish the connection. Can you point me to a part on amazon.

Thank you in advance.

pineappleunderthesea
Excellent info @wickedtwister , thank you. You don't need to buy the actual connectors because they are already there and it would make a cleaner install to use them.

So If I am understanding correctly the plugs are already there.

All I need to buy is usb with naked wires on one end and finish the connection. Can you point me to a part on amazon.

Thank you in advance.
If you just want the USB with bare wires, here's the one I bought on Amazon 
If you want the connector as well, you can follow the Cycleterminal links in the posts above.

But Guru is saying that the connector are already there.

Isn't in the picture you see male connector and female connector in bike.

Hah no worries I order a male and a female. I will figure it out when it gets here

I just need to order the usb wire now.

pineappleunderthesea
Hah no worries I order a male and a female. I will figure it out when it gets here  
I just need to order the usb wire now.
Yeah there's already a female connector on the bike that is plugged into the male, I believe.   Once you unsnap them, the female will be dangling and you buy another male assembly (MT090-2 male) and a set of prongs to hook up to your USB. You can use standard pliers to crimp the USB wire on the prongs, then insert those into the socket.   
I don't recall why I didn't use the male connector that was already attached, it'll make more sense when you actually connect things together. 

• Premium Member
panchobullet

Just in case anyone wants to get the Yamaha DC connector, the code is 1WS-F254B-00-00. I found it on two Euro sites if anyone interested:

- http://www.ebay.de/itm/361435364283

- http://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-12v-dc-outlet.html

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

Archived