The MT-07 Forum

Michiganders

norcal616

• Premium Member

I will be on My GSXR but that doesn't mean I'm fast. Ive done 4 track days at gratton all last year.

If you guy didn't know already all you have to do is take off your mirrors and tape up your lights. I put on painters tape then duct tape over it they are kinda anal about seeing any light threw tape, cover your reflectors and wheel weights also.

They don't really check your gear but you should have a suit boots over ankle, glove over wrist and a good helmet. Not sure about there rental stuff there. But if you need something I can try to help out.

Get there early gates open at 7 if you still have to get your bike ready get it done and ride up to the sign in garage it opens at 730 am. Once signed in you get your sticker and get your bike inspected before everyone. then they have a track meeting at 8- 830.

Have fun its not about speed it about learning how to control your bike. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

PS it doesn't matter what group your are in start low and bump up if you want but if you feel you are going too slow its fine because going slow can be a good way to learn how to lean and follow lines better.  I would start out in group 5 or more but not the last group either. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Thanks for the info...i read the webpage over a few times last night...i have an engineer at my work who regularly spins laps at grattan on his built to the hilt 600 he has, its my understanding he fast, he even just built a 460 small block ford all motor pushing 650HP/650TQ for his kit car this winter...i will talk to him when i get a chance...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Grattan is just so much fun. The only track I've been to that comes close is mid Ohio.

Really looking forward to seeing it from a different perspective. Turn 3 is gonna be interesting... I definitely plan to start slow and learn the 2 wheel lines before adding speed. Hoping some of my car experience transfers over.

Any recommendations for local-ish places to buy a track suit? Talked to Ozzy at fox today and he said they were getting some stuff in soon but their prices are generally high.

One more question, do most people run DB killers?  I know Grattan doesn't usually care about noise, but gingerman sometimes does. I've got an akra ti and it's obnoxious. 

• Premium Member

I have used this leather set for the last 3yrs... I have the jacket and matching pants..i use it as my daily gear and drag strip gear...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-willow-leather-jacket

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
Grattan is just so much fun. The only track I've been to that comes close is mid Ohio. 
Really looking forward to seeing it from a different perspective. Turn 3 is gonna be interesting... I definitely plan to start slow and learn the 2 wheel lines before adding speed. Hoping some of my car experience transfers over.

Any recommendations for local-ish places to buy a track suit? Talked to Ozzy at fox today and he said they were getting some stuff in soon but their prices are generally high.

One more question, do most people run DB killers?  I know Grattan doesn't usually care about noise, but gingerman sometimes does. I've got an akra ti and it's obnoxious. 

I don't know about Gingerman on the DB killer this will be my first time there this year Gratton as far as I know dose not.  
I have a friend that just got a new Suit and has one that is old as hell but it works I'll get a size and price from him. I picked up a SS for about 500 bucks thats about as cheep as they come alpine star your looking at about a grand. 

What size are you? and whats your budget? 

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Good place to look for racing gears is the 13x forums. Track forum where people sell their used gear pretty frequently.

• Premium Member

I don't know about Gingerman on the DB killer this will be my first time there this year Gratton as far as I know dose not.  
I have a friend that just got a new Suit and has one that is old as hell but it works I'll get a size and price from him. I picked up a SS for about 500 bucks thats about as cheep as they come alpine star your looking at about a grand. 

I'm a fat bastard with short legs (5'9” 215lbs) so I'll probably have to have something tailored. I'll buy new, figured about $2k with boots and gloves. Seem about right?

• Premium Member
phicurious86

If your sizing is weird, you might also consider going for a full custom suit (though you typically have to wait at least a month). I've heard good things about hazardous racing. https://hazardousracing.com/

Boots and gloves I wouldn't spend more than 400 combined and you could get a sweet setup for 300 or less. Just hunt around for clearance stuff and don't be afraid to get something that isn't A* or Dainese.

If you've got "american" sized proportions you should check out RST gear. Quality stuff at bargain prices. Fits bigger guys pretty well. I almost went with their gear, but I'm tiny and nothing was really setup to fit me well at 5'7" 140lbs. Rider's Discount stocks their stuff and has great prices on it (they've got all this stuff on clearance right now so you could get suit, boots, and gloves for under 1k). https://www.ridersdiscount.com/brands/rst

• Premium Member

I'm a fat bastard with short legs (5'9” 215lbs) so I'll probably have to have something tailored. I'll buy new, figured about $2k with boots and gloves. Seem about right?
LOL I'm 5' 10 240 ish your fine 2 grand you can get some nice gear. I picked up a Speed and strength for 500 bucks size 48 your probably close to that same size go buy what revzilla says for size they are good there and they ship and return for free. but you don't have to buy form them they just have great gear guides. Here is some good stuff I took 5 min to look up to give you a idea
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-stella-motegi-race-suithttps://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-s-speed-bootshttps://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-gp-plus-gloves
That will put you at 1200 for good stuff but you have time and the deals are good this time of year
below is the suit I have and I think its great 500 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Strength-Twist-of-Fate-3-0-Race-Suit-Choose-Size-Color-/292006694701?hash=item43fcf48f2d:g:5z8AAOSwLEtYg~9b&vxp=mtr
boots 200http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDI-XPD-XP3-S-MOTORCYCLE-RACE-ROAD-TRACK-BOOTS-BLACK-WHITE-SIZES-41-TO-48-/291856547432?var=&hash=item43f4017e68:m:mxs9Pv2woJN5Wzz5uaGt_iw&vxp=mtr
gloves 110http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scorpion-SG3-Vented-Leather-Motorcycle-Riding-Gloves-Black-/131872164604?var=&hash=item1eb4318afc:m:m95bxrPcIrGrZEY6_5uI3cw&vxp=mtr

• Premium Member

I just found out this morning the Motocross Of Nations 2018 (MXoN) will be held at none other than RRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDD!!! Ya know Redbud ?, last 3yrs I have gone to Redbud during 4th of July weekend to watch the outdoor AMA MX series and the night races ?...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
norcal616

Less than a month away from June, im ready to start my semi-month long june/jult vacation... @jake how picky is Grattan about reflective rim tape? I got no problem covering up the rim tape but its a project I would rather avoid...I assume the taping of tail light, mirrors and headlights is to help keep the lenses together in the event of a crash? I plan to unplug them away and tape em up, mirrors and front turn signal got removed over the weekend...

• Premium Member
Less than a month away from June, im ready to start my semi-month long june/jult vacation... @jake how picky is Grattan about reflective rim tape? I got no problem covering up the rim tape but its a project I would rather avoid...I assume the taping of tail light, mirrors and headlights is to help keep the lenses together in the event of a crash? I plan to unplug them away and tape em up, mirrors and front turn signal got removed over the weekend...
Rim tap is fine. yeah tape in an event of a crash even though its all plastic these days. Put on painters tape then duct tape so it comes off easy.they provide lunch and drinks but I bring water snack and drinks anyway. Bring fuel, tools and a tire pressure gauge. They have a compressor on sight and if you need something there are plenty of guys to help you out If you ask.  

ducttapewd40

Was that one of you guys riding North through Middleville on a silver FZ about a half hour ago?

• Premium Member
Anyone in the Detroit area? Just picked up an 07 and looking for some people to ride with!
I'm sure you could find a club to join on facebook. Im a Member on Wes Michigan and GR riders it a good place to meet other riders in your area.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
still alive ? Getting pumped!  

• Premium Member
still alive ? Getting pumped!
Heck yea im excited... Im bringing the FJ-09 instead of the FZ-07... In fact since getting outta work this morning to start my mini vacation, I been cleaning out my truck, staying up all day today to get on a DAYWALKER time routine, getting the bike into race trim, gave it a bath, etc..  
The FZ-07 is staying home, the new Q3 tires put my suspension settings outta wack...

A few days ago only about 2/3 of novice and intermediate class spots were filled for months then bam they are sold out!

How bout you? 

• Premium Member

Its gonna be a huge change of pace for me... Im ready to expand my knowledge and break some habits I may have from years of dirt biking...

• Premium Member
Its gonna be a huge change of pace for me... Im ready to expand my knowledge and break some habits I may have from years of dirt biking...
The best advice I can give you is relax and have fun don't push it. It take laps at the track to get better it just takes time. Its not a race, it a place to hone your skills. Even the slowest person at the track is gaining more skills than the guy that has and will never go to the track.  
If you feel like the group your in is too fast then bump down there is no shame I have before.

All this advice is meaning less when you hit the track lol I was like I'm going to be racing motoGP next year lol........

• Premium Member

20170601_183924.jpg

Just got done packing up the Isuzu with the FJ-09... Im ready to go now... 

@jake what gsxr is that?

• Premium Member
20170601_183924.jpg

Just got done packing up the Isuzu with the FJ-09... Im ready to go now... 

@jake what gsxr is that?

2014 1000 I picked up new 0 miles last year

Archived