The MT-07 Forum

Mesh Jacket Recommendation?

wojo72

Although not "mesh", I wear a perforated scorpion leather jacket. I wear it even in 100+ degree California summers. I've had a bad experience with a textile mesh jacket and will never buy one again- I like my skin.

I ride with an Icon Anthem mesh jacket all the time, it has a removable liner and spine, shoulder and elbow pads. I haven't gone down with it so I don't know about durability but it is comfortable to ride with in +30 C weather.

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

pantheraleo

I have the Dainese Air-Flux Textile Jacket. Very well designed, nice armor, and a good fit. Great air flow and is comfy in 90 degree riding.

(as comfy as anything can be, at least).

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

dcajunpimp
Sorry. I meant JR textile not mesh. If it were Mesh I'd be good! :)

If you like your JR textile, Google Joe Rocket Trench. Its an older model and disconnected, places like Motorcyclecloseouts have them under $100. I haven't crash tested mine but it looks as good as any other JR mesh jacket. It comes with a vest liner for chilly days. The main part of the whole original concept is that it includes a full rainsuit. Not just a 3/4 Trench but also pants. I haven't had a chance to test the rainsuit either, but it seems like it would do the job, is a nicer quality than I expected.

For under $100 its definitely as good as any other mesh jacket in the price range, probably as good as any other JR mesh.

• Premium Member

I just recently bought an Icon Hooligan Spaztyk. I also have a 12 year old FieldSheer that served me well, but for the heat doesn't compare to the Icon Hooligan. The Icon Hooligan flows LOTS of air, is a softer mesh, has a more relaxed fit and great lightweight armor.

Why can't left turners see us?

• 1 month later...
rogerfkropf
I got this bad boy. I'm a low budget baller, the removable liner keeps me warm enough in the morning on the way to work. I remove it and sometimes even get a bit chilly on the way back home in the evening. 

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Techno-Mesh-Motorcycle-Jacket

Good price, but I recommend a different color as it gets dirty quick
I have this jacket too, used on many hot days in Nevada and Arizona. Max airflow, probably as cool as a jacket can get. It's cheap (it is Bilt; let's say"value") but holding up well (4000 miles) and liner is good for cooler mornings. Adequate armor I replaced back foam pad with real armor.

I just ordered a Rukka AiRider. For a week I mentally went back and forth between the Rukka, Dainese Air Flux D1, and Rev'it Airwave. After talking to a Revzilla staffer about the choices, he (Pete) said that the Rukka offers not only the most protection but also the most airflow. Rukka's use of Cordura AFT throughout the entire jacket means the whole jacket flows like a mesh while offering abrasion resistance like a tight weave high-denier textile. It's hella expensive for a "mesh" jacket but with the Summer heat this year, I think it'll be worthwhile. Plus, it has a very understated look, which I like. I can't wait for it to arrive next week.

• Premium Member
speedingtickets

I wore my mesh jacket once. I wear this stuff off road and have crash tested it. It keeps me fairly safe and cool from the waist up, I am still trying to figure out how to keep cool down below, that is a whole other list.  

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/evs-sport-vest

http://www.amazon.com/Launch-Elbow-Black-Small-Medium/dp/B0013NGQ3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437215719&sr=8-1&keywords=fox+launch+elbow+guards&pebp=1437215721462&perid=0KZERE1KZSP5834H86WY

Cheap quality vented gloves: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-lock-and-load-gloves

Laugh if you want, I don't hold back when I ride.

• Premium Member
I got this bad boy. I'm a low budget baller, the removable liner keeps me warm enough in the morning on the way to work. I remove it and sometimes even get a bit chilly on the way back home in the evening. 

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Techno-Mesh-Motorcycle-Jacket

Good price, but I recommend a different color as it gets dirty quick
2nd this. It is a good less expensive jacket that has a removable liner and removable elbow, shoulder, and back armor. 
It is only slightly less comfortable this week since I added a windscreen and have less air conditioning in this hot muggy San Diego weather of late.

Disclaimer; I am too lazy to go check if I have the same jacket, since I have NO storage where I live and keep my gear under my tarped bike. It had the same price-point and looks exactly the same and I recommend the white, and a washing machine (drip dries fast). It looks good and stays cooler and has excellent night visability.

I only wish my overpants came in white or two tone white as well.

I plan to get the perforated Alpine Stars leather for more serious rides as funds permit, along with a Shoei GT Air helmet.

p.s. I removed the liner after a week and doubt I will ever use it again until what passes for winter here, if at all.

Databyter

Databyter

I'm rocking two main jackets at the moment. My primary jacket is an Icon Hypersport Prime which is a leather/textile hybrid. It's probably 80% leather in all the places you would want it. For a leather, it flows about as much air and any leather jacket I've ever owned.

For the HOT 100-degree plus days like today where I'm just riding around town (read: not doing anything too aggressive) I pull the Alpinestars T-GP Plus R Air jacket (isn't that a mouthful!) out of the closest. It may not have the top-level protection my Hypersport Prime has, but for easier riding it beats squidding it and flows a ton of air.

Now then, there is the issue I have here which is even the air that flows through it is hotter than I like ha, but not even going shirtless will help with that! What I would also recommend if your area gets supper hot is a cooling vest. You soak it in water, ring it out until it's fairly dry, but it still retains water that can cool you off for 4 hours plus. Good for when you want to go riding, not so good if you are doing something like shopping, going to eat, etc. as it does get your undershirt a bit wet.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest frank20

I wear a Dainese Super Speed D-dry textile jacket. I love it. Has great built in armor, with extra pockets to insert front chest protectors and rear back protector. I don't have the chest protectors in mine but I do have the Dainese Manis back protector in the back and it fits awesome with no play while wearing the jacket. A bit on the heavy side with it installed but it flows a butt ton of air and you forget it's even there once riding. The jacket is super nice quality. Would highly recommend.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-super-speed-d-dry-jacket

• Global Moderator
I picked up the alpinestars "viper air" jacket, it keeps me as cool as possible in these mississippi summers.
Have the same jacket... commuting in phoenix arizona year round i love it.
Winter i can throw a longsleeve shirt on w/ the liner and be relatively warm considering its certainly a summer textile.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Alpinestars T-GP Plus R air worked well for me in Alabama with 95+ deg days 14000% humidity and a 110+ deg heat index. I can't say how it will hold up in a crash but its better protected than the cheap bilt gear IMO.

Archived