The MT-07 Forum

High Vis Gear and left hand turning cars

Cruizin

Since switching to highvis gear, I hardly ever have anyone pulling left hand turns in front of me. When I rode around wearing black, people would pull left hand turns in front of me all the time!

Alot of people have been killed here recently by left hand turning cars. They just don't look for bikes and anything that you can do to be seen helps. Also, riding the speed limit in town and having good brake practice skills can and will save your life. I fully recommend Highvis helmets and jackets. Since switching, I have alot less issues with cars and can tell that I am being seen more often.

My Helmet Bell RS-1 High Vis

My Summer Jacket Revit Airwave High Vis

http://images2.revzilla.com/product_images/0033/7413/FJT126_4120UF_300RGB08_detail.jpg

• Global Moderator

I have to admit that I don't wear highvis gear, except for some detailing on my helmet. I know, I know, but hey, at least I'm honest

• Global Moderator

I have high-viz panels on my jacket and put reflective tape on my helmet. My next helmet will be high-viz.

• Premium Member

Gotta gotta gotta do the SMIDSY when ever you see a car that may pull across your path from left right or wherever!!!!!! Second nature for me now!

A little long but explains issues very well. Even mentions high viz wont always be seen.

You don't have to even move so much I just wiggle the bike to get the head light to reflect different and catch their attention.

Also I always ride with my high beam on except at night! Better they see you and are annoyed than don't see you!

• Premium Member
You don't have to even move so much I just wiggle the bike to get the head light to reflect different and catch their attention.

This is why I rock HID's on my motorcycles. Yeah you may piss of the driver a little, but at least they know your there.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

This is why I rock HID's on my motorcycles. Yeah you may piss of the driver a little, but at least they know your there.
I would suggest both, as in my recent accident I actually did NOT do the SIAM, but had a modulator...the driver said. "I did not see you." I am not sure at the speed and location this happened it would have helped, but trust me it could save a life

I currently have a silver full face helmet and looking at changing it to hi-vis and getting a hi-vis colored jacket. I know from my day job that the hi-vis outerwear has saved my behind plenty of times from the two ton rockets of the motorway.

• Global Moderator
A pretty cool feature on our bike is the 'pass switch'. It not only makes me feel as if I am driving on the Autobahn again but I also use it make me more visible. Better then wiggling the bike. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33459059/pass_switch.png

• Premium Member

Did you mean better than wiggling the bike? Careful this was debated on my old bikes forum and some concern that flashing light is like giving the other person the OK to proceed! Plus I drive with my high beam on during the day in order to heighten my visibility as mentioned above I think. Interesting that cars have DRL's but bikes actually don't we rely on our nighttime light.....hence using my high beams!

• Global Moderator

Good point ! I still think that wiggling is not a very safe way to make you noticeable to other traffic. When I use the switch I don't give it a short blip as if to say hi! or okay! but hold the switch while approaching. I basically approach with high beam but I don't drive with my high beam on all the time.

Gotta gotta gotta do the SMIDSY when ever you see a car that may pull across your path from left right or wherever!!!!!! Second nature for me now! 

A little long but explains issues very well. Even mentions high viz wont always be seen.

Also I always ride with my high beam on except at night! Better they see you and are annoyed than don't see you!
Guys, I did this ALL day today, and well, some people looked at me like, "What are you doing, stupid biker."...and I grinned thinking, it worked. Thanks for sharing

Well, once again, Smidsy'ed all over Middle Tennessee today, and once again got that look, "Stupid biker" and grinned as I thought, "It works, you saw me"

Archived