The MT-07 Forum

Wiring tips

No Hater

• Premium Member

I am wondering what people are splicing into for accessories that require power. Obviously running straight to the battery is not optimal. Additionally, does anybody have a wiring diagram that shows us what wire is which for wiring up lights etc? Sorry if there is already a thread showing this.

I want to install my USB port although only want it powered upon ingnition.

I would like to run some DRLs in the front grates. ..i figure i can tap into the front lights.

Im honestly a new born when it comes to electronics. Give me some wood or metal and ill build you something but this is new for me. Any help would be appreciate.

bmwpowere36m3

Where you tap will depend on what you want to power and how you want to power it (HOT all the time, or only when ignition ON). You must always consider the current draw of the device your connecting to existing wiring so as not to overload the circuit.

For the USB charging port, I'd tap into the factory DC plug under the gas tank. I believe its only powered with the ignition. For DRLs, you could tap either the wires running to the headlight switch or behind the headlight. Whether you need a relay, will depend on their current draw.
*edit* Running off the battery is fine, you just need to fuse the circuit.

Isn't there a fused accessory plug/wiring location unused from the factory, keyed to ignition on/off?

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member
Isn't there a fused accessory plug/wiring location unused from the factory, keyed to ignition on/off?
That is what I thought, can anyone take a picture of it so I can identify it for future reference?

• Premium Member
n2shotokai

EXACTLY what I was doing last night.
http://fz07.org/thread/243/port-all-planned-uses-accessibility
So the connector under the tank is plugged into a blank connector with no pins. That link lists where you can order pin or connector. I am swinging by the dealer on the way home and see if they have the connector pins. If that fails I am cutting off existing connector and soldering on a new connector.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

The easiest way to do it is to tap into the running light wire off of the front turn signals. If current draw is low enough. I think the wire color is blue. The left and right turn signal wires are green and brown.

• Premium Member
The easiest way to do it is to tap into the running light wire off of the front turn signals. If current draw is low enough. I think the wire color is blue. The left and right turn signal wires are green and brown.
I think is what I will do.  n2shotokai, Thanks for the link and the input although having to purchase an additional connector seems like a PITA. Maybe im just over thinking it. I think Im going to tap into the DRL. I just want one simple USB to charge a phone.
I figure if I tap into that and throw a inline 10 amp fuze in it, that should work. Heck, I don't know.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

There is a plug under clutch side cover that is a switched 12v power. I think it has 2amp rating.

• Premium Member
There is a plug under clutch side cover that is a switched 12v power. I think it has 2amp rating.
Somebody has to have a wiring schematic of this bike...somewhere.   

bmwpowere36m3
Somebody has to have a wiring schematic of this bike...somewhere. 

Search "Yamaha DC accessory connector". As mentioned above its a two wire unused connector that's capped off below the gas tank. It's rated for 2 amps and is switched with the ignition.

As far as tapping into "other" factory wiring you must consider the current draw of the device your connecting, the device/s already connected to that wire, the wire's gauge and the circuit's fuse rating.

Nowadays most wiring isn't oversized much... so you can't go blindly connecting a bunch of stuff. Unless you like a crispy bike.

If your going with LED lights, for the most part their lower current draw. However an LED headlight or driving light probably wouldn't... and would need to be connected seperately thru a relay.

• Premium Member

Okay, 

After some further research and hints, I believe I have found the definitive answers.  Hopefully this will help others. The connector is indeed the one below (from what I gather).  Now, if I simply purchase the connector I can wire my USB port right to the DC connection.   Do you all think it a good idea to still put an inline fuse? 

http://www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html

MT Connector

Item # Male MT090-2

$3.35

Sumitomo-MT-090-2-M6187-2311-F6180-2321_zpsd8dsz3my.jpg

The location of the DC connector is better pictured here. 

20140802_194210_zpsjzxjpjbw.jpg

20140802_194122_zpsjidburpk.jpg

20140802_194105_zpsceabtcjf.jpg

I would think it would be just as easy or easier to use the OEM style setup like the link below and just put an inline fuse like they show. A ring terminal and an inline fuse is dirt cheap (check your local car audio store or car audio section at walmart) , and if you were looking to charge a phone through usb my suggestion would be to wire a cigarette outlet to your wire and fuse coming off the battery, then just put a cigarette lighter to usb adapter in that, (again dirt cheap at walmart or a gas station). This way you can charge a phone whenever you want, or you can have a GPS or other accessory with the cigarette lighter plug ran back to the same spot.

Ps.  2 amps of fusing isn't a whole lot, especially if you plan to run a gps, or gps and phone charger, or anything like that simultaneously.

Link for reference:
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=13&categoryId=24&itemId=4414&unitId=4477&unitName=2015+FZ-07&unitGroup=MC&unitYear=2015&items_per_page=12&page=1

As for the DRL's, best bet is just to splice off the wire going to the DRL's already, splices like this make it nice and easy with no soldering.

http://www.amazon.com/Solderless-Wire-Quick-Splice-Connector/dp/B00DX6PXXM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1432859896&sr=8-7&keywords=car+audio+splice

My .02$

Archived